• Dear Guest, Please note that adult content is not permitted on this forum. We have had our Google ads disabled at times due to some posts that were found from some time ago. Please do not post adult content and if you see any already on the forum, please report the post so that we can deal with it. Adult content is allowed in the glory hole - you will have to request permission to access it. Thanks, scara

Politics, politics, politics

Leisure and social = consumption

Experiences rather than things though.

So less of a drain on natural resources, and will also be the kind of more rewarding work that will survive.

Jobs in the future might therefore be more things like say sports coaching or cooking or in the arts.

That is the elephant in the capitalist room, this naïve notion that economies will just continue to expand endlessly. This fails to take into account of the fact of finite resources, of which energy is just one.

That is the elephant in the capitalist room, this naïve notion that economies will just continue to expand endlessly. This fails to take into account of the fact of finite resources, of which energy is just one.

We already consume what we'd need 1.5 earths to sustainably support. That rises to 7 earths if everyone was to live at western standards.

You just be careful not to use up all that Sun, won't you?

Better a friendly neighbour than a resentful lodger. It's a different country that is mature enough (now nearly 20 years since home rule) to follow it's own destiny.
Then we'd have a 3rd world country on our doorstep with no border. That would be a bad thing.

The market already deals with that issue, it's known as supply and demand. I can give you the basics when I have a bit more time if you like.

Better a friendly neighbour than a resentful lodger. It's a different country that is mature enough (now nearly 20 years since home rule) to follow it's own destiny.
Don't listen to the vocal minority.
% wise more Scots voted to stay in UK than British vote to leave EU.

Is anyone interested in having a little guess the size of the majority competition?
Not as big as many think would be my starting point. There are simply too many parts of the country that would vote Labour even if Ian Brady ran as leader.

I don't mean those that vote Labour and always will because they're the closest to their political standpoint, I mean the "My family's been voting Labour for generation" or "Anyone but the 'evil' Conservatives" types who vote without ever actually engaging a braincell.

Not as big as many think would be my starting point. There are simply too many parts of the country that would vote Labour even if Ian Brady ran as leader.

I don't mean those that vote Labour and always will because they're the closest to their political standpoint, I mean the "My family's been voting Labour for generation" or "Anyone but the 'evil' Conservatives" types who vote without ever actually engaging a braincell.

I'm just trying to gauge interest at the moment. If we've got ten or so people it might be worth doing.

My thinking was we'd each guess the size of the majority, closest wins. If anyone thinks that there will be a hung parliament, they should name the largest party and the number of seats. If anyone thinks that Labour will get a majority, we should do this for money.

400 Tory
125 Labour
55 SNP
47 Liberal

Majority c.170 (a bit short of Labour's 179 in 1997).

It's the collapsing UKIP vote that will be the most important factor

I've changed my mind on Liberals threatening Labour for second party though, after they didn't make progress in the local elections and after seeing more of how unpalatable Farron is

I'm just trying to gauge interest at the moment. If we've got ten or so people it might be worth doing.

My thinking was we'd each guess the size of the majority, closest wins. If anyone thinks that there will be a hung parliament, they should name the largest party and the number of seats. If anyone thinks that Labour will get a majority, we should do this for money.

What do we win?

If I get it right you have to go on cam and do a topless dance with custard.

Why the desire for Scottish independence?
That's 2 people saying it.

I support Independence for all countries. Gutterboy had a good idea with a British council as we are so close neighbours we are likely to overlap in certain areas, people living and working in both countries and transport schemes. But I think Scotland should be independent so we have better relations, from an English side I think less constant whingeing from a vocal section up there.

I support a united Ireland as well.

I support Independence for all countries. Gutterboy had a good idea with a British council as we are so close neighbours we are likely to overlap in certain areas, people living and working in both countries and transport schemes. But I think Scotland should be independent so we have better relations, from an English side I think less constant whingeing from a vocal section up there.

I support a united Ireland as well.
I agree, if they majority want it. In Scotland they don't.
I'm not Irish or have any real views on it to be honest, so same applies, if that's what the majority want then who are we to say otherwise.

It's the first step to de-growth. The idea of de-growth is to reduce consumption, reduce production, end the aim of full employment, have more time for leisure and social activities, and spread the remaining non-automated work around (complemented by some form of basic income).

A decade or so later we can then go to a 21 hour week. Evolutionary psychologists reckon man's optimum/ideal performance level is about 17 hours a week done in bursts (basically still linked to intense periods of hunting followed by sustained down-time)

It's also has an uncanny resemblance to what Karl Marx envisioned. A world where workers would go fishing half the time, a more advanced evolution of capitalism.

Sitting on my porcelain throne using glory-glory.co.uk mobile app

Back