• Dear Guest, Please note that adult content is not permitted on this forum. We have had our Google ads disabled at times due to some posts that were found from some time ago. Please do not post adult content and if you see any already on the forum, please report the post so that we can deal with it. Adult content is allowed in the glory hole - you will have to request permission to access it. Thanks, scara

Politics, politics, politics

That's a weird way of saying sorry I misunderstood.

It's very much an economics point in both regards, WTO rules would be bad for industries.

I'm happy to admit I didn't fully understand the direction of tariffs and who controls what. However, as outlined we have the EU tariffs ourselves by proxy, until we change them, so there are tariffs on our imports too. And as you outlined, while technically possible for us to zero rate all imports once we get a seat at the WTO, its highly unlikely we would do this anyway. We'd be the only major economy to do so? So I'm not sure I did 'misunderstand' the general points. On the other hand I think you said WTO means a maximum tariff - which really is misunderstanding WTO terms!

My initial point was WTO was costly, and not in anyone's interests, as your second sentence outlines. Now I'm a lot clearer on the detail.

Last edited:
I'm happy to admit I didn't fully understand the direction of tariffs and who controls what. However, as outlined we have the EU tariffs ourselves by proxy, until we change them, so there are tariffs on our exports. And as you outlined, while technically possible for us to zero rate all exports, its highly unlikely especially for industries we wish to protect - whisky, farming etc. So I'm not sure I did 'misunderstand' the general points. On the other hand I think you said WTO means a maximum tariff - which really is misunderstanding WTO terms!

My initial point was WTO was costly, and not in anyone's interests, as your second sentence outlines. Now I'm a lot clearer on the detail.
Look at my responses I have always been clear that zero Tariffs was exceedingly unlikely and WTO levels would be crap for us. I was pulling you up on a statement of fact, not to be an arse but it makes it easy to disregard your other points which I agree with.

I have consistently said the MFN means that you have to treat all WTO members equally, however the Schedules that the EU have committed to are the Bound Tariff rates http://www.businessdictionary.com/definition/bound-tariff-rate.html. So again this means that they inherit the Bound Tariff but these are a maximum that can be charged, if we wish we can go below these levels but we would have to do this equally for all WTO members.

I am not an international economist but have done a fair bit of reading on this subject and have also provided a fair links backing up my statements. If you think WTO rules are different to this please tell me how and provide background and I will happily be corrected.

The reason this is bad to inherit these levels is the EU will have different objectives to the UK alone, we may want higher Tariffs on Sausages when we leave but we will be restricted by the terms the EU agreed.

Bound Tariffs

Bound tariffs are specific commitments made by individual WTO member governments. The bound tariff is the maximum MFN tariff level for a given commodity line. When countries join the WTO or when WTO members negotiate tariff levels with each other during trade rounds, they make agreements about bound tariff rates, rather than actually applied rates.

Bound tariffs are not necessarily the rate that a WTO member applies in practice to other WTO members' products. Members have the flexibility increase or decrease their tariffs (on a non-discriminatory basis) so long as they didn't raise them above their bound levels. If one WTO member raises applied tariffs above their bound level, other WTO members can take the country to dispute settlement. If the country did not reduced applied tariffs below their bound levels, other countries could request compensation in the form of higher tariffs of their own. In other words, the applied tariff is less than or equal to the bound tariff in practice for any particular product.

http://blogs.worldbank.org/trade/picture-trade-types-tariffs-explained

I don't think this is a good enough response to Grenfell, 7 months later.

https://www.theguardian.com/society...ial-housing-towers-reclad-after-grenfell-fire

Only three of the 160 social housing towers identified as dangerous after the Grenfell Tower fire are known to have been reclad with safer materials, leaving tens of thousands of people still living in “fire hazards”.

Seven months after the fire that killed 71 people in west London, the number of council and private blocks over 18 metres high across England found to be wrapped in similar combustible plastic-filled cladding has risen to 312, figures released by the Ministry of Housing, Communities and Local Government revealed. Almost all of those – 299 – are likely to be in breach of building regulations on fire safety. Officials predict the numbers will continue to rise.

Just over 100 towers that are home to people who rent from councils and registered social landlords have not had any combustible cladding removed despite panels failing tests. Cladding has been removed from 17 buildings, while the process of recladding has started on a further nine. The government said that it only knows of three that have been fully reclad, but said there may be more.

That's a tough question. As @milo says, there's not currently a lot to choose from.

I'd have to go with Jeremy Hunt based on what we currently have available. He has the right quality of education, he's worked in the private sector (very successfully), he's shown an ability to get things done in adverse circumstances and his policies (on the whole) align fairly closely to mine.

I think that this is looking like a smart call. I still think that he'd do badly with the wider electorate but he has done well to position himself as the potential candidate with the least enemies.

Brexiteers Trump fully agrees with you. Is that an endorsement or slight? But he believes he would have negotiated Brexit far better than our government did. A lot of people say that, a few posters on here too. Would Trump have negotiated a better deal? He said he would have been "tougher", would that have worked? What should have been done before, and what can the government do now as there are a lot of negotiations to come?

Last edited:
Trump is a pathological liar. Wait a couple of days and he will swear the opposite is true.

If you wan to take someone as an example to have a pop at brexiteers, you probably should try harder than picking Trump.

As yet, no deal has been negotiated, as you well know.

A divorce settlement has. The pending negotiations are "the deal". This is where we actually see whether or not we are negotiating well.

First point of contention will be when the EU refuse to talk unless we sign off the divorce bill, which is currently "depending on further talks".

We tell them to go fudge themselves, Ill be quite happy. We just agree and THEN try to negotiate, I wont be happy at all.

My dead cat would have negotiated Brexit than David Davis. Hardly a glowing endorsement.

Trump does well when he has the power.
The UK is not the power broker in Brexit. It actually has to be negotiated, not bullish ransom a la Trump

2 Issues I have with this:

1) Buzzfeed with a political scoop? Doesn't ring very true to me - a website that runs on clickbait and aims itself at the feeble minded doesn't strike me as the place I'd leak internal govt docs if I were that way inclined.
2) All new projections are downgraded on current forecasts because everything is performing worse than predicted. Are the new Brexit predictions being compared to our forecasts we're already not meeting or are they being compared to forecasts we haven't seen yet?

1) Buzzfeed with a political scoop? Doesn't ring very true to me - a website that runs on clickbait and aims itself at the feeble minded doesn't strike me as the place I'd leak internal govt docs if I were that way inclined.
2) All new projections are downgraded on current forecasts because everything is performing worse than predicted. Are the new Brexit predictions being compared to our forecasts we're already not meeting or are they being compared to forecasts we haven't seen yet?

These "reports" landed on all the big accountancy players over the weekend and my lad said it was a little more upbeat than most in house projections.
11-12% downturn is what they are working on and advising going forward from 2019.

KPMG are in a muck sweat over "other matters" and so they 'flaming' should be!

Because you are in the wrong demographic.
It's very believable.

Back