• Dear Guest, Please note that adult content is not permitted on this forum. We have had our Google ads disabled at times due to some posts that were found from some time ago. Please do not post adult content and if you see any already on the forum, please report the post so that we can deal with it. Adult content is allowed in the glory hole - you will have to request permission to access it. Thanks, scara

Politics, politics, politics

I'd've voted for Tony Benn, but Corbyn doesn't have the vision or spine to back-up his integrity.

Also the power behind the throne though is John McDonnell, who is probably the most unpalatable politician in the country

You have to wonder WTF him and Seamus Milne are playing at? It's like they are secretly a hired act to actually make Labour unelectable for a generation...

Did you use to whistle Ode to Joy in the shower, or did the liberal leavers' unholy coalition with kipper voters and their fears put you off?

I think that this is a bit silly. I think that the vast majority of remain voters think that the EU is far from perfect but that the country is better off in the EU than out.

I think that this is a bit silly. I think that the vast majority of remain voters think that the EU is far from perfect but that the country is better off in the EU than out.

See I do not mind that I can also respect that opinion just wish all the name calling had not gone on(not directed at you Milo more both sides of the campaigning in the media etc)

I am not a Labour man always been towards the right like to think of myself as centre right. Got to say the is more and more inequality in this country and I worry for the state of the country my son will grow up in. Mind sound odd and a bit of an about turn but I might listen a bit more to what Corbyn is saying over the next few weeks. I always had a pop at northerners who said they could never vote Conservative because their old man would turn in his grave.

Well I always said I would never vote Labour because I was not a lazy benefit scrounging taco. But maybe I should concede Corbyn has some good ideas. He certainly seems the most radical out of the leaders and I like a radical, one reason why I voted out in the referendum was because I like to think outside the box. I am not bothered if leaving the EU leaves us worse off(short term it might but doubt it will long term) so maybe I should vote for Corbyn because it might leave us worse off but still be the right thing to do.

Personally a big part for me will come down to the main parties policies on stem cell research, it is often brushed under the carpet in this country and not talked about where as in the States it is only the democrats that really support it, I am unsure of the stance of our main parties on it.

Corbyn's ideas are stuck in the 70s though

He's not a proper radical progressive like you are starting to get in places like Italy and Switzerland. He just wants old-fashioned state control over the means of production, not a twenty-first century solution like decreasing production.

Corbyn's ideas are stuck in the 70s though

He's not a proper radical progressive like you are starting to get in places like Italy and Switzerland. He just wants old-fashioned state control over the means of production, not a twenty-first century solution like decreasing production.

Things like tuition free university, free school meals for primary school kids, state-owned railways, not phucking over the disabled...these things still work well now, in other western democracies. Nobody wants to nationalise your socks.

I think a lot voted remain reluctantly out of trust/loyalty to Cameron and because of project fear. I don't think you will find many/any EU flag waving Tories. The exceptions perhaps being west London and parts of Bristol.

I disagree. I think that there are plenty of liberal Tories who naturally support EU membership. Much of their support from business is pro-EU too.

The split on the referendum ran across party lines (at least it did in the Conservatives and Labour). The key determining factors for both appear to be age and education. If you are young and went to university, you are far more likely to have voted remain and the inverse is also true. This also helps explain the difference in voting between metropolitan and non-metropolitan areas.

It will be interesting to see how this plays out in the election.

Current polling suggest that Brexit is only third on most voters list of issues, so it concerns voters less than politics nerds.

I would expect the Tories to lose votes in the major cities. Not just because of Brexit but because I think that May's illiberal politics will be put off voters there.

The question is how many seats will the Conservatives pick up outside of the major cities. Is there polling position consistent across non-metropolitan England or are they just putting on votes where they already have them and do not need them.

Things like tuition free university, free school meals for primary school kids, state-owned railways, not phucking over the disabled...these things still work well now, in other western democracies. Nobody wants to nationalise your socks.

Elections are won and lost on two things. Who will make the best Prime Minister and who will run the economy best. Without leads on these, Labour are really going to struggle.

I think that the other problem Labour will have is that they will not trim their message down to a handful of easy to sell/remember key messages. They will go off message and voters will not know what they are offering.

http://www.politico.eu/article/theresa-mays-press-secretary-quits/

Theresa May’s press secretary quits
Press Secretary Lizzie Loudon is the second departure from the prime minister’s team in a week.

By CHARLIE COOPER

4/21/17, 1:29 PM CET

Updated 4/21/17, 1:30 PM CET

LONDON — Theresa May’s inner circle has seen its second high-profile departure in the space of a week, after the prime minister’s press secretary Lizzie Loudon announced she was quitting Friday.

Loudon follows director of communications Katie Perrior, whose exit was confirmed on Tuesday, the day May called a snap election.

The prime minister’s official spokeswoman Helen Bower, and her deputy Greg Swift, have also left Number 10 in recent months, with Bower joining the Foreign Office and Swift moving to the Department for Exiting the European Union.

The snap election announcement has sparked a flurry of moves at the top levels of government and within the Conservative party. Former spokesman for The Sun newspaper, Dylan Sharpe, has joined the Department for Work and Pensions, as maternity cover for special adviser Lottie Dexter. Sharpe is the latest high-profile figure from a Conservative-supporting newspaper to join the government, in a move that is likely to spark further accusations of bias from the Labour party.

Perrior’s departure followed reports of a rift with May’s chief of staff Fiona Hill, who alongside her co-chief Nick Timothy is expected to act as campaign manager during the election.
Loudon, who worked on the Vote Leave campaign before supporting Theresa May’s leadership bid and joining her in Number 10, confirmed her departure in a message to journalists. She said it had always been her intention that her departure from government to join the Vote Leave campaign would be final, but said she had been “honored” to work with May.

Prior to working with Vote Leave, Loudon was a special adviser to the former Work and Pensions Secretary Iain Duncan Smith, who quit David Cameron’s government in March last year and went on to campaign for Leave. Loudon told journalists she would now “move on to other things.”

The string of departures from Number 10 has been linked to May’s highly controlled leadership style. Government officials frequently report that power over government messaging and media strategy is heavily concentrated in the hands of “the chiefs,” Hill and Timothy, and that more junior members of staff have limited freedom to operate.

I feel for Kier Starmer, he is bright and competent. His calls on Brexit have largely been right but he has been completely undermined by Corbyn and McDonnell and the resulting position is a fudge.

Haven't been following this very closely; Can you give us a bit more detail on what you mean here?

Interesting; can you give me some links/examples?

I wonder if both Tory and Labour could lose out in this election and we even get a hung parliament (see this link on Theresa May asking her MPs for manifesto ideas lol: https://www.theguardian.com/politic...ants-conservative-mps-to-help-write-manifesto)

I guess it could be a game of who can look the least shambolic

I'll see if i can find some links. It has happened a couple of times around the times of the parliamentary debates.

Unfortunately, they carry on like they are still on the back benches and consistency of message isn't important.

I'll see if i can find some links. It has happened a couple of times around the times of the parliamentary debates.

Unfortunately, they carry on like they are still on the back benches and consistency of message isn't important.

Yeah; the backbencher mentality seems to be what is their undoing (or at least not getting away from that mentality).
It's interesting: Has there ever been a backbencher catapulted into a more frontline political position that has adjusted well to being a leader (of sorts)?

Yeah; the backbencher mentality seems to be what is their undoing (or at least not getting away from that mentality).
It's interesting: Has there ever been a backbencher catapulted into a more frontline political position that has adjusted well to being a leader (of sorts)?

I cannot think of one and certainly not one who had spent so long on the back benches.

I don't think he is interested in getting away from it because it would require him to make concessions to colleagues in order to reach a line that they can all stick to.

I will admit that Corbyn is the most likeable leader in a general election i can ever remember.

Still not keen on his policies though some are not bad. But he is a decent human being.

stranger things have happened over the last 5 years or so. The so called bright folks said a few things that have not transpired.

(1) UKIP would not win any seats in the Local elections of 5 years back, guess what the not only won seats they took control of some councils.

(2) Corbyn would never gets enough votes to win the leadership of his party ( he has done it twice now)

(3) The vote for leaving the EU would be a remain vote ( guess what the were wrong)

(4) Trump would never win the vote to become President ( guess what they were wrong again).

All these things happened because folks were fed up and wanted change, so whose to say it will not happen again?

The good thing for May is that she may attract voters from the other parties who want to make sure that Brexit happens the way she said it will.

stranger things have happened over the last 5 years or so. The so called bright folks said a few things that have not transpired.

(1) UKIP would not win any seats in the Local elections of 5 years back, guess what the not only won seats they took control of some councils.

(2) Corbyn would never gets enough votes to win the leadership of his party ( he has done it twice now)

(3) The vote for leaving the EU would be a remain vote ( guess what the were wrong)

(4) Trump would never win the vote to become President ( guess what they were wrong again).

All these things happened because folks were fed up and wanted change, so whose to say it will not happen again?

The good thing for May is that she may attract voters from the other parties who want to make sure that Brexit happens the way she said it will.

Out of interest do you want 'hard brit exit'?

She's said very little about what her vision of Brexit and our future relationship with the EU is. I doubt that she will want to elaborate on this during the election campaign either.

Back