• Dear Guest, Please note that adult content is not permitted on this forum. We have had our Google ads disabled at times due to some posts that were found from some time ago. Please do not post adult content and if you see any already on the forum, please report the post so that we can deal with it. Adult content is allowed in the glory hole - you will have to request permission to access it. Thanks, scara

Politics, politics, politics (so long and thanks for all the fish)

There is common misconception that the exchequer works like a household budget. An idea very often repeated by both the government (and opposition) when it suits them. It is incorrect though. The UK has it's own currency and so it doesn't need tax revenue to invest if it wants. It can just make the money and invest it, much like it did for covid.

I've a whole speil about growth being the wrong thing to focus on but I'm gonna have a beer instead.

Printing money essentially. Which caused inflation - too much money in circulation. Surely these basic fundamentals of economics can’t have changed? Throughout history, from the gold rush when suddenly a load more currency hit through to African nations printing money, and indeed Covid, inflation has been the consistent outcome.

Printing money essentially. Which caused inflation - too much money in circulation. Surely these basic fundamentals of economics can’t have changed? Throughout history, from the gold rush when suddenly a load more currency hit through to African nations printing money, and indeed Covid, inflation has been the consistent outcome.

Would be like the Weimar Republic.

The Royal family need getting rid of. I have long been saying that on here.

The Irish system of an upper house to replace our house of Lords which us beyond outdated.

Some like to paint me as right wing but when you go through policies, excluding law and order(the wife works in reform care) I am firmly in the left side of things. Except on law and order.

Loathe the Royal family.

Same here brother, blood suckers every single one of them.

...but, but, think of the impact on tourism ;)
It's such a lazy trope, I know you're taking the tinkle. But honestly, it's not like the castles n brick are coming down if we do away with the clams.

Tourists will still come to see the shiny palace and flimflam statues. Just the freeloaders can fudge off in the meantime.

It's such a lazy trope, I know you're taking the tinkle. But honestly, it's not like the castles n brick are coming down if we do away with the clams.

Tourists will still come to see the shiny palace and flimflam statues. Just the freeloaders can fudge off in the meantime.

Imagine the extra tourist income for the north if we got a fresh collection of heads to display on pikes on Micklegate Bar

When we went to Paris we went to this big palace just outside the city. Was packed with tourists. Though I'm sure Macron is a bit of a queen. He is actually a president.

Reactions: jrh
I wouldn't want a president. I reckon just appoint a random OAP as king/queen by ballot, to serve for 10 years - giving royal assent to bills, living in Buckingham Palace and opening village fetes.

I wouldn't want a president. I reckon just appoint a random OAP as king/queen by ballot, to serve for 10 years - giving royal assent to bills, living in Buckingham Palace and opening village fetes.
Buckingham Palace and everything else Royal should be sold off so we can have something similar to the Norwegian sovereign fund.

A focus on getting all our energy needs from within this country, preferably from renewable so we can become an exporter.

Vertical farming should be expanded and the army expanded with conscription.

There is common misconception that the exchequer works like a household budget. An idea very often repeated by both the government (and opposition) when it suits them. It is incorrect though. The UK has it's own currency and so it doesn't need tax revenue to invest if it wants. It can just make the money and invest it, much like it did for covid.

I've a whole speil about growth being the wrong thing to focus on but I'm gonna have a beer instead.

You're still measuring growth based on GDP, that's a poor measure. It plays a part but living standards, life expectancy, numeracy, literacy etc all need to roll into the equation.

You're still measuring growth based on GDP, that's a poor measure. It plays a part but living standards, life expectancy, numeracy, literacy etc all need to roll into the equation.
I totally agree. GDP is a measurement that should have been binned off decades ago.

That vid is just another dead cat to draw your attention away from the fact that the tories are privatising the UK itself with SEZs and freeports.

That vid is just another dead cat to draw your attention away from the fact that the tories are privatising the UK itself with SEZs and freeports.
That may well be the case and there are so many dead cat examples that a pet cemetery is needed but whether spoof or real, it’s a hugely dangerous video in the current climate where we hear about politicians being subject to death threats. Totally irresponsible and I hope whomever is behind it is taken to task.

That may well be the case and there are so many dead cat examples that a pet cemetery is needed but whether spoof or real, it’s a hugely dangerous video in the current climate where we hear about politicians being subject to death threats. Totally irresponsible and I hope whomever is behind it is taken to task.
I couldn't agree more. It is beyond irresponsible but I would say whoever is behind it is not being taken to task. On the contrary they are likely being congratulated for achieving their goal, which is to get everyone talking about it and not the infancy of a new flavour of feudalism being born in these unregulated zones. Any minute now I expect those champions of sovereignty to be in uproar about this. Any minute.

Last edited:
Back