• Dear Guest, Please note that adult content is not permitted on this forum. We have had our Google ads disabled at times due to some posts that were found from some time ago. Please do not post adult content and if you see any already on the forum, please report the post so that we can deal with it. Adult content is allowed in the glory hole - you will have to request permission to access it. Thanks, scara

Politics, politics, politics

Indeed.

.5% above base, secured when First Direct were feeling particularly generous. So every quarter-point rise hurts rather a lot.

I don't have a sensible view on what a rate rise means to the wider economy. Too many moving parts, and I don't really understand any of them.
It means a downward pressure (although no guarantee of effect) on the spiralling cost of labour. That can only be a good thing.

Come on - this in particular was brilliant:
People keep talking of wanting a rebirth of stale politics - this is what it should look like
Trump's a clam, but people in office need to have respect for the position they hold. At least he's not elected to that position - that would just cheapen people's votes.

They should also have a passing familiarity with the English language.

Trump's a clam, but people in office need to have respect for the position they hold. At least he's not elected to that position - that would just cheapen people's votes.

They should also have a passing familiarity with the English language.

I don't know if this is what you mean, but the letter to Javid was deliberately written in Sheffield dialect phonetics, as yesterday was Yorkshire day

I don't know if this is what you mean, but the letter to Javid was deliberately written in Sheffield dialect phonetics, as yesterday was Yorkshire day
Yorkshire day sounds like a complete pile of clam, and anyone in office unable to speak English properly (and I absolutely include dialect from the arse end of the country) should be sacked. That goes for the Mayor of London too.

That's not how it's worked in the past. Increased interest rates tend to stifle inflation - doesn't always work but the overall trend is there.
Agreed typically increased interest rates decrease demand, leading to decreased wages. This is the main tool the Government use to control inflation.

In the shorter term and with the marginal rate they raised it can lead to increased wage inflation. Normally when the we are near full employment and the employee has bargaining power.

As it is lots of the inflationary pressures are external so the effectiveness of interest rates are reduced.

Whats gauling is there is almost nothing to point to as positives of Brexit. And its so patently obvious that a. all countries trade most with their neighbours and b. frictionless trade is good and the EU does futher open freer trade.

Yes there are compromises, the UK is less agile, and trade agreements have to take into account the 27 other countires, but the UK, Germany and France have run the EU. We've more or less set things up for us. So many things are in our intersts and so few are against them. To me its the biggest sham of the 21 centry (in the UK). Did Russia play its part? Yes undoubtly. The vote was close, and millions in funding came from a businessman who has barly made a million in cleared profits, yet funded Brexit to the tune of £7m! Even billionairs don't fund politics to that extent.

Have to credit the FSB or whoever they have working on this stuff. About 5 years ago NATO started fuking with former soveit states, drawing them away from Russia. Russia's retailiation wasn't instant or obvious - until now.

Last edited:
Of course there are a number of things going on. Some that we are to fully understand. It would be churlish for example to attribute 30% of the populations vote to manipulation and being hood winked - there is something real in their desires that needs to be recognised. Whether that is malaise with politics, a need to refresh political institutions, over population, people aging, globalisation not represeting or helping everyone etc etc. There is a lot to explore. However, there is also an elite who want to manipulate politics for their own ends. Whether to create a low tax haven for the weathy, to row the UK back to Victorian time, or as part of a popularist movement funded by Russia or the right, people do need to deconstruct and see what is behind Brexit.

Back