• Dear Guest, Please note that adult content is not permitted on this forum. We have had our Google ads disabled at times due to some posts that were found from some time ago. Please do not post adult content and if you see any already on the forum, please report the post so that we can deal with it. Adult content is allowed in the glory hole - you will have to request permission to access it. Thanks, scara

Politics, politics, politics

I understand all of that, which is why my immediate thought was "why not?", but as others have said, it sets a very dangerous precedent. And THAT I dont agree with.

At that point it is not about the subject, it is about what it means to be able to re-do any votes until a supposed preferred answer can be had.

We just had a general election a couple of years after the previous one...was that a very dangerous precedent? Or are you biased towards retaining the original result? No harm in admitting that.

So you are advocating voiding the BREXIT vote - ok I am in.
Only if we can void all other votes and have them restricted to those who understand economics.

Corbyn will need to look for a new job if we do. Maybe he can chase all the mice out of the HoP with his hammer and sickle.

We just had a general election a couple of years after the previous one...was that a very dangerous precedent? Or are you biased towards retaining the original result? No harm in admitting that.

I am biased towards the result of a vote being accepted, not reviewable - regardless of the result.

As Scara said, it smacks of the Lisbon Treaty all over again, which is simply not right.

Please dont pursue the idea that I dont want another vote because I do like the result, this is an entirely different point than that.

Though, that being said, I wonder what your view would be if remain won the vote and leavers wanted a re-cast?

It would be bad strategy from our side (UK) to say for certain that we will have a 2nd referendum, but I wouldn't be opposed to the government "surprising" us with one at the end, so as to ratify the final terms.

I don't think it will happen though.

I am biased towards the result of a vote being accepted, not reviewable - regardless of the result.

As Scara said, it smacks of the Lisbon Treaty all over again, which is simply not right.

Please dont pursue the idea that I dont want another vote because I do like the result, this is an entirely different point than that.

Though, that being said, I wonder what your view would be if remain won the vote and leavers wanted a re-cast?
I guess the flip side of that would be if the EU tool punitive measure after a Remain vote just because we had the vote.
Unfortunately the scenarios are non comparible.
But I would have been in favour of another vote if there was a significant change that would affect the UK by factors outside of our control - sensibly and rationally reviewing deals you are in is the right thing to do.
But we don't have the political landscape to do anything rationally.

Only if we can void all other votes and have them restricted to those who understand economics.

Corbyn will need to look for a new job if we do. Maybe he can chase all the mice out of the HoP with his hammer and sickle.
Not sure about that Mixed economies with strong workers rights seem to be the better run countries than those leaning to pure capitalism to me.

Everyone has a bias. To be objective is to recognise the bias. I am absolutely biased towards a remain result, no two ways about it.

The fact does remain: we voted for something that wasn't defined. If you got a Brexit with no controls on EU free movement, would you be happy to suck it up?

Nor is it the experience of almost anyone I know.

The most successful people I know are the ones that have taken the biggest risks and put in the most time/effort. The ones I know who support Corbyn have spent half their lives dossing in Bali or surfing somewhere and are now upset that those who were their peers are now living in big houses and driving nice cars.

Scara don't play the class warfare card...you know that there is one and that under neo-liberalism your class is winning!

Everyone has a bias. To be objective is to recognise the bias. I am absolutely biased towards a remain result, no two ways about it.

I am EU sceptic, for sure. I am a big fan of us regaining control of our borders. I actually voted remain. Everybody has their points of view.

I am also a big fan of principle too. And on principle I am not in favour of re running votes. That would be the case regardless of how the referendum went.

As it stands I think the fact that people voted for the complete unknown rather than what we knew (and most would have had their entire life within the union) is very very telling. I think it does a disservice to those people that remainers often talk down about that as if they were hoodwinked/stupid/racist or some such. I also think, those same remainers wanting a re vote after being so dismissive of others really does smack of being sore losers and wanting to get their own way.

I recognise that is generalisation, it doesnt apply to all and may seem hypocritical, but it is certainly the way things appear to me.

I applaud your honesty. Most are trying to justify wanting another vote as anything but a means to get their own preference.

I am EU sceptic, for sure. I am a big fan of us regaining control of our borders. I actually voted remain. Everybody has their points of view.

I am also a big fan of principle too. And on principle I am not in favour of re running votes. That would be the case regardless of how the referendum went.

As it stands I think the fact that people voted for the complete unknown rather than what we knew (and most would have had their entire life within the union) is very very telling. I think it does a disservice to those people that remainers often talk down about that as if they were hoodwinked/stupid/racist or some such. I also think, those same remainers wanting a re vote after being so dismissive of others really does smack of being sore losers and wanting to get their own way.

I recognise that is generalisation, it doesnt apply to all and may seem hypocritical, but it is certainly the way things appear to me.

I applaud your honesty. Most are trying to justify wanting another vote as anything but a means to get their own preference.

What was your reasoning for voting to remain? Obviously like many you had mixed feelings.

Sitting on my porcelain throne using glory-glory.co.uk mobile app

What was your reasoning for voting to remain? Obviously like many you had mixed feelings.

Pretty much the brick show that is happening now :eek:

I have absolutely no faith in any of our politicians to do a good job in the best interests of all, regardless of their party affiliations.

I am highly skeptical about the EU, but resolved a "better the devil you know" vote was probably best, considering the above.

Asi happened my wife voted leave, so on balance our household had no effect.

"The Tories have tried their version of Brexit (note: not the version) and it has slammed forcefully into a brick wall. It now seems obvious to me that the only people that can save them from themselves are the electorate."

The author campaigned for Leave? Not many Leave campaigners seem to be able to reverse their position. Credit to them for their honesty and lack of prejudice.

Oliver Norgrove has been saying interesting things about Brexit for a while. I do not agree with a lot of what he says but it is always grounded in reality, which sets him apart amongst Brexiters.

His take on today's deal is worth reading too

http://www.politics.co.uk/comment-a...eal-hasn-t-just-sold-the-country-down-the-riv

This is the most sensible thing i have read over the last few pages, what was it that Cameron once said?

Ha!

I have a facebook account. Something which, since Ive had it, Ive posted my own thoughts/entries on maybe a handful of times. Otherwise I use it to spam my mates with things I think are funny that come up on my feed. Which might be once every few days, I dont go on it much.

I have no twitter, instagram, snapchat, or anything else. And I certainly do not feel my life is missing something as a result.

So they've done phase one today, but no real detail as to how the hard border is avoided between N.Ireland and the Republic whilst at the same time, treating Northern Ireland the same as the rest of the UK. Unless I missed it, this seems like it will have to be dealt with in the trade talks, and I'm not sure how it gets any easier.

Meanwhile:

https://www.theguardian.com/politic...ead406c97142d2#block-5a2ac05a32ead406c97142d2

The EU and Japan have announced they have concluded negotiations for a giant free trade deal, AFP reports.

The trade deal, which the European Union called its biggest ever, must still be signed and ratified by both sides who first agreed to its broad outlines in July.

Once completed it will forge an economic zone of 600 million people with 30 percent of global GDP.

Under the deal, the EU will open its market to the world-leading Japanese auto industry, with Tokyo in return scrapping barriers to EU farming products, especially dairy.

What does this mean for the Japanese car manufacturers currently based in the UK?

Back