• Dear Guest, Please note that adult content is not permitted on this forum. We have had our Google ads disabled at times due to some posts that were found from some time ago. Please do not post adult content and if you see any already on the forum, please report the post so that we can deal with it. Adult content is allowed in the glory hole - you will have to request permission to access it. Thanks, scara

Politics, politics, politics

Re: European Elections, UKIP Tops British Polls

First off, I think you're on the money to wait and see. Nice one. But I think the reason the UKIP have focussed on immigration is that it's a touchstone word with several quick buzzwords to float around it, all of which can whip up quick pockets of support. I think they know it's a good 'seducer' so-to-speak, and it will be interesting to see what they can offer in terms of policy beyond buzzwords and phrases.

I think that blaming immigration solely for the issue at hand currently is far too easy, I really do. It's a lot more complex and actually revolves around what people are prepared to do for each other, what people are prepared to pay, whether people are prepared to acknowledge that public education has been **** for 15 years and whether corporations will ever sacrifice a % of their profit margins in order to help regenerate the parts of the UK which have been killed by cheap labour, de-investment and the rampant 'me' culture. All IMO...

Top post

I have decided after much thought to not vote in the up coming election I do not trust any of the parties, I have been a member of UKIP and the tories in the past. I do like UKIP's views on the EU and grammar schools.

But reading things like this trouble me http://www.huffingtonpost.co.uk/2015/01/14/jewish-anti-semitism-britain_n_6468118.html?

So that is it I am out.

I'm feeling like this to be honest. I'm so disillusioned with the political spectrum, it feels more than ever to be completely serviced for cronies and corporations, with us being a mere afterthought.

We're turning into the American model of government and politics.

I too am thinking about not voting in the up-coming elections. The only party I'd consider voting for are UKIP, but only because they're the only party that would shake up the existing establishment.

I can't relate to British politics at all. All I see is various parties picking up and criticising each other on various issues that are in my view irrelevant. Like Labour will pick up on something a Tory MP has said that might seem a bit controversial and make a big play about it and vice versa. Who cares? I want to know what these parties will do to improve my life and the country I live in. But they are more interested in petty point scoring and shouting at each other like school-kids in a play-ground.

The other reason why I would consider voting UKIP is that I feel the UK would be much better off outside of the EU and in fact I believe most nations (rather than the political classes) would be better off outside of the EU also.

The concept of free movement and common markets sounds idealistic, but it just does not work very well in practice, as like the old WW2 convoys, you're only as strong as your weakest link. When your weakest link is now not even Greece and Portugal, but Poland, Bulgaria, Romania, you've got problems.

I think the bloated, out-dated and blaze culture of the public sector needs butchering as well. It's literally got to the point where even if you trusted a political party to say they'd increase funding to the NHS by 20%, it would not matter, as the money would got to the individual trusts around the country who would blow wads of it on incompetent administration practices, defending medical negligence claims and remuneration of their own boards and dodgy private investments...

I have decided after much thought to not vote in the up coming election I do not trust any of the parties, I have been a member of UKIP and the tories in the past. I do like UKIP's views on the EU and grammar schools.

But reading things like this trouble me http://www.huffingtonpost.co.uk/2015/01/14/jewish-anti-semitism-britain_n_6468118.html?

So that is it I am out.

Whilst I think the position is a good one, I'm not sure basing it on a Facebook poll of 3400 people is particularly sound.
Hardly representative of the national view.

I genuinely have no idea who I will vote for, if at all.
It will take a lot of studying of manofestos

Have to say I agree with much of what's been posted.

Whilst I know the Conservatives are by far the best thing for the country I find it very difficult to vote for a couple of their policies.

I am disillusioned with Labour. Lib Dems are a joke. Green are not viable. UKIP are racist cnuts. But our local Labour MP is a good constituency MP, does do his bit. But his seat is safe as houses. So no point really.

I am disillusioned with Labour. Lib Dems are a joke. Green are not viable. UKIP are racist cnuts. But our local Labour MP is a good constituency MP, does do his bit. But his seat is safe as houses. So no point really.

Agree with most of this. UKIP are a party I can relate to on a few policies but then they let themselves down on too many. I won't be voting either.

I think there needs to be a blend of the major parties in terms of policy and direction but there is far too much history of mud slinging for any party to change direction even in the slightest. The Tories have proven that in this coalition government as there seems to be no flexibility between them and Lib Dems.

UKIP capture the essence of how I feel about the country at the minute but they are just a more rounded version of the BNP.

I have no idea who I am going to vote for but I am extremely interested to see how this pans out, I see a split nation

I think there needs to be a blend of the major parties in terms of policy and direction but there is far too much history of mud slinging for any party to change direction even in the slightest. The Tories have proven that in this coalition government as there seems to be no flexibility between them and Lib Dems.

UKIP capture the essence of how I feel about the country at the minute but they are just a more rounded version of the BNP.

I have no idea who I am going to vote for but I am extremely interested to see how this pans out, I see a split nation

This is one of my biggest problems with politics at the moment - parties are all spending far too much time digging at each other and not anywhere near enough time explaining how their policies will work for us.

Welcome to Tony Blair's world of politics.

I should know this and I could Google it, but is there a low level voter turnout that affects the validity of the election?

Ie, if only 10% turned out would the result still stand?

I doubt there is as not turning out is a choice to not vote. But low turn out does rather discredit any election.

This is one of my biggest problems with politics at the moment - parties are all spending far too much time digging at each other and not anywhere near enough time explaining how their policies will work for us.

Welcome to Tony Blair's world of politics.

I think this is because there are simply no conviction politicians on the front benches these days. Cameron, Milliband and the rest just say what they think people want to hear and what they think will get them votes. Of course I accept all politicians have to do that to a point, but the way Cameron has flip flopped on his green policies is shocking. If he really believed it was important he would have stuck to it, but the reality is he was just trying to appear environmentally friendly for votes.

I was watching a slightly older vid yesterday of Jesse Ventura (love that guy) debating with Hannity on Fox News, it was during the Obama/McCain election. He said that there should be an option which is 'none of the above'. I'd imagine this option would win a large percentage of the vote. Whether or not it would inspire change as a vote of no confidence I don't know, the real change needs to come from parties not being *****s to the biggest donor and/or getting their 'mates' cushy contracts.

We do actually need some sort of political revolution, not the type that inspires violence and ends up just being a load of ****s running around smashing **** up, but a concerted effort by the masses to inspire a progressive and inclusive direction. Unfortunately our governments and their big business/media cronies are doing a very good job of marginalising any effort to do this and dividing populations through fear-mongering and other such tactics.

I was watching a slightly older vid yesterday of Jesse Ventura (love that guy) debating with Hannity on Fox News, it was during the Obama/McCain election. He said that there should be an option which is 'none of the above'.

I agree though, there should be a box that says either "none of the above" or "no confidence"

I understand no shows could be considered the same, but if people vote with feet and actually bother to vote no confidence it sends a stronger message than DNS

I was watching a slightly older vid yesterday of Jesse Ventura (love that guy) debating with Hannity on Fox News, it was during the Obama/McCain election. He said that there should be an option which is 'none of the above'. I'd imagine this option would win a large percentage of the vote. Whether or not it would inspire change as a vote of no confidence I don't know, the real change needs to come from parties not being *****s to the biggest donor and/or getting their 'mates' cushy contracts.

We do actually need some sort of political revolution, not the type that inspires violence and ends up just being a load of ****s running around smashing **** up, but a concerted effort by the masses to inspire a progressive and inclusive direction. Unfortunately our governments and their big business/media cronies are doing a very good job of marginalising any effort to do this and dividing populations through fear-mongering and other such tactics.

While I somewhat agree with the sentiment that change is needed in politics, whenever people talk of 'revolution' (peaceful or otherwise) it should rapidly become clear that not everyone wants to see the same type of change. Non-voters are just as diverse as voters, compare a hardcore left wing anti-politics activist like Russell Brand to the kind of anti-politics non-voter that UKIP is attracting.

I also hate it when people complain about politics because 'nothing ever changes'. What they really mean is that they likely hold a minority view on certain issues and the people they voted for were unable to change anything. I'm pretty damn laissez-faire but I understand that my views do not enjoy significant support from voters, therefore it would be ludicrous for me to complain that I didn't get the kind of economic system I wanted after voting. The same is true for Brand, he wants the kind of left wing policies that the British people have no appetite for, then complains that voting is pointless when he doesn't get it.

Pretty much sums me up and my voting history. Voted for Blair in 97 much to my shame though he was the best bet at the time. Which is why I can not vote this time round as I think I would look back and shudder in 10 years time at who I voted for.

I think that it is such a shame not to vote. Even if it is a lesser of five evils vote, I still think that is better than abstaining.

I think that it is such a shame not to vote. Even if it is a lesser of five evils vote, I still think that is better than abstaining.

But thats the thing Milo I cant agree with any of the parties. I know I should vote and the parties all have parts that I wont agree with but the are such major faults with all of them that I can not agree.

At least in local elections I can vote for a good indie and European elections are easy UKIP for me. But I do not want to vote for them in the general election.

Back