• Dear Guest, Please note that adult content is not permitted on this forum. We have had our Google ads disabled at times due to some posts that were found from some time ago. Please do not post adult content and if you see any already on the forum, please report the post so that we can deal with it. Adult content is allowed in the glory hole - you will have to request permission to access it. Thanks, scara

Politics, politics, politics

Roger-Moore.png

Too subtle - I think I get it.

Olney should vote as she sees fit. She ran on an anti-Brexit ticket and was elected. I can see why she would feel like she has a mandate to vote against.
She is on the opposite side of the same coin as the "hard brexit" UKIP nutcases. It's stamping her feet like a child and playing into the hands of UKIP, the real threat to progressive politics and who will take our country back 40 Years. We need responsible politicians to unify a deeply divided country not to continue to stoke up division and hatred with unachievable aims. What is the point of her voting against triggering article 50 when a consensus of politicians will vote to trigger? It's a waste, she would be better serving her constituents by scrutinising the negotiating strategy and then the eventual deal with the EU. But then the Lib Dems are good at making empty promises to win votes.

She is on the opposite side of the same coin as the "hard brexit" UKIP nutcases. It's stamping her feet like a child and playing into the hands of UKIP, the real threat to progressive politics and who will take our country back 40 Years. We need responsible politicians to unify a deeply divided country not to continue to stoke up division and hatred with unachievable aims. What is the point of her voting against triggering article 50 when a consensus of politicians will vote to trigger? It's a waste, she would be better serving her constituents by scrutinising the negotiating strategy and then the eventual deal with the EU. But then the Lib Dems are good at making empty promises to win votes.

My preferred approach would be to scrutinise and to set objectives/targets for our negotiations with the final deal coming back to parliament.

Only has been elected on a commitment to vote against A50, so it seems churlish to me to object to her doing so.

Last edited:
One of the wider thoughts I have had with the way global politics has shifted, is whether our attempts to interlink and globalize go against a basic, feral tribal instinct in mankind which dictates that we are essentially always going to be 'tribal' minded versus communal? I personally don't want it to be true, but history and anthropology seems to suggest that 'civilization' always regresses to the basest instincts of tribalism over mass inclusion. Again, NOT my way of living but something which 'could' appear to be the way it is? Thoughts?

Sitting on my porcelain throne using glory-glory.co.uk mobile app

One of the wider thoughts I have had with the way global politics has shifted, is whether our attempts to interlink and globalize go against a basic, feral tribal instinct in mankind which dictates that we are essentially always going to be 'tribal' minded versus communal? I personally don't want it to be true, but history and anthropology seems to suggest that 'civilization' always regresses to the basest instincts of tribalism over mass inclusion. Again, NOT my way of living but something which 'could' appear to be the way it is? Thoughts?

I think that it is basically a reaction to everything going tits up in 2008. If there was more money then there would be less problems.

Some interesting thoughts there. I certainly do think your point about tribalism can hold true many times across the world over; religion and access to resources playing key roles.

BUT when discussing the attempts to interlink and globalize ask yourself:

- Are these attempts happening organically or being 'forced'?
- WHO is driving these attempts and for what purposes and for WHO's benefit?

Some interesting thoughts there. I certainly do think your point about tribalism can hold true many times across the world over; religion and access to resources playing key roles.

BUT when discussing the attempts to interlink and globalize ask yourself:

- Are these attempts happening organically or being 'forced'?
- WHO is driving these attempts and for what purposes and for WHO's benefit?

All I can say is...indeed! FWIW all tribes and types are welcome in my wheelhouse so long as they aren't qunts!

A good day alround because Five Star won in Italy, who for me appear to be quite noble and progressive radicals. I need to ask my Italian friends more about them, but their approach and beliefs reminds me a bit of the Anabaptists, who I've always been interested in.
Frighteningly again though, you are seeing a potential resurgence in the anti-immigration Northern League. These reforms would have helped the Italian economy in my opinion, their banks are in serious trouble, too much bad debt not enough capital. It takes far too long for laws to be passed. The Italians true to form reject common sense. Rejected a good guy in Renzi imo- good centre left politician.

Last edited:
Frighteningly again though, you are seeing a potential resurgence in the anti-immigration Northern League. These reforms would have helped the Italian economy in my opinion, their banks are in serious trouble, too much bad debt not enough capital. It takes far too long for laws to be passed. The Italians true to form reject common sense. Rejected a good guy in Renzi imo- good centre left politician.

I agree the proposals were imminently sensible. The Obama years in America show why a powerful upper chamber just doesn't work (and that the House of Lords model isn't all that terrible).

But anything that hastens the demise of the EU without being tinged by racism (Five Star; though I appreciate Lega Nord and Forza Italia are more than a bit UKIPy) is a good thing.

Which, by extension, is why a common currency can never work.

You simply can't have German prudence and Italian negligence under the same financial umbrella, it just means that Germany pays for everything.

I agree the proposals were imminently sensible. The Obama years in America show why a powerful upper chamber just doesn't work (and that the House of Lords model isn't all that terrible).

But anything that hastens the demise of the EU without being tinged by racism (Five Star; though I appreciate Lega Nord and Forza Italia are more than a bit UKIPy) is a good thing.
The House of Lords used to work much better as those that were members were so rich that they were beyond politics. There were no political decisions made that could even make a dent in their fortune, so they could be perfectly apolitical.

Recent years have seen all types being admitted since Blair got involved. He had a habit of naming people who are not the "Lords type"

Which, by extension, is why a common currency can never work.

You simply can't have German prudence and Italian negligence under the same financial umbrella, it just means that Germany pays for everything.

The Southern European countries will always be screwed while they can't devalue their currencies, so it's not even paternalist Germany.

The House of Lords used to work much better as those that were members were so rich that they were beyond politics. There were no political decisions made that could even make a dent in their fortune, so they could be perfectly apolitical.

Recent years have seen all types being admitted since Blair got involved. He had a habit of naming people who are not the "Lords type"

I quite like the Irish model as a future solution. People elected in quotas by their professions (10 doctors voted by the BMA, 10 lawyers by the Law Society, 10 academics by UUK etc). That way it's more detached from party/professional politics, but also can't claim primacy over the HoC as they won't be directly elected.

Either that or a Nordic Council model, where the HoC becomes just an English Parliament and the HoL brings the 4 countries together with responsibility for common areas like defence and foreign policy

Ha, ha, ha. "they were so rich that they were beyond politics." Are you serious? Yep. those Tory members of the House of Lords were ripe to vote through nationalisation of industry legislation, cause they were so rich it didn't matter. What a load of steaming brick you write!

Ha, ha, ha. "they were so rich that they were beyond politics." Are you serious? Yep. those Tory members of the House of Lords were ripe to vote through nationalisation of industry legislation, cause they were so rich it didn't matter. What a load of steaming brick you write!
I would expect most peers to be capable of tying their own shoelaces and being toilet trained. That massively overqualifies them for comprehending what a terrible idea nationalisation of industry is.

Back