• Dear Guest, Please note that adult content is not permitted on this forum. We have had our Google ads disabled at times due to some posts that were found from some time ago. Please do not post adult content and if you see any already on the forum, please report the post so that we can deal with it. Adult content is allowed in the glory hole - you will have to request permission to access it. Thanks, scara

Politics, politics, politics

IMO, the most interesting thing about the vote was the statements from respective leaders at the end. May said she wants to talk to the leaders of each party. Corbyn and the Lib Dem leader said they will only engage in talks if 'no-deal' is off the table. SNP leader said they will only engage in talks if 2nd referendum and extending article 50 are on the table.

It's pretty clear the direction May has to go in if she wants Parliament to ratify any deal. The EU have said the next move in negotiations must come from London. Now is her chance to remove the red lines that she has boxed herself in with, but will the right of her party allow her to?

IMO, the most interesting thing about the vote was the statements from respective leaders at the end. May said she wants to talk to the leaders of each party. Corbyn and the Lib Dem leader said they will only engage in talks if 'no-deal' is off the table. SNP leader said they will only engage in talks if 2nd referendum and extending article 50 are on the table.

It's pretty clear the direction May has to go in if she wants Parliament to ratify any deal. The EU have said the next move in negotiations must come from London. Now is her chance to remove the red lines that she has boxed herself in with, but will the right of her party allow her to?

She won’t know what she’s going to do next. She makes it up as she goes along.

She won’t know what she’s going to do next. She makes it up as she goes along.

You are probably right.

https://www.theguardian.com/politic...b058cfe6d91614#block-5c3f8d42e4b058cfe6d91614

PM: no-deal will not be taken off the table
Theresa May’s spokesman has told reporters that the Westminster leaders of Labour, the Liberal Democrats, the SNP and Plaid Cymru have been invited to meet the prime minister later this evening.

However, a no-deal Brexit will not be taken off the table, despite Corbyn’s insistence it was a prerequisite for talks, he added.

The spokesman said: “The prime minister has been very clear that the British public voted to leave the European Union.

“We want to leave with a deal but she is determined to deliver on the verdict of the British public and that is to leave the EU on 29 March this year.”

A Number 10 source told the Press Association: “What we are talking about tonight is party leader-level talks between the prime minister and her opposite numbers in other parties, should they wish to accept that.”

It is understood that the prime minister will be making a further statement at 10pm tonight. It is unclear what will be said. She may well reprise parts of her earlier speeches today, but the party talks – if they do indeed happen – could prove crucial in shaping her approach going forward.

Was listening to a fisherman from Hull on TV who said he felt ‘proud of The UK again’ when he voted for Brexit and won!
Makes it sound like a football match or some form of conflict with Europe.
This type of mentality was exactly what Boris and co exploited, shameful!

Gove's speech is exactly why I can't see Corbyn ever being PM, it's all debateable but he's shared a stage with some dodgy people, has other links to dodgy people and when it comes to it he just simply won't win enough seats.

None of us have a crystal ball, BUT...whilst it's unlikely Corbyn's Labour would win an outright majority (as things stand right now), it is quite likely that they would be the largest party at the next election. The trouble with all the negative campaigning and "Corbyn's a terrorist" stuff is that it's been done already, and a helluva lot. I'd say it's priced in. On the campaign trail the Tories will actually have to come up with some positive policies to make the country better -- they have nothing. "Look at the scary Corbyn!" didn't really work for them last time, Labour's vote went up whilst The Tories lost a majority, after calling an election and expecting to wipe Labour out.

None of us have a crystal ball, BUT...whilst it's unlikely Corbyn's Labour would win an outright majority (as things stand right now), it is quite likely that they would be the largest party at the next election. The trouble with all the negative campaigning and "Corbyn's a terrorist" stuff is that it's been done already, and a helluva lot. I'd say it's priced in. On the campaign trail the Tories will actually have to come up with some positive policies to make the country better -- they have nothing. "Look at the scary Corbyn!" didn't really work for them last time, Labour's vote went up whilst The Tories lost a majority, after calling an election and expecting to wipe Labour out.

All true but look at the polls, he should be 10-15% ahead by now. This government is an absolute shambles and he still can't get a lead going by the latest polls where unbelievably he seems to be down around 5%.

You weren't listening were you? For once May was a little clever in what she said.

May said that she would speak privately with the leaders of the other parties, and that she wanted other parties to have an input into the process - that's not the same thing. Corbyn absolutely won't be present at those meetings except the one in private with May. She, I assume, will select (a) more reasonable member(s) of the Labour party who won't be obstructive purely because it serves their ambition.

All true but look at the polls, he should be 10-15% ahead by now. This government is an absolute shambles and he still can't get a lead going by the latest polls where unbelievably he seems to be down around 5%.

If you go back a few pages, we (I) talk a lot about this. First of all, Labour aren't down 5% in the polls. In aggregate, the polling is currently tied. Yougov polls are showing Tory leads, other polls show Labour ones or ties. It's all much of a much.

Whilst there is no movement on Brexit, there is no significant movement in the polls. I won't repeat it all again (I think I only posted it yesterday), I'm boring enough as it is! ;)

To discount the effect of the Brexit divide and act like this is 1996 is just not logical imo. When there is proper movement on Brexit and we will get proper movement in the polls imo. More so come election time (just as we had huge movement to Labour in the run-up to the last election).

You weren't listening were you? For once May was a little clever in what she said.

May said that she would speak privately with the leaders of the other parties, and that she wanted other parties to have an input into the process - that's not the same thing. Corbyn absolutely won't be present at those meetings except the one in private with May. She, I assume, will select (a) more reasonable member(s) of the Labour party who won't be obstructive purely because it serves their ambition.

You don't think that Labour moderates will obstruct May? They want customs union and single market, with no-deal off the table, even more than Corbyn does. Likewise the Lib Dems and SNP. Regardless of if she talks to Corbyn or not, if she doesn't bend on her arbitrary red lines, then she will get nowhere imo.

May makes a speech: don't worry I've got this. Normal Brexit service resumed. So...more last minute desperate maneuvers with scant support from her party, MPs or the country.

If May had come out and said, Brexit is fuking difficult to deliver, and what I'm going to do is give you something which is the least bad option; then maybe just maybe peoples expectations might have been ready. Instead what we have now is a let down. We were promised gravey goddamitt.

Last edited:
You don't think that Labour moderates will obstruct May? They want customs union and single market, with no-deal off the table, even more than Corbyn does. Likewise the Lib Dems and SNP. Regardless of if she talks to Corbyn or not, if she doesn't bend on her arbitrary red lines, then she will get nowhere imo.
I think if she finds an ambitious moderate they'll be able to see that being seen as someone who gets things done (even if it's getting minor concessions) would place them in far better stead as leader of the opposition than someone who just cluelessly obstructs without ever quite having a grip of what's going on.

Last edited:
I think if she finds an ambitious moderate they'll be able to see that being seen as someone who gets things done (even if it's getting minor concessions) would place them in far better stead as leader of the opposition than someone who just cluelessly obstructs without ever quite having a heaps of what's going on.

None of that changes the fact that if she doesn't move her red lines, she won't get any help. But she can't move on those red lines, or the right of the Tory party will rip the party in half, that's the whole reason she has given herself no room to manoeuvre. These aren't minor concessions, she will have to totally change course. Corbyn is probably one of the people in the Labour Party who could potentially support her leave stance the most (although of course he won't, as he wants the Tories out. As do all the people who support him). Get Yvette and Chukka in there, they ain't going to help May if she doesn't want to be open to soft-brexit or a 2nd ref.

None of that changes the fact that if she doesn't move her red lines, she won't get any help. But she can't move on those red lines, or the right of the Tory party will rip the party in half, that's the whole reason she has given herself no room to manoeuvre. These aren't minor concessions, she will have to totally change course. Corbyn is probably one of the people in the Labour Party who could potentially support her leave stance the most (although of course he won't, as he wants the Tories out. As do all the people who support him). Get Yvette and Chukka in there, they ain't going to help May if she doesn't want to be open to soft-brexit or a 2nd ref.
If they bring enough votes with them (and plenty in the Labour party would love to outmanoeuvre Corbyn) then May doesn't need all of her party.

If they bring enough votes with them (and plenty in the Labour party would love to outmanoeuvre Corbyn) then May doesn't need all of her party.

If it was that easy, she could have done that 2 years ago. "Nothing has changed" in that regard, the huge majority of Labour MPs are either pro Soft Brexit or pro remain (via 2nd ref.) But the other factor is that all of the firm leave vote amongst the electorate is with the Tory Party and UKIP is in a coma. Going along with Labour moderates to soft-Brexit or 2nd ref. is fine with me and I'll be happy with it, but the leave-means-leave crowd who have been happy to vote Tory may peal off to UKIP. Only needs to bring UKIP a little bit back to life at the expense of Tory votes and The Tories are out of power. So here's hoping! :D

Back