• Dear Guest, Please note that adult content is not permitted on this forum. We have had our Google ads disabled at times due to some posts that were found from some time ago. Please do not post adult content and if you see any already on the forum, please report the post so that we can deal with it. Adult content is allowed in the glory hole - you will have to request permission to access it. Thanks, scara

Players we could convert to another position

SUIYHA

Scott Parker
Some of our very best players in recent times, including King and Bale, started their careers in different positions to the ones that they became most effective. Is there any tweaking we could do with our current squad?

Vertonghen, Chiriches and Dier have all been called "ball-playing" centre-backs. And whilst Mason is not a DM and Stambouli + Capoue have both failed to make that spot their own, perhaps the solution is to move one of our existing CBs into this role? Vertonghen was wanted by Arsenal as a DM, and his finishing is so good that in his first season I said I wanted him playing up front instead of our mis-firing strikers and I was only partly joking. Chiriches has been a complete liability in defence, and is too small and too weak to play against the bigger forwards you get in the Premier League. But he has looked half-decent going forward, including his brilliant goal against Fulham. Then there's Dier, who has filled in at RB a lot and I've been really impressed with his on the ball composure, especially when whipping in crosses from deep. By my count, we already have six senior centre-backs in the squad, with Alderweireld potentially coming. Some will clearly need to go but maybe instead of selling three we could convert one to a DM?

I have long argued that Lamela is not a winger. He is far too one-footed for that. Everyone knows he's going to try and cut inside onto his left foot, and he isn't a good enough dribbler to take on the full-backs on the left hand side and whip the ball in. What we need is to take advantage of what he's good at - to have him playing off the shoulder of the last man and bursting towards goal at pace. Kane has made the CF spot his own, but if we are to sell Adebayor and Soldado then perhaps we could convert Lamela to a CF instead of buying two new ones?

Finally - I've always thought Aaron Lennon would make a good RB. His defensive work is a massively under rated part of his game, and his end product has always been disappointing, why not put his pace and good touch to good use a little further back? Main reason against this one would be that we're already well stocked for RBs now, but I certainly feel we missed a trick with this one a while back when all our RBs were injured and we were playing CBs in these positions.

Any others?

I think Dier and Verts could probably do a job at DM if asked to.
Bentaleb was probably our best LB last year.
Kaboul as the big #9 we throw on with five minutes left to play?

Edit: Not ripping on Rose here, just saying Bentaleb was bloody impressive in that one game vs Everton.

Go easy on me, but I've always fancied seeing Lamella in CM. is that crazy?

He's got good control in tight areas, fairly strong and good short passing.

Vertonghen doesn't have the handling speed to play DM, which was one of the reasons he was put at CB in the first place.

Dembele at LB doesn't have the speed, dumb suggestion.

Verts wouldn't play CDM anyway. That was the reason he didn't sign for Arsenal as Arsene wanted to play him midfield.

I think Chiriches could play the holding role.

Chiriches to groundsman/hot dog seller/person in the small Ladbrokes booth.
Capoue to car park attendant.

Some brief research unearthed one of Mitchell's algorithms for these two:
Code:
Get cup;
Get teabag;
If milk wanted,
  Get milk;
End if
If sugar wanted,
  Get sugar;
End if
Put teabag in cup;
While water not boiling,
  Boil water;
End while
While cup not full,
  Pour boiling water into cup;
  If milk wanted,
    If cup volume minus (teabag volume plus water volume) equals volume required for milk,
      Stop pouring;
      Break;
    End if
  End if
  If enough water,
    Stop pouring;
    Break;
  End if
End while
While tea not brewed
  Wait;
End while;
Remove teabag;
Hold teabag over cup;
While teabag not sufficiently squeezed,
  Squeeze teabag;
End while
Dispose teabag;
If milk wanted,
  While cup not full,
     Pour milk into cup;
     If enough milk
        Stop pouring;
        Break;
     End if
  End while
End if
If sugar wanted,
  While spoons of sugar less than spoons of sugar wanted
    Spoon sugar into cup;
    If cup full,
      Stop spooning;
      Break;
    End if
  End while
End if
If sugar in cup,
  While insufficient stirring to distribute sugar,
     Stir;
  End While;
  If spoon in cup,
    Remove spoon;
  End if
End if
End;

Handling speed?
By that I meant the speed to act. Not just sprinting, but more like how quick someone controlls the ball, looks where to pass it and then does that. Vertonghen likes to take his time before he acts, time which he doesn't have as a midfielder.

Back