• Dear Guest, Please note that adult content is not permitted on this forum. We have had our Google ads disabled at times due to some posts that were found from some time ago. Please do not post adult content and if you see any already on the forum, please report the post so that we can deal with it. Adult content is allowed in the glory hole - you will have to request permission to access it. Thanks, scara

Politics, politics, politics

I think we should formally open negotiations about taking America's place in TPP. That would change the EU's tone dramatically.

In which case they can stick their budget up their arse.

I suspect May would get some sympathy from any legitimate EU power holder on this issue. They've all had to deal with him, they all know what an odious little prick he is and I'm sure they're all perfectly aware of what a perfect symbol of everything that's wrong with the EU he is. Seeing as everyone has their own anti-EU factions to fight, making the EU seem like a place where elected leaders have discussions with other elected leaders can only benefit them.

Yes that would be the outcome re budget - they appear to be more open to it than we at the moment.

Eh?

How is there a TPP with no America?

It was always an extension of a Kiwi idea. Japan and Australia are particularly pushing for it to still continue as an 11 country partnership.

Japan is the 3rd largest economy in the world, Canada 10th, Australia 13th, Mexico 15th. Between the 11 there's still a market of more than 30% of the global population

It was always an extension of a Kiwi idea. Japan and Australia are particularly pushing for it to still continue as an 11 country partnership.

Japan is the 3rd largest economy in the world, Canada 10th, Australia 13th, Mexico 15th. Between the 11 there's still a market of more than 30% of the global population

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/business-32498715

Without the US does it definitely fail?

To take effect, the deal would have had to be ratified by February 2018 by at least six countries that account for 85% of the group's economic output. The US would need to be on board to meet that last condition.

Some countries, including New Zealand, have suggested some sort of alternative deal may be possible without the US.

But Japan's Prime Minister Shinzo Abe has said a TPP without the US - and its market of 250 million consumers - would be "meaningless".

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/business...da-urge-uk-join-ready-made-trade-deals-nafta/

Since then countries including Japan and Australia have expressed an intention to continue without the US.

“I think the TPP will go ahead, I think Japan’s switch in position is very promising and Prime Minister Abe said he wants the TPP 11 [countries] to go ahead. Could the UK join that? We wouldn't have any objection,”

http://www.straitstimes.com/world/t...ions-towards-implementing-the-pact-without-us

But right now, there is no TPP without America, unless they change the terms of ratifying the agreement. I didn't know Abe had changed his mind, I haven't seen him talking about it -- so maybe there could be something to join, or maybe not...and in any case, the UK can't do anything until we have left the EU.

It's dead in the water. Great news for the developed world workers, as this 'deal' would facilitate the export of more jobs to low rent un developed countries. I could just see the manufacturing jobs swooping down on Mexico. Also, it promotes loss of sovereignty, in that foreign companies would have the power to sue governments for any legislation that undermines profits. WTF? No thanks.

I'm trying to understand what's happened there. Is it that HSBC have lent money to a company for the purposes of that company donating it to the Tory Party? And nobody has declared it officially?
from that letter it appears that HSBC has lent to a company that is in financial difficulties and owned by the Chair of the Tory party. Questions raised over why a Bank would lend to a company that is in trouble and is donating millions to the Tory party, if they would not lend to others in this situation there is real questions with regards to what HSBC get in return. If they have a favorable tax settlement or the FCA let them off with a reduced fine for wrong doing it would appear that they have paid a bung.

Local elections today, have not voted as I worked for 5 hours today in my new part time job, then I worked out in gym and now going to do some stretching exercises before taking my son out to his tennis club tonight. Politics can do one tonight.

Lazy. Couldn't you have combined your stretching and voting? I imagine you're used to receiving odd looks by now.

Bets on turnout? I'll go 30%.

Local elections are like village fete committees.

Although at least they usually top the teens turnouts there used to be for European elections

Labour's Policies.

C_XTKfsW0AA9irW.jpg

Really nice, all paid for by the invisible tooth fairy and Bertie the magic dinosaur

Labour's Policies.

Really nice, all paid for by the invisible tooth fairy and Bertie the magic dinosaur

C_XT1LAXYAIJw_2.png:large

But still, that manifesto is simply too long. If Brexit taught us anything, it's that the public don't care about costed proposals, detailed policy plans, or anything that requires them to think for more than ten seconds.

Who cares how they're paid for? The public didn't care when the Brexit campaign was driving that ludicrous '350m for the NHS' bus around. They didn't care when every economic expert worth his salt was warning about the long-term effects of Brexit. So why would they care now about how Labour pays for something?

Shorten it to ten key, easily remembered points, and keep repeating them, hard and heavy. Forget costing (although, iirc, Labour are getting their manifesto costed by an independent third-party outfit of some sort, which will help with swaying the few people who take public finances seriously). Hit the Tories hard on education and the NHS, the key points May doesn't really have answers for. Commit to a clean, thorough Brexit, to take away May's key talking point.

Most importantly, *brand* yourself - *brand* like never before. 'Strong and Stable' is what the Tories are going with - something similarly vacuous and snappy needs to be put down on the Labour side as well. And maybe keep Jezza from talking about defense and foreign policy too much - get some Labour-affiliated retired officers and ex Foreign Office blokes to more eloquently skip around the 'Hamas' and 'nuclear disarmament' outbursts Corbyn has from time to time.

*Brand*, and win (or at least, avoid losing horribly). The public doesn't care about policies or how they're paid for - they only care about branding and how easily they're convinced by flashy ads and simple talking points. Go with that.

Last edited:
Labour's Policies.

C_XTKfsW0AA9irW.jpg

C_XT1LAXYAIJw_2.png:large

But still, that manifesto is simply too long. If Brexit taught us anything, it's that the public don't care about costed proposals, detailed policy plans, or anything that requires them to think for more than ten seconds.

Who cares how they're paid for? The public didn't care when the Brexit campaign was driving that ludicrous '350m for the NHS' bus around. They didn't care when every economic expert worth his salt was warning about the long-term effects of Brexit. So why would they care now about how Labour pays for something?

Shorten it to ten key, easily remembered points, and keep repeating them, hard and heavy. Forget costing (although, iirc, Labour are getting their manifesto costed by an independent third-party outfit of some sort, which will help with swaying the few people who take public finances seriously). Hit the Tories hard on education and the NHS, the key points May doesn't really have answers for. Commit to a clean, thorough Brexit, to take away May's key talking point.

Most importantly, *brand* yourself - *brand* like never before. 'Strong and Stable' is what the Tories are going with - something similarly vacuous and snappy needs to be put down on the Labour side as well. And maybe keep Jezza from talking about defense and foreign policy too much - get some Labour-affiliated retired officers and ex Foreign Office blokes to more eloquently skip around the 'Hamas' and 'nuclear disarmament' outbursts Corbyn has from time to time.

*Brand*, and win (or at least, avoid losing horribly). The public doesn't care about policies or how they're paid for - they only care about branding and how easily they're convinced by flashy ads and simple talking points. Go with that.
Are they genuinely stupid enough to not realise that ending HMRC "sweetheart" deals will reduce the tax take?

Why do they think HMRC are doing deals? Because they have a soft spot for these companies? Because they simply feel like it? They do these deals because those companies have more and better lawyers and accountants than the HMRC could ever have and it's all we will get.

Back