• Dear Guest, Please note that adult content is not permitted on this forum. We have had our Google ads disabled at times due to some posts that were found from some time ago. Please do not post adult content and if you see any already on the forum, please report the post so that we can deal with it. Adult content is allowed in the glory hole - you will have to request permission to access it. Thanks, scara

Pedro Porro

After some quick YouTube research, he is already our new #1 option for free kicks outside the box. There was a video of him scoring one.

This is lovely to hear and does help me get the reasoning behind investing so much in to him.

Delighted we've got in a first teamer in January and hope he is a resounding success!

My concern is that an injury to Romero and he may very well be on that RWB position next to Sanchez at RCB which will hamper Porro's attacking output. Can't expect to fix all the issues at once but would be nice to have a bit more of a fighting chance, either way fingers crossed he hits the ground running.

Quicker, more athletic than Trippier though? And a better dribbler?
Yep
But not as aware defensively
He is really good at running with the ball (trippier isn’t) and he does whip a quick pass or cross in which I think will work well with an dynamic left wing back

I'd much prefer other teams to be worrying about Porro than for us to be worrying about how we stack up defensively. Hoping Porro makes us a more 'front-foot' team again.
Then next season with Udogie on the other side, and just one highly-rated CB, opposition teams will be even more fearful.

You can find a vid of kane scoring a freekick. Doesn't make him juninho pernambucano
Must be a deep fake AI generated video that. Bad joke aside, I remember one of his, if not his first free kick was a 30 yard belter that hit the crossbar which is still shaking. He has it in him somewhere.

This is lovely to hear and does help me get the reasoning behind investing so much in to him.

Delighted we've got in a first teamer in January and hope he is a resounding success!

My concern is that an injury to Romero and he may very well be on that RWB position next to Sanchez at RCB which will hamper Porro's attacking output. Can't expect to fix all the issues at once but would be nice to have a bit more of a fighting chance, either way fingers crossed he hits the ground running.
I'm not sure about Porro's preferred position, and have no problems admitting that I've never heard of the guy before.

We're brick defensively. Lets attack.
I wouldn't say were brick at the back as in hopeless, but we are severely disorganized. Noone seems to have or take or delegate responsibility, sometimes it looks pretty good, other times it's all over the place. I'd rather have two, on paper average centre backs who understands defending areas and can communicate than supersignings that won't work together. Jan and Toby separately were no world beaters, but together they formed some of the most solid defence I've seen on a regular basis. Heck, they even made Sanchez look like prime Baresi between them.

I wouldn't say were brick at the back as in hopeless, but we are severely disorganized. Noone seems to have or take or delegate responsibility, sometimes it looks pretty good, other times it's all over the place. I'd rather have two, on paper average centre backs who understands defending areas and can communicate than supersignings that won't work together. Jan and Toby separately were no world beaters, but together they formed some of the most solid defence I've seen on a regular basis. Heck, they even made Sanchez look like prime Baresi between them.

I think you're right about partnerships, often two competent players perform better than a couple if super stars, sometimes they just have a telepathic link.

I think you're right about partnerships, often two competent players perform better than a couple if super stars, sometimes they just have a telepathic link.

I think calling Toby and Jan 'no world beaters' does them a massive disservice, tbh. They were the best CB pairing in the world for a while, and both individually were phenomenal - Toby was brilliant for Soton, even without Jan, while Superjan was our rock long before Toby got here. Both were the very model of the modern CB - mobile, physical, and technically magnificent.

But yes, I agree with the broader point that we need to be looking to create (or recreate) a CB partnership, not necessarily individually brilliant CBs by themselves. We need CBs that know each other's games instinctively.

Trouble is, Toby and Jan were one-offs - I can't recall a similar partnership of CBs that excelled at both club and international level together, for so long.

I think calling Toby and Jan 'no world beaters' does them a massive disservice, tbh. They were the best CB pairing in the world for a while, and both individually were phenomenal - Toby was brilliant for Soton, even without Jan, while Superjan was our rock long before Toby got here. Both were the very model of the modern CB - mobile, physical, and technically magnificent.

But yes, I agree with the broader point that we need to be looking to create (or recreate) a CB partnership, not necessarily individually brilliant CBs by themselves. We need CBs that know each other's games instinctively.

Trouble is, Toby and Jan were one-offs - I can't recall a similar partnership of CBs that excelled at both club and international level together, for so long.
A bit exaggerated for effect I'll admit, but they were far from a one plus one equals two in my book. Though I would not use words as phenomenal, brilliant and magnificent either. Toby for example, was great in the air but slow as dirt and was nothing special after Jan left. Jan was pretty versatile, faster and had the heart of a lion, but a Ledley King he was not. What made them so fantastic in my view, were their superb anticipation and sharing tasks in between themselves as well as organizing the entire back line. I'd say that a great defence is the one you don't see, not stopping chances but reducing the probability for them to happen in the first place. That's organizing.

They were so complementary that I couldn't tell who was the leader of them, or if there even was one.

A bit exaggerated for effect I'll admit, but they were far from a one plus one equals two in my book. Though I would not use words as phenomenal, brilliant and magnificent either. Toby for example, was great in the air but slow as dirt and was nothing special after Jan left. Jan was pretty versatile, faster and had the heart of a lion, but a Ledley King he was not. What made them so fantastic in my view, were their superb anticipation and sharing tasks in between themselves as well as organizing the entire back line. I'd say that a great defence is the one you don't see, not stopping chances but reducing the probability for them to happen in the first place. That's organizing.

Fair enough - I'd disagree on the 'phenomenal/brilliant' bit, since I think they fully deserve it, but at its heart I agree with your broader point that it's their shared understanding that elevated them above their individual attributes.

Fair enough - I'd disagree on the 'phenomenal/brilliant' bit, since I think they fully deserve it, but at its heart I agree with your broader point that it's their shared understanding that elevated them above their individual attributes.
Agree, and it could be that I am a bit reserved about using the absolute top superlatives unless I feel it's really the highest level, even with my limited grasp on the language itself..! It's just nitpicking anyway, but there's a tendency in society in general to heap massive praise upon pretty average things and performances, so that you need to venture into a transcendal vocabulary to describe something truly spectacular.

Reminds me of a pretty heated discussion on here a few years back whether an average performance was a 5, 6 or even a 7, where both biological and mathematical factors were thrown into the ring. So in people's minds theres obviously a more narrow range of greatness than brickness.

Last edited:
He looks incredibly good in the video above.
But for balance, take a look at his defensive instincts here below, in his final match for Sporting.
Granted there are only 5 minutes left, it is a cup final and they are down to 10 men... but as the ball gets played deep into the box, he doesn't run back towards his goal. Then he realises and runs to mark the wrong player. Bit odd that.

Back