• Dear Guest, Please note that adult content is not permitted on this forum. We have had our Google ads disabled at times due to some posts that were found from some time ago. Please do not post adult content and if you see any already on the forum, please report the post so that we can deal with it. Adult content is allowed in the glory hole - you will have to request permission to access it. Thanks, scara

Politics, politics, politics

previous movements of this magnitude have caused panic before logic

it's very dangerous ground
It's possible - anything is with the markets. I genuinely don't see people doing anything until there's something concrete to go on - not past the uncertainty fluctuations anyway.

It's ironic that some of the European bureaucrats are talking this morning about the need to reform the EU. Talkaline about shutting the stable door after the horse has bolted! Incredible that the European accounts have not been signed off for so long.

I voted remain because I think we need Europe and will struggle to compete with China, India and America on a global economic stage.

However it's not like there weren't some compelling arguments on both sides. What I can't understand is the feck wits who couldn't be arsed to vote!

Also good resignation speech by Cameron
We don't need to compete, we can trade with them now.

Damn.....bet Levy wished he'd pushed those deals thru.

All quiet on the transfer front for a while then.......

Football wise I don't think it will effect to much. Anyone who earns the sort of cash footballers do should be welcome in to the country so we can leech of their taxes.

One thing I'm not sure on however is whether they pay a different tax rate, or whether they DID pay a different tax rate but Brexit now means they'd have to pay the same. Maybe someone with more knowledge can enlighten us.

If it does effect the amount footballers pay than it could be that footballers now think twice before coming to England. Or maybe the PL is still the best payer regardless?

My sister works in finance in London (I couldn't tell you exactly what she does even though she explained it to me a dozen times). She was saying this morning this will fudge the sector and her own company are already in the middle of planning their own brexit of sorts.

There will be an impact certainly although as with everything too early to tell quote how significant. Leaving the EU means Uk based companies will lose the right to sell financial services across the EU ("passporting"). Now, many of the larger firms will already have some representation in at least one other EU country so they will still have that right as an organisation but may need to move some functions (and therefore staff) from the UK in order to keep that benefit. For any overseas non-EU organisations who have chosen to use being in the UK as their entry point to the EU market, the impact could be far greater and they may need to relocate It also raises a question mark around where companies choose to base their operations in the future (although EU membership may not be the only factor in such a decision).

There is now also a risk to the proposed merger between the London Stock Exchange and its German counterpart, Deutsche Boerse. The combined company would have been HQ'd in London but there have been statements that this becomes far less acceptable in Germany in the event of Brexit. This is hugely important in respect of Europe"s position in the Financil markets and if the merger fails we will see the LSE being acquired by one of the US exchange behemoths

Football wise I don't think it will effect to much. Anyone who earns the sort of cash footballers do should be welcome in to the country so we can leech of their taxes.

One thing I'm not sure on however is whether they pay a different tax rate, or whether they DID pay a different tax rate but Brexit now means they'd have to pay the same. Maybe someone with more knowledge can enlighten us.

If it does effect the amount footballers pay than it could be that footballers now think twice before coming to England. Or maybe the PL is still the best payer regardless?

All the money in the world won't help with stricter work permit rules and caps on foreign players.

British jobs for brits innit.

There will be an impact certainly although as with everything too early to tell quote how significant. Leaving the EU means Uk based companies will lose the right to sell financial services across the EU ("passporting"). Now, many of the larger firms will already have some representation in at least one other EU country so they will still have that right as an organisation but may need to move some functions (and therefore staff) from the UK in order to keep that benefit. For any overseas non-EU organisations who have chosen to use being in the UK as their entry point to the EU market, the impact could be far greater and they may need to relocate It also raises a question mark around where companies choose to base their operations in the future (although EU membership may not be the only factor in such a decision).

There is now also a risk to the proposed merger between the London Stock Exchange and its German counterpart, Deutsche Boerse. The combined company would have been HQ'd in London but there have been statements that this becomes far less acceptable in Germany in the event of Brexit. This is hugely important in respect of Europe"s position in the Financil markets and if the merger fails we will see the LSE being acquired by one of the US exchange behemoths
Well summarised. I believe most of their clients are scattered across Europe and their plan is to setup office in the EU somewhere to keep selling their product (whateverdafudgethatis).

What do we have to trade? What do they want from us? Financial products? They will move to Frankfurt pretty quickly.
Why would they do that?

In order to trade from here to the EU they'd just need a brassplate in the EU. Why go through the upheaval of moving all of your assets into an economic region that has repeatedly tried to fudge the financial centre from one that is well known for protecting it? Especially when that protective one is a global financial centre that has all the benefits of everyone being in the same place.

It's somewhat disappointing that the bitterness held by those campaigning so hard to remain has now resulted in them trying to talk down the economy so heavily just when that's the worst thing to do.

All the money in the world won't help with stricter work permit rules and caps on foreign players.

British jobs for brits innit.

I'd actually forgot completely that that was the initial plan before the EU intervened.

Just as Spurs are about to get a new stadium to compete with the best of Europe it appears we will have to have more British players in our side. GHod help us all. Italians can look forward to that 4th Champions League berth.

I cant believe that a decision this big Cameron let the public decide on, that is the same public of which a majority can't even tie their own shoe laces up !!

Im in Rhodes currently and am staggered listening to some of the opinions of some of the people round the pool, it's like sitting with Alf Garnett !!!

Why is it, Leave campaigners keep saying "we're not little Englanders" @Danishfurniturelover mentioned it this morning. I haven't head anyone from Remain raise this accusation. All a bit odd, after campaigning to leave the trading block, we are now being told by the same people they are internationalists. Contradictory? About as much as Scara voting to remain but fervently backing brexit.

Grayling: We’re internationalists, not little Englanders
c2293060-8218-4892-b1ef-1c3f540ae683.png

Vote Leave campaigner Chris Grayling told BBC Radio 5 live the UK has to be “internationalist” after voting out.

The Conservative Commons leader said it was important to “remember that this was a narrow result” and to be “respectful and mindful of the fact that a large part of the country didn’t vote this way".

Three big questions now:

1) Will politicians deliver what people have voted for? Or will they try and do some kind of trade deal with the EU, whereby we're still effectively in the EU? This is what Boris and many Leave campaigners want. Including it looks like this Grayling guy.

2) Will we see negative equity in the housing market over the winter? Will being out the EU impact on the housing market?

3) What will be the effect on international financial service companies? Will they cover their backs and protect their millions, by making contingencies of new offices within the EU?

Last edited:
Spurmeup you have not heard anyone from remain use the term little Englander really? fair enough but I heard it quite a lot.

If you listened to leave campaign to be fair most was on immigration which is not the biggest isssue for me, but the was plenty about how we should strengthen our ties with the commonwealth.

I am off to Richmond to visit my sister for lunch so am not ignoring anyone, I will be back this evening.

Slightly disappointed in the tone and language of people from the remain side. Is it any wonder that so many in the country voted against you if all you do id ridicule them. Perhaps really trying to learn the reasons why people voted the way they did rather than just airing your pre conceived perceptions would go along way towards a more harmonious society.

Never realised so many in this country were so defeatist in attitude.

also quick point before I go. The housing market and I say this as someone with two houses and a flat, could do with a bit of a slump, so many have been priced out of owning a home. Property speculators like me should also be taxed a little extra to be fair. Anyway see you all tonight depending on souther railway

Quite amusing looking at the people cheering the leave result in Sunderland. All bald middle aged men wondering why they couldn't vote National Front at the last election.

And thats the attitude that made them vote to leave. The clown Farage was right a lot of people are fed-up with being told they are ignorant and racist to hold certain views, as long as whole areas of the country and the population are ignored by the political elite, they will take the chance to hit back. I suspect many of us have traveled round europe and seen projects where EU funding has been used as it is plastered on hoardings, yet in this country I hardly see any, living in London I'm "certain" every projected is financed by Boris personally. If politicians had been prepared to publicize EU funding rather than grab glory for themselves it might have made a difference.

Back