• Dear Guest, Please note that adult content is not permitted on this forum. We have had our Google ads disabled at times due to some posts that were found from some time ago. Please do not post adult content and if you see any already on the forum, please report the post so that we can deal with it. Adult content is allowed in the glory hole - you will have to request permission to access it. Thanks, scara

Politics, politics, politics

no I meant has all your optimistic predictions come to pass

It's just having faith in humanity. That it will kick back when it's exploited too far, and will try and establish something better

Degrowth is also the only choice, other than a dead planet and an off-world super elite.

Thought this wasn't going through? DUP will not vote for it and the Tories will not get the majority.

The longer we work on 20 year old population distribution data, the more and more undemocratic the system becomes (my vote is worth 20% more than yours etc.). The Boundary Commission is independent and has been doing these periodic reviews since 1832 - it would be quite sinister for any party to interfere with its process again (like the Lib Dems did in 2013)

Very unlikely the review will get through the commons; The DUP don't want it (apparently) and many Tories also don't want it.

Very unlikely the review will get through the commons; The DUP don't want it (apparently) and many Tories also don't want it.

These are only the English seats. It's managed at nation level, so the NI proposals are still to come. The previous ones though favoured both SF and DUP, mainly at the expense of the SDLP.

The Tories have to vote for it - it's actually their only hope of not losing the next election. You will get a few grumpy ones whose constituencies are being discontinued, but with natural retirements there will still be enough seats to go round for anyone who wants to stay on.

It's just having faith in humanity. That it will kick back when it's exploited too far, and will try and establish something better

Degrowth is also the only choice, other than a dead planet and an off-world super elite.
Where do I book my off-world ticket?

These are only the English seats. It's managed at nation level, so the NI proposals are still to come. The previous ones though favoured both SF and DUP, mainly at the expense of the SDLP.

The Tories have to vote for it - it's actually their only hope of not losing the next election. You will get a few grumpy ones whose constituencies are being discontinued, but with natural retirements there will still be enough seats to go round for anyone who wants to stay on.

We'll see -- I don't think it will happen.

The longer we work on 20 year old population distribution data, the more and more undemocratic the system becomes (my vote is worth 20% more than yours etc.). The Boundary Commission is independent and has been doing these periodic reviews since 1832 - it would be quite sinister for any party to interfere with its process again (like the Lib Dems did in 2013)
When was the last time they reduced the numbers of seats? This is not the same as the periodic reviews.

You are telling me what you want to happen again rather than what you think will happen - it seems like the Tories are the only ones who want this and they no longer have the numbers.

I think its quite sinister for the Tories to concentrate on anti-democratic quirks of the UK that negatively effect them why fighting against others that positively effect them (FPTP).

The NI comes out tomorrow - The Tories do not have a majority so if the DUP are not happy it does not matter if all the Tories vote for it.
http://www.bbc.com/news/uk-politics-41643467

"However, there are doubts whether MPs will agree to the plans, which would leave England with 32 fewer seats, Scotland six fewer, Wales 11 fewer and Northern Ireland - which will publish its revised plans at a later date - one less than at this summer's general election.

Prime Minister Theresa May is reliant on the support of the Democratic Unionist Party (DUP) for getting legislation through the Commons after her failure to win a majority in June's snap election.

The DUP opposed the last boundary review when it was put to a vote in 2013, while many Conservatives are thought to have reservations about the scope of the shake-up, which could lead to a scramble for seats as a host of constituencies are abolished."

When was the last time they reduced the numbers of seats? This is not the same as the periodic reviews.

You are telling me what you want to happen again rather than what you think will happen - it seems like the Tories are the only ones who want this and they no longer have the numbers.

I think its quite sinister for the Tories to concentrate on anti-democratic quirks of the UK that negatively effect them why fighting against others that positively effect them (FPTP).

The reduction in the number of seats is already enshrined in law from 2011. It has to happen or be actively repealed, which would be hard to do as it was sold as a cost and waste cutting exercise. It's only the implementation that is being argued about

I think FPTP goes deeper into the British psyche than it just favouring the two big parties. It's what we associate with accountability - being able to clear out bad governments. The distaste for coalitions has grown even stronger after the last two cases.

The reduction in the number of seats is already enshrined in law from 2011. It has to happen or be actively repealed, which would be hard to do as it was sold as a cost and waste cutting exercise. It's only the implementation that is being argued about

I think FPTP goes deeper into the British psyche than it just favouring the two big parties. It's what we associate with accountability - being able to clear out bad governments. The distaste for coalitions has grown even stronger after the last two cases.

" It's only the implementation that is being argued about" what you are saying is not the case - do you check before making such wide ranging statements?

http://www.heraldscotland.com/news/...osing_parties_to_scrap_seats_boundary_review/

Last night, Alistair Carmichael, the Liberal Democrats’ Chief Whip, urged the Government to stop wasting public funds and bow to the inevitable as the party declared: “The boundary review is dead.”

Cat Smith for Labour said her party stood ready to work with all parties to ensure that a boundary review could go ahead in a way that benefited Britain’s democracy, not just the Conservative Party.

“To lose 50 MPs at a time we are repatriating powers from Brussels as we leave the European Union risks leaving the UK Government struggling to keep up with the day to day requirements of legislation.

“They need to drop their unfair, undemocratic plans, as well as ensuring the review is based on the most up-to-date register and that there is appropriate flexibility to take into account community ties and geography,” she added.

A similar message came from the SNP. Its spokesman Tommy Sheppard said: “At a time when the whole country faces the huge threat of an extreme Tory Brexit, fiddling the boundaries of MPs’ constituencies is the last thing the UK Government should be wasting its time on.”

He added: "There is now no majority in the House of Commons for reducing the size of the chamber; for the Tory Government to continue to task the Commission to look at reducing seats is a waste of taxpayers money."

" It's only the implementation that is being argued about" what you are saying is not the case - do you check before making such wide ranging statements?

http://www.heraldscotland.com/news/...osing_parties_to_scrap_seats_boundary_review/

Last night, Alistair Carmichael, the Liberal Democrats’ Chief Whip, urged the Government to stop wasting public funds and bow to the inevitable as the party declared: “The boundary review is dead.”

Cat Smith for Labour said her party stood ready to work with all parties to ensure that a boundary review could go ahead in a way that benefited Britain’s democracy, not just the Conservative Party.

“To lose 50 MPs at a time we are repatriating powers from Brussels as we leave the European Union risks leaving the UK Government struggling to keep up with the day to day requirements of legislation.

“They need to drop their unfair, undemocratic plans, as well as ensuring the review is based on the most up-to-date register and that there is appropriate flexibility to take into account community ties and geography,” she added.

A similar message came from the SNP. Its spokesman Tommy Sheppard said: “At a time when the whole country faces the huge threat of an extreme Tory Brexit, fiddling the boundaries of MPs’ constituencies is the last thing the UK Government should be wasting its time on.”

He added: "There is now no majority in the House of Commons for reducing the size of the chamber; for the Tory Government to continue to task the Commission to look at reducing seats is a waste of taxpayers money."

The Review was required to be completed by October 2013 (by virtue of Section 3 of the Parliamentary Constituencies Act 1986 as amended by the Part 2 of the Parliamentary Voting System and Constituencies Act 2011), the Electoral Registration and Administration Act 2013 amended the Parliamentary Constituencies and Voting System Act, delaying the review until 2018.

So it's legally required to happen, unless it is actively repealed. The Lib Dem's wrecking of it in 2013 was only to delay it 5 years, not change that it would happen.

Labour seem more ambivalent, as most of their specific criticisms have been taken into account in this second version.

It's generally the Scots that are upset, because their seats are being reduced more to balance for devolution/the West Lothian question

Don't worry, I agree with you, I was just quoting something someone else said on here that I found tenuous at best and ridiculous at worst when used to support any kind of reasoning about a 'connection' between us and europe....it might of been Spursmeup ?

I am curious to understand how you see a genetic fact as tenuous or ridiculous?

Most Brits are a mix of Saxon, Viking, Norman etc which are roughly German, Swedish, French etc...aka Europeans.

A big ingredient of Brexit is/was migration, I think we'd all agree. But turns out the UK government could have controlled both non-EU and EU migration if it had wanted to.

Sitting on my porcelain throne using glory-glory.co.uk mobile app

The boundary commission, in doing their review, submit a recommendation to the government, right? It still has to go through Parliament. If it doesn't get the votes, it doesn't get implemented. That's how I am reading it.

The Review was required to be completed by October 2013 (by virtue of Section 3 of the Parliamentary Constituencies Act 1986 as amended by the Part 2 of the Parliamentary Voting System and Constituencies Act 2011), the Electoral Registration and Administration Act 2013 amended the Parliamentary Constituencies and Voting System Act, delaying the review until 2018.

Certainly seems to me they need to vote on it:

https://boundarycommissionforengland.independent.gov.uk/faqs-for-the-2018-review/
What happens when the review is complete?

The Commission’s involvement in the review will finish when the final report of the Commission’s recommendations is provided to the Secretary of State in September 2018. The government must then place before Parliament a piece of legislation called a Statutory Instrument containing those recommendations (which may not be amended by the government) and Parliament will debate the changes. If Parliament agrees the changes to boundaries, the new constituencies will take effect at the next scheduled General Election after that (currently scheduled to be 2022).

The boundary commission, in doing their review, submit a recommendation to the government, right? It still has to go through Parliament. If it doesn't get the votes, it doesn't get implemented. That's how I am reading it.

Yes. But their last 6 years' work has all be based on it having been made law that the number of constituencies would be 600, with every one being within 5% of 74,769 voters (except a few island exceptions). Those parameters are fixed by law.

In their own words - "The Commission wishes to make very clear that those with an interest in the review process should understand that the defined number of constituencies and the 5% electoral parity target are statutory requirements that it must apply and that it has absolutely no discretion in respect of either matter."

The allocation of wards to constituencies is the implementation/what will be voted on in September 2018

I am curious to understand how you see a genetic fact as tenuous or ridiculous?

Most Brits are a mix of Saxon, Viking, Norman etc which are roughly German, Swedish, French etc...aka Europeans.

A big ingredient of Brexit is/was migration, I think we'd all agree. But turns out the UK government could have controlled both non-EU and EU migration if it had wanted to.

Sitting on my porcelain throne using glory-glory.co.uk mobile app

I think the point is its irrelevant, more than "not true".

As to the migration thing, I need to look into it. It seems contrary to the fact the PM went to Europe asking for a facility to put a brake on migration.

Why would he ask for that if he had the tools already?

And instead of a flat "HAHAHAHAHA NO!" from the EU, why not point that out?

Back