• Dear Guest, Please note that adult content is not permitted on this forum. We have had our Google ads disabled at times due to some posts that were found from some time ago. Please do not post adult content and if you see any already on the forum, please report the post so that we can deal with it. Adult content is allowed in the glory hole - you will have to request permission to access it. Thanks, scara

Poll: Which of the following was your best win under Sherwood?

Which of the following was your best win under Sherwood?

• Home PL 3-0 win vs Stoke, Dec 2013

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Home PL 2-0 win vs Crystal Palace, Jan 2014 – First home PL win against Palace..

• Home PL 1-0 win vs Everton, Feb 2014

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
Fortunately, he wasn't in charge long enough for his methods to take any kind of hold. In fact, the only 2 things of note in his time were Ade landing in form and then him falling back out of it. Over that time span, he was essentially a fudgewit on the sidelines watching AVB's team play.

I've seen him on TV and he certainly doesn't come across well. Apart from coming across as a complete prick (which would be OK if he was talented, SAF was one) he also comes across as a person that would surprise me by being able to tie his own shoelaces.

He's not bright, he's not insightful, he's one of those terrible pundits that thinks traditional English style football has some value in the modern world.
He was in charge for 28 games which is substantial enough,especially for a manager who was only ever going to be temporary. I’m not saying he was amazing, but people’s odd hatred of the bloke is clouding their judgement on his managerial performance as we was far from a laughing stock....

He was in charge for 28 games which is substantial enough,especially for a manager who was only ever going to be temporary. I’m not saying he was amazing, but people’s odd hatred of the bloke is clouding their judgement on his managerial performance as we was far from a laughing stock....
I don't hate him, he doesn't matter enough for that. I just think he's a jumped up prick who doesn't know his place.

I think of his managerial career the way I do Tony Adams and Alan Shearer (except they were much better footballers) - dogbrick managers, over a generation out of date, who wouldn't have careers if it weren't for the old boys club that is football.

I don't hate him, he doesn't matter enough for that. I just think he's a jumped up prick who doesn't know his place.

I think of his managerial career the way I do Tony Adams and Alan Shearer (except they were much better footballers) - dogbrick managers, over a generation out of date, who wouldn't have careers if it weren't for the old boys club that is football.
Whatever the character assassination is of him, and I’m not just talking about yours but the many I’m not going to argue against,even if I don’t personally get it. All I’m saying is in his time as Spurs coach he provided some stability, and results that got us to 6th in the league and a win % (granted in a smaller sample size) that only Poch and AVB have bettered in twenty years. So his tenure was solid, and certainly didn’t make Spurs ‘a laughing stock’ whether you agree with what comes out of Sherwoods mouth or not....

Whatever the character assassination is of him, and I’m not just talking about yours but the many I’m not going to argue against,even if I don’t personally get it. All I’m saying is in his time as Spurs coach he provided some stability, and results that got us to 6th in the league and a win % (granted in a smaller sample size) that only Poch and AVB have bettered in twenty years. So his tenure was solid, and certainly didn’t make Spurs ‘a laughing stock’ whether you agree with what comes out of Sherwoods mouth or not....
I didn't suggest we were a laughing stock.

He was and remains one - probably will until he learns to STFU and stay away from the public eye. We stayed clear of that because we were mostly laughing at him with everyone else.

I didn't suggest we were a laughing stock.

He was and remains one - probably will until he learns to STFU and stay away from the public eye. We stayed clear of that because we were mostly laughing at him with everyone else.
I know you didn’t, another poster said WE which was what I originally responded to. Whatever people think of Sherwood on a personal level is up to them, but as Spurs coach he stood up to the task well and brought some stability until someone better came along. All I’m saying....

All of those great victories that he masterminded for us have seen him move on to much bigger things now.

Cleaner at Burton Albion last I heard.

No doubt it continued after he was in charge of us but if you think we and Sherwood himself weren't getting laughed at from all sides during his caretaker role I don't think you were paying much attention!

I did say more not exclusively.
But the other side of your view could well be that there was a certain sector of Spurs fans who so took against Timmeh that they seized on any negative, paid too much attention to any criticism from outside the club, and set their face against any 'not bad' thing going on while ignoring those who did not laugh or criticise.
Heck, there are people outside Spurs who laugh at us now. It is barely worth considering when assessing a Spurs manager, even Mr Sherwood.

Reactions: DTA
I was mainly wearing blue jumpers in the matches Ade decided to bother playing in.

My blue jumpers record that season was incredible.

Talking of blue jumpers. The season before that I was wearing blue jumpers every time Bale 'Bailed' out the Portuguese charlatans incompetent arse.

I bet I wore more Blue jumpers then you did under Sherwood.

We instantly looked better going forward under Sherwood, we got more men in the box and created more chances unlike AVB’s time when 65% possession was seen as a win even though we never created more than one clear cut chance per game.

Defensively we were just as bad, if not worse as AVB’s time.

So glad Levy got shot of both of them tbh and we’ve ended up with a proper manager in Poch.

I’d have to do some maths but iirc correctly AVB’s record was ok, he was fired for falling out with others at the club and the two embarrassing defeats to city and liverpool.

We’d stormed the EL group and got to the LC qf’s.

I believe that at the time he was fired we had more points from fixtures played than we had accrued in the previous season (which was a club record points tally)

Levy clearly lost faith in AVB and couldn’t see him continuing our trajectory.

My issue with Sherwood was that he was clearly benefiting from ade’s comet, mean reversion and new signings starting to find their feet, our EL place finish was despite his management not because of it and he was offering absolutely no suggestion of future success. Flinging his coat around and pulling fans from the audience to make substitutions, tactical gems like “shuffling across a bit and pulling stupid salutes to a man who regularly went missing merely earned him column inches, not respect.

I’d have to do some maths but iirc correctly AVB’s record was ok, he was fired for falling out with others at the club and the two embarrassing defeats to city and liverpool.

We’d stormed the EL group and got to the LC qf’s.

I believe that at the time he was fired we had more points from fixtures played than we had accrued in the previous season (which was a club record points tally)

Levy clearly lost faith in AVB and couldn’t see him continuing our trajectory.

My issue with Sherwood was that he was clearly benefiting from ade’s comet, mean reversion and new signings starting to find their feet, our EL place finish was despite his management not because of it and he was offering absolutely no suggestion of future success. Flinging his coat around and pulling fans from the audience to make substitutions, tactical gems like “shuffling across a bit and pulling stupid salutes to a man who regularly went missing merely earned him column inches, not respect.

Was more than that galeforce. Don’t forget the embarrassing 3-0 defeat at home to West Ham who hadn’t beaten us at the lane since 1999! We were totally bereft of ideas going forward and always looked like conceding with the suicidal high line he always insisted we deploy regardless of personnel available. He had one game plan and stuck to it rigidly regardless of who the opposition was.

I don’t have any fond feelings for AVB or Sherwood or their time at the club and am glad Levy came to his senses and got rid of both of them. I do find it amusing that it’s mainly AVB’s supporters are the ones who really can’t stand Sherwood.

Was more than that galeforce. Don’t forget the embarrassing 3-0 defeat at home to West Ham who hadn’t beaten us at the lane since 1999! We were totally bereft of ideas going forward and always looked like conceding with the suicidal high line he always insisted we deploy regardless of personnel available. He had one game plan and stuck to it rigidly regardless of who the opposition was.

I don’t have any fond feelings for AVB or Sherwood or their time at the club and am glad Levy came to his senses and got rid of both of them. I do find it amusing that it’s mainly AVB’s supporters are the ones who really can’t stand Sherwood.

Good point, that was the third defeat under AVB that season, they were the only three though. Also it’s west ham, they always turn up against us, City and liverpool spanked us under sherwood in the reverse fixtures too iirc.

He had a system he was determined to employ, he’d done the same the previous season which worked, when we won games under AVB you could see why, there was a framework, a very very similar framework to that which Poch employs now, admittedly with a much stronger squad.

On your last point, I think it’s a crime that they are talked about so similarly or that anyone could consider sherwood an upgrade, AVB is a qualified and knowledgeable coach with a clear understanding of the game and ideas on how to exploit the opposition, sherwood is a fudging macaron with no qualifications, however you feel about AVB, he was certainly qualified to take the job, sherwood wasn’t even close.

We instantly looked better going forward under Sherwood, we got more men in the box and created more chances unlike AVB’s time when 65% possession was seen as a win even though we never created more than one clear cut chance per game.

Defensively we were just as bad, if not worse as AVB’s time.

So glad Levy got shot of both of them tbh and we’ve ended up with a proper manager in Poch.

I'm 100% with you on that.

Good point, that was the third defeat under AVB that season, they were the only three though. Also it’s west ham, they always turn up against us, City and liverpool spanked us under sherwood in the reverse fixtures too iirc.

He had a system he was determined to employ, he’d done the same the previous season which worked, when we won games under AVB you could see why, there was a framework, a very very similar framework to that which Poch employs now, admittedly with a much stronger squad.

On your last point, I think it’s a crime that they are talked about so similarly or that anyone could consider sherwood an upgrade, AVB is a qualified and knowledgeable coach with a clear understanding of the game and ideas on how to exploit the opposition, sherwood is a fudging macaron with no qualifications, however you feel about AVB, he was certainly qualified to take the job, sherwood wasn’t even close.

Where is AVB now? Sorry mate in the end neither were good enough for us. But AVBs era was painful to watch and that was with the 3rd best player in the world saving his blushes almost on a weekly basis.

As soon as he didn' have Bale to Bail him out... he run out of ideas.

Where is AVB now? Sorry mate in the end neither were good enough for us. But AVBs era was painful to watch and that was with the 3rd best player in the world saving his blushes almost on a weekly basis.

As soon as he didn' have Bale to Bail him out... he run out of ideas.

the point is that sherwood offered nothing, he wasn’t qualified, where would we be now were he still in charge?

the failures of AVB’s tenure do not excuse the appointment of timmeh

(he’s managing in the highest paying league in the world isn’t he? he was always quite honest about his desire to make money)

AVB is making ridiculous amounts of money and winning the odd trophy. Sherwood have gotten Aston Villa and Swindon relegated.

AVB is making ridiculous amounts of money and winning the odd trophy. Sherwood have gotten Aston Villa and Swindon relegated.

You spelt:
"He is managing in China, because he has been found out to be the brick bag Charlatan he always was."
Wrong.

Back