• Dear Guest, Please note that adult content is not permitted on this forum. We have had our Google ads disabled at times due to some posts that were found from some time ago. Please do not post adult content and if you see any already on the forum, please report the post so that we can deal with it. Adult content is allowed in the glory hole - you will have to request permission to access it. Thanks, scara

Politics, politics, politics

Do Ireland want reunification though not sure they want it in reality even if they say they do in public.
Yes they do. Could they afford it and could Ireland deal with the practicalities of adding the extra counties? Well that is a whole other discussion but fundamentally the reunification of the island is a desire held by the vast majority.

Covert doesn't matter to you, I get the feeling if it was against your desired outcome there would be an increased level of outrage.

Yes they do. Could they afford it and could Ireland deal with the practicalities of adding the extra counties? Well that is a whole other discussion but fundamentally the reunification of the island is a desire held by the vast majority.
Speaking to my Irish mates they certainly do not

Not exactly scientific but all that I could find via Google

WITH DISCUSSIONS ON the possibility of a united Ireland being reignited due to the border row going on in the Brexit negotiations, less than half of people have said they want to see it happening

http://www.thejournal.ie/united-ireland-brexit-3734519-Dec2017/

Speaking to my Irish mates they certainly do not

Not exactly scientific but all that I could find via Google

WITH DISCUSSIONS ON the possibility of a united Ireland being reignited due to the border row going on in the Brexit negotiations, less than half of people have said they want to see it happening

http://www.thejournal.ie/united-ireland-brexit-3734519-Dec2017/
As with anything, it is how the question is framed in these surveys. There is a reticence to do with practicalities which is understandable but as a whole they do.

Do Ireland want reunification though not sure they want it in reality even if they say they do in public.

Emotionally - yes. Financially - probably not - NI is one of the poorest regions in western Europe. But West Germany took on the same challenge, and South Korea has always been ready to.

Northern Ireland isn't the real issue anyway. A border poll once there is a republican voting age majority (expected c.2021) will solve that. This is just a dress rehearsal for if a newly independent Scotland decides to apply to join the EU in 5-10 years time. Will the EU try and do a Neum along the Hadrians Wall?

So if there is no physical border then stuff and people can travel north and south without any impediment. So where is the customs line, and where are the border checks for nationality? There is only one practical solution as far as i can see and that is that the checks are at the ports and airports going in and out of the island. Northern Ireland is a special case then as a result, as it is now anyway (i.e dual nationality) and will be treated differently than the rest of the UK. Having the border at the Irish Sea seems the only workable solution except for one thing. The DUP are king makers and Ulster says no.

This always seemed obvious to me.

There are already in place separate currencies and governments, its not like they are completely integrated.

Move the "border" to where it is actually manageable.

It would be necessary, I imagine, to set up proof of eligibility on residence and welfare etc.

Potentially an ID card? Either way though, something which says "Yes, I am a UK citizen/have a visa and have every right to rent this house/use this service/claim this benefit"

Emotionally - yes. Financially - probably not - NI is one of the poorest regions in western Europe. But West Germany took on the same challenge, and South Korea has always been ready to.

Northern Ireland isn't the real issue anyway. A border poll once there is a republican voting age majority (expected c.2021) will solve that.

Is this really as cut & dried as you often seem to suggest?

I don't speak with any certainty, but isn't there some amount of cross-sectarian political affiliation in NI for example?

Last edited:
Why? I have actually figured that out yet...
No boarder with Ireland and a Border with Britain - if I was DUP I know I wouldn't want that, its a step towards their nightmare scenario... however if I were in charge of the Brexit process I wouldn't be overly bothered by what the DUP wants if it negatively effects the rest of the UK. Weak leadership again.

Why? I have actually figured that out yet...

In their minds, it pushes Northern Ireland further away from the mainland UK and closer to re-unification with the Republic, the exact opposite of their worldview.

Though they are fine being separate from the rest of the UK when it comes to abortion and gay marriage etc. They are nuts, but they have power because they are propping up May's fragile government.

May called a GE in 2017 because she thought she'd get a big majority, big enough to ignore the extremists in her own party. Instead, she lost the small majority that they had and is now answerable to the biggest nutters in UK politics (The DUP).

No boarder with Ireland and a Border with Britain - if I was DUP I know I wouldn't want that, its a step towards their nightmare scenario... however if I were in charge of the Brexit process I wouldn't be overly bothered by what the DUP wants if it negatively effects the rest of the UK. Weak leadership again.

To my mind, from an NI perspective, what changes?

The sea is there, it is a natural border, and people from NI would travel to and fro as freely and exactly as now.

There is no difference.

In their minds, it pushes Northern Ireland further away from the mainland UK and closer to re-unification with the Republic, the exact opposite of their worldview.

Though they are fine being separate from the rest of the UK when it comes to abortion and gay marriage etc. They are nuts, but they have power because they are propping up May's fragile government.

May called a GE in 2017 because she thought she'd get a big majority, big enough to ignore the extremists in her own party. Instead, she lost the small majority that they had and is now answerable to the biggest nutters in UK politics (The DUP).

Does it though? Would anything actually change for them?

Though I think you are right, its clearly a "when it suits them..." situation.

The sea is there, it is a natural border, and people from NI would travel to and fro as freely and exactly as now.

There is no difference.

Does it though? Would anything actually change for them?

Though I think you are right, its clearly a "when it suits them..." situation.

As I said, they are nuts. Unfortunately, they have a lot of power right now. Perhaps May could call their bluff, but for now she is trying to tip-toe around the DUP, factions within her own party and the EU so as to cling on to power.

I think there was some kind of naked cyclist parade as well, what a mix!

Would have paid to see that

Not much media coverage of the Tommy Robinson march which is why I walked st8 into it, I get they don't want to cover it in the media but would have been nice to have known to avoid.

There is no difference.
From a practical point they don't go through passport control now do they- can just hop on the ferry. From a symbolic point no customs boarder with Ireland but a boarder with Britain, even if you don't agree you can see the objection?

From a practical point they don't go through passport control now do they- can just hop on the ferry. From a symbolic point no customs boarder with Ireland but a boarder with Britain, even if you don't agree you can see the objection?

Not really, I think its a marginal change at best.

So you flash your passport or ID, so what?

Back