• Dear Guest, Please note that adult content is not permitted on this forum. We have had our Google ads disabled at times due to some posts that were found from some time ago. Please do not post adult content and if you see any already on the forum, please report the post so that we can deal with it. Adult content is allowed in the glory hole - you will have to request permission to access it. Thanks, scara

Politics, politics, politics

Out of curiosity where does your image of EU government come from? What do we base our judgments of these slightly boring EU offices and workers on?

Having seen first hand how ineffective our own uk Ministries can be, I've found the EU equivalent Commission relatively effective. It attracts some of the best people from EU countries, and has less staff than Birmingham city council.

My aunt used to work for the EU when my uncle was based at nearby NATO HQ. She said it made Terry Gilliam's Brazil world seem appealing. Brussels the city is also a bit of a brickhole, so she just couldn't wait till his next posting to get out.

Because we are a signatory to them through our membership of the EU. It would take us an age to get into the WTO if we reneged on agreements.
I don't think anyone's going to complain about us removing their export quotas to us.

I don't think anyone's going to complain about us removing their export quotas to us.

We need to extract ourselves from the EU tariff rate quotas which were designed to cover the whole block. The EU will get to present their proposals first and will have the opportunity to register objections to our proposals.

It would not be sensible to just take a fixed percentage across the board because that could harm British business by having cheap imports that undercut them or offer protection to our non-existent citrus farmers.

Removing all quotas would leave British business with no protection and make it virtually impossible for us to apply quotas in the future.

Once we open negotiations on rate quotas, any WTO can register a trade dispute. They have an incentive to do so because it could give their producers greater access to our markets.

We are going to want to avoid as many disputes as possible to allow a smooth transfer.

On Monday Fox announced that our plan was to copy and paste the EU's tariffs. So we know that we are going to be looking to apply the same rates (at least initially). It's at what volumes that will prove tricky.

Anyway, this is all academic since May said that she wanted a "red, white and blue Brexit". I wished she's said this from the off and saved us all from unnecessary fretting.

Out of curiosity where does your image of EU government come from? What do we base our judgments of these slightly boring EU offices and workers on?

Having seen first hand how ineffective our own uk Ministries can be, I've found the EU equivalent Commission relatively effective. It attracts some of the best people from EU countries, and has less staff than Birmingham city council.

Sitting on my porcelain throne using glory-glory.co.uk mobile app

On information from my daughter, who deals with the organisation daily.

We need to extract ourselves from the EU tariff rate quotas which were designed to cover the whole block. The EU will get to present their proposals first and will have the opportunity to register objections to our proposals.

It would not be sensible to just take a fixed percentage across the board because that could harm British business by having cheap imports that undercut them or offer protection to our non-existent citrus farmers.

Removing all quotas would leave British business with no protection and make it virtually impossible for us to apply quotas in the future.

Once we open negotiations on rate quotas, any WTO can register a trade dispute. They have an incentive to do so because it could give their producers greater access to our markets.

We are going to want to avoid as many disputes as possible to allow a smooth transfer.

On Monday Fox announced that our plan was to copy and paste the EU's tariffs. So we know that we are going to be looking to apply the same rates (at least initially). It's at what volumes that will prove tricky.
You're looking at this from a very protectionist standpoint.

I don't feel the need to prop up uncompetitive industries with tariffs, quotas and subsidies any more than I want to prop up coal mines where it costs more to extract the coal than it's worth.

Extricating ourselves from the ruinous cycle of tariffs and failure is one of the best reasons to be leaving the EU.

I don't feel the need to prop up uncompetitive industries with tariffs, quotas and subsidies any more than I want to prop up coal mines where it costs more to extract the coal than it's worth.

Extricating ourselves from the ruinous cycle of tariffs and failure is one of the best reasons to be leaving the EU.

I'm speculating on what is ahead of us, not saying what I would do.

Is he not looking at what the government would want from negotiations and raising concerns or do you think that they would have the same goals as you?

Is he not looking at what the government would want from negotiations and raising concerns or do you think that they would have the same goals as you?
If the government want to throw money away at being protectionist, then we may as well stay in the EU.

This is our chance to trade like a modern, forward-thinking nation, rather than some 1970s throwback that just tinkles money all over any industry that can't modernise.

If the government want to throw money away at being protectionist, then we may as well stay in the EU.

This is our chance to trade like a modern, forward-thinking nation, rather than some 1970s throwback that just tinkles money all over any industry that can't modernise.
Do you think its likely though? I do not and have not seen any indication that it would be the case.

-What modern forward thinking nation are you basing this on, would like to read up on them and see what works and what doesn't. If there are any social issues that occur due to the policy.

Do you think its likely though? I do not and have not seen any indication that it would be the case.

-What modern forward thinking nation are you basing this on, would like to read up on them and see what works and what doesn't. If there are any social issues that occur due to the policy.
Pretty much every country outside the EU and Trump's US is working on reducing tariffs and quotas. They're a thing of the past, they increase costs, decrease expendable income and plaster over the cracks of inefficient industry.

The government might not be bold enough to take the step immediately, but it has to be the aim of any sensible government. The same party decided decades ago that it was better to import coal and gas than to spend much more propping up dead industries - it needs to do so again.

Last edited:
images

Hmm...i see what your sentiment is and i can see why that sentiment exists...however looking at things as someone of African background, if anything it often looks like the plans on global scale are actually the opposite...perhaps for another thread...!

I'd also like to point out that as a regular Hilton customer and lover of a good steak, I thoroughly disapprove of any Hilton beef quotas.

It would be politically impossible. The government's reputation and Brexit strategy could not survive a couple of symbolic business closures which is why they have made the promises that they have to Nissan and others. I think that May is also instinctively a protectionist.

With regards to the WTO, I think that a smarter move would be to stay in the customs union whilst we work out where we are going. Transposing the EU's tariffs is obviously being done to try and minimise the risk of our membership of the WTO being held up but it does leave us with a load of tariffs that do not suit us and we still have the tariff rate quota issue to overcome.

It would be politically impossible. The government's reputation and Brexit strategy could not survive a couple of symbolic business closures which is why they have made the promises that they have to Nissan and others. I think that May is also instinctively a protectionist.

With regards to the WTO, I think that a smarter move would be to stay in the customs union whilst we work out where we are going. Transposing the EU's tariffs is obviously being done to try and minimise the risk of our membership of the WTO being held up but it does leave us with a load of tariffs that do not suit us and we still have the tariff rate quota issue to overcome.
I think this is their chance to blame any failures on the EU and the restrictions we've had in place.

They only get to use it once, they should not waste it.

I think this is their chance to blame any failures on the EU and the restrictions we've had in place.

They only get to use it once, they should not waste it.

The Nissan deal and Fox's statement on Monday point to that ship having sailed.

I also don't think trying to blame the EU would wash if a couple of high profile companies quit the UK or folded.

The Nissan deal and Fox's statement on Monday point to that ship having sailed.

I also don't think trying to blame the EU would wash if a couple of high profile companies quit the UK or folded.
I don't imagine it's the high profile ones that are at risk. They're already working in a global marketplace and are already competing outside of the UK.

Nissan are an entirely different prospect as they rely on being in the UK to get around the EU's retarded protectionism. That won't change no matter how much we ditch quotas and tariffs because the EU is still stuck in the 1970s

Back