• Dear Guest, Please note that adult content is not permitted on this forum. We have had our Google ads disabled at times due to some posts that were found from some time ago. Please do not post adult content and if you see any already on the forum, please report the post so that we can deal with it. Adult content is allowed in the glory hole - you will have to request permission to access it. Thanks, scara

POLL - Thread merging - for or against?

How do you feel about the thread merging?

• I love it, we should have one thread called football where everything goes.

Votes: 7 12.3%
  • I don't care either way.

Votes: 10 17.5%
  • I hate it, no decent discussions happen on here any more.

Votes: 40 70.2%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
FFS how about the mods answering the questions raised by the proles rather than chatting among themselves?

This response maybe a little antangonistic but to be honest it seems very true. This poll has 70% of responders (i'm not worthy enough to vote by the way for some reason) clicking the "this is broken" option. I would have thought there would have been more interest in a discussion on how to improve the site rather than just closing ranks with responses like "don't blame the mods". It's not about that!!

As I said earlier, how about an open discussion on trying to get the balance right? The evidence appears to be that casual users are feeling alienated. It really feels like a closed shop here. I even have to wait for a mod to read my post before it's allowed to be published on the site!!

#overcontrolled

It's a discussion.

They are discussing it in the open so everyone can see how they feel about it.

Makes perfect sense really.

Yes but they are only answering each other. I'm not making an attack on the mods, I'm looking for a debate on what level these rules should be applied. I realise the black or white nature of this poll is antagonistic so how about some middle ground where we talk about the degrees this should be applied?

The suggestion that threads are not merged very often is not relevant...the rules are being applied so strictly that people outside of the "locals" aren't interested in raising any.

This is a chat site. Nobody dies from what is said on here or if they put a post in the wrong place. It has crashed many times and all the posts have been lost. So fudging what?

What's your point?
In all of this kerfuffle, I have yet to fully comprehend the EXACT point of this egregiousness you feel. ESPECIALLY in light of what you said above. If it really is all 'so fudging what' then 'so fudging what' if you have to dig a little for a specific topic?

Swerving? How about answering the points raised by the posters in this thread?

And rude? I suggest you look at your reply in the Defoe thread which you merged.

Oh dear oh dear oh DEAR!

People are TRYING to answer the questions raised, it's just (as ever) some people don't LIKE the answers they're getting. I'm going to go back to what I think was one of the most impudent chippy little throw-aways I've seen here for a long long time. You said to Milo 'respect is earned'...it goes two ways. I agree 100% with Milo. Behave with a bit of grace and empathy or find another place to devastate with your repartee.

This response maybe a little antangonistic but to be honest it seems very true. This poll has 70% of responders (i'm not worthy enough to vote by the way for some reason) clicking the "this is broken" option. I would have thought there would have been more interest in a discussion on how to improve the site rather than just closing ranks with responses like "don't blame the mods". It's not about that!!

As I said earlier, how about an open discussion on trying to get the balance right? The evidence appears to be that casual users are feeling alienated. It really feels like a closed shop here. I even have to wait for a mod to read my post before it's allowed to be published on the site!!
#overcontrolled

If you bothered to take the time to read the forum rules, you would see that EVERY new poster has their first 5 posts "moderated" in order to avoid attacks from rival fans and pathetic attempts at winding others up. Obviously too much to ask of you, being a new poster?

And as for "#overcontrolled"...............if that's how you feel after 2 bloody posts, why don't you go to a forum where you are allowed to spend all day being shouted down and abused.

Alternatively, I suggest COYS where you may actually have to ask to be allowed to breathe before posting anything.

(and my apologies to COYS for taking your forum name in vain there)

#overcontrolled

You don't think the numbers in the poll are even slightly influenced by the wording of the alternatives?

It's important we all get the forum we want. Scara has made this platform for us and the amount of time we spend on it is testament to him and his hard work. As has been mentioned none of us are paid to do this. We just want to post about Spurs and talk to other Spurs fans. We've got no other agenda other than choosing to help Scara make this a more manageable place to run.

Ultimately the success of the forum is down to the people who post on it. Good posters make a good forum, and unfortunately and somewhat ironically I find those that are most vocal in telling everyone that the forum is brick are often the ones who make it less usable and engaging for others.

We're all on the same page, lets not make it a whole "them" and "us" thing, we're all Spurs fans (and Greg).

Again, we're happy to listen to what works and what doesn't to improve it. Most of the older posters that have been around way before me are very much the reason I joined up in the first place.

You don't think the numbers in the poll are even slightly influenced by the wording of the alternatives?

You're lucky he even game the middle option FFS

without it, it would be a landslide

Open your eyes mods. About 1 in 8 think the system is working

Or you could just continue to post inane drivel in this thread until people get bored of asking

I think, if you leave a new thread to run for a while, and eventually merge it into another larger thread, the posts seperate into date/time order, therefore posts from the newer thread (assuming the larger one was still active) would be mixed in and no longer make sense as they would not be answering the relevant posts.
As I say, I THINK that is what happens.

Yes, but that happens when the thread is merged anyway and is what people find difficult with the mega-threads.

Immediate merging makes live discussion difficult. A dominant topic will make it difficult to follow other things in the thread. Keeping the more topical things separate while live discussion is ongoing allows other topics to continue in the main thread.

While merging later will also mix it up, its more an archive feature for people who only come on the site occasionally. They might appreciate having everything in one place rather than checking several index pages for threads.

So it strikes me that keeping new threads separate while they are active, while people are having a discussion in more or less real time, helps keep separate discussions ongoing. Then merging when the discussion slows down helps keep things tidy and easier for people who come on occasionally. This way would benefit both regular users and more sporadic users.

Or you could just continue to post inane drivel in this thread until people get bored of asking

Inane drivel? Doesn't that constitute to around 90% of your posts? Your incredibly unfunny one word posts are often the reason I personally get bored of the level of discussion at times and hugely part of the problem.

Yes, but that happens when the thread is merged anyway and is what people find difficult with the mega-threads.

Immediate merging makes live discussion difficult. A dominant topic will make it difficult to follow other things in the thread. Keeping the more topical things separate while live discussion is ongoing allows other topics to continue in the main thread.

While merging later will also mix it up, its more an archive feature for people who only come on the site occasionally. They might appreciate having everything in one place rather than checking several index pages for threads.

So it strikes me that keeping new threads separate while they are active, while people are having a discussion in more or less real time, helps keep separate discussions ongoing. Then merging when the discussion slows down helps keep things tidy and easier for people who come on occasionally. This way would benefit both regular users and more sporadic users.

to be honest with you, that is what happens now. There is very little thread merging going on and the only mega threads are long established and reasonably active.

You're lucky he even game the middle option FFS

without it, it would be a landslide

Open your eyes mods. About 1 in 8 think the system is working

Alternately, perhaps some of the complainees could stop MOANING could try and get some semblance of a life and stop whinging like entitled brats. There's a thought. And inane? Seriously, I never thought I would see so may dummies out of prams over such an inane topic. And make no mistake about it southy, in the BIG picture, in the big wide world, 'thread merging' is really, really inane.

p.s. 1 in 8...numbers based on what? Those who have responded to this thread? Matey...think of how many members of GG don't actually give a toss about 'thread merging' as a major source of worry. I'd say it's the majority. That the poll went up in the first place was, in my opinion, a huge courtesy ESPECIALLY given how few times it actually happens. In fact, so far as I can see, the catalyst for this was that numpty 'ball-man' or whatever he was at Swansea! You couldn't make it up...

It's important we all get the forum we want. Scara has made this platform for us and the amount of time we spend on it is testament to him and his hard work. As has been mentioned none of us are paid to do this. We just want to post about Spurs and talk to other Spurs fans. We've got no other agenda other than choosing to help Scara make this a more manageable place to run.

Ultimately the success of the forum is down to the people who post on it. Good posters make a good forum, and unfortunately and somewhat ironically I find those that are most vocal in telling everyone that the forum is brick are often the ones who make it less usable and engaging for others.

We're all on the same page, lets not make it a whole "them" and "us" thing, we're all Spurs fans (and Greg).

Again, we're happy to listen to what works and what doesn't to improve it. Most of the older posters that have been around way before me are very much the reason I joined up in the first place.

A common sense, reasonable and very decent post. I absolutely agree. A complaint, or even suggestion, is always to be heard and dealt with, but some of the ludicrousness of late is just beyond pathetic IMO...

I think the mods on here are doing a good job and I appreciate that they do that job for the community. There will always be individual decisions that people will disagree with, but I don't see why it's such a big deal. People seem to take some kind of real life animosity towards authority with them into an internet forum with mods who are generally just decent dudes (and dudettes?) looking to help out a community of like minded people function.

It's just a human nature thing that the people who are dissatisfied will shout the loudest. When there were more threads people were complaining about there being multiple off topic/other clubs threads on the first page, and doing so fairly loudly by what I remember. Now people are complaining the other way, you can't please everyone all the time.

In short, keep up the good work mods.

Back