• Dear Guest, Please note that adult content is not permitted on this forum. We have had our Google ads disabled at times due to some posts that were found from some time ago. Please do not post adult content and if you see any already on the forum, please report the post so that we can deal with it. Adult content is allowed in the glory hole - you will have to request permission to access it. Thanks, scara

Parker or Sandro?

Who's better?

• Total voters
Really? That is the type of argument you're happy making?

How many goals has a defensive midfielder scored in 14 games in an injury plagued season. Is that supposed to be an argument against his shooting abilities?

According to whoscored.com Sandro has had 15 shots in total this season. Wow, he hasn't scored in 15 shots...

There you have it then. You've basically highlighted the point I was making. How much weighting should be given to shooting from a DM? The answer is obvious, set pieces aside. Absolutely fudge all. Shooting from a DM does not have any weighting to how good a player is in that position, or how much they contribute to our attacking patters of play.

Parker has been brilliant, especially at the start of the season, but it's hard to deny our attacking play had become stultified in recent weeks. Maybe he was beginning to get burn out but over the last couple of months Parker's habit of constant tippy-tappying and backward passing was positively obstructing our forward momentum, allowing defences far too much opportunity to get organised and disrupt our attacks.

Sandro's return (and return to form) has changed all that because when he's not bombing forward and providing a direct goal threat himself, he's perfectly happy to give the ball to Modric and leave him to work his magic. This ensures our attacking moves keep flowing and denies defences critical time to close ranks.

One big caveat though, in the last couple of games the whole team has started playing better, especially Modric, Lennon, VdV and (give him credit), Walker. So maybe our revival would have happened anyway. But who knows how much it is down to the liberating impact of Sandro?

Last edited:
Am I the ONLY Spurs fan in the History of ALL Spurs fans who doesn't think Modric is the greatest ever player to wear a Spurs shirt...? DON'T get me wrong, he's probably in the Top 5, and of course puts Jason Dozzell in the shade... but looking at the type of midfield play both Sandro & Parker offer, (albeit in a less creative role) and the range of passing Huddletone has in his boots, I can't help but think that whilst exceptional, Modric is still lacking slightly in killer balls, and - FOR OUR CREATIVE MIDFIELD FULCRUM -most certainly a lack of goal contribution... now shoot me!!

Ahem... time to take this all back then... does anyone have a good recipe for humble pie?!

OOOOOOOOOR he simply read this, and used it as motivation to ram it back down my throat... Highly doubtful though!!

Parker has been brilliant, especially at the start of the season, but it's hard to deny our attacking play had become stultified in recent weeks. Maybe he was beginning to get burn out but over the last couple of months Parker's habit of constant tippy-tappying and backward passing was positively obstructing our forward momentum, allowing defences far too much opportunity to get organised and disrupt our attacks.

Sandro's return (and return to form) has changed all that because when he's not bombing forward and providing a direct goal threat himself, he's perfectly happy to give the ball to Modric and leave him to work his magic. This ensures our attacking moves keep flowing and denies defences critical time to close ranks.

One big caveat though, in the last couple of games the whole team has started playing better, especially Modric, Lennon, VdV and (give him credit), Walker. So maybe our revival would have happened anyway. But who knows how much it is down to the liberating impact of Sandro?

This is something I just don't see. Parker or Sandro, we play the same way. We play a patient build up. Last night, especially at 0-0 and 1-0 we played the ball back to our centre halves and Friedel a fair few times. I think it's just perception personally that we are playing differently.

Also I am not getting too carried away yet considering it was Blackburn and Bolton (although any away win is a good win in the Premiership). I thought last night the best thing happening for us ended up being Bolton equalising! They went completely gung ho after that and we took them superbly on the break.

This is something I just don't see. Parker or Sandro, we play the same way. We play a patient build up. Last night, especially at 0-0 and 1-0 we played the ball back to our centre halves and Friedel a fair few times. I think it's just perception personally that we are playing differently.

Also I am not getting too carried away yet considering it was Blackburn and Bolton (although any away win is a good win in the Premiership). I thought last night the best thing happening for us ended up being Bolton equalising! They went completely gung ho after that and we took them superbly on the break.

Really?

There was a stat up on the telly last night showing that Bolton had around 83% possession in the first 10 minutes or so of the 2nd half. We didn't cleverly sit back to attack them on the break, we played very poorly in that period and I think Bolton deserved their goal and had we not scored the 2-1 goal we could very easily have gone behind. Until the point Modric cleverly set up Bale for the counter for 2-1 we could barely string two passes together, we gave the ball away constantly and Bolton were pressing us high up the pitch with a lot of success.

Really?

There was a stat up on the telly last night showing that Bolton had around 83% possession in the first 10 minutes or so of the 2nd half. We didn't cleverly sit back to attack them on the break, we played very poorly in that period and I think Bolton deserved their goal and had we not scored the 2-1 goal we could very easily have gone behind. Until the point Modric cleverly set up Bale for the counter for 2-1 we could barely string two passes together, we gave the ball away constantly and Bolton were pressing us high up the pitch with a lot of success.

I never said it was a tactic we did on purpose. But they scored and went from dominating but keeping shape to getting totally carried away and leaving huge gaps behind them. Then we got it back to 2-1, against the run of play, and it destroyed their fragile morale.

I never said it was a tactic we did on purpose. But they scored and went from dominating but keeping shape to getting totally carried away and leaving huge gaps behind them. Then we got it back to 2-1, against the run of play, and it destroyed their fragile morale.

I thought it was easily their best and most impressive part of the game. With players like Modric, Bale, Lennon and Ade we're always going to be dangerous on the counter attack and it's going to be very difficult to defend against. They could see a chance of actually taking the lead and unlike some cowardly teams around the league they went for it.

I thought it was easily their best and most impressive part of the game. With players like Modric, Bale, Lennon and Ade we're always going to be dangerous on the counter attack and it's going to be very difficult to defend against. They could see a chance of actually taking the lead and unlike some cowardly teams around the league they went for it.

Yep, and as I said that played into our hands. I fear Villa won't be as accomodating. Bolton HAD to win. A point would be good for Villa, and I think they may well park the bus against us.

Parker has been more consistent, yeah Sandro was very good today, but he owed us one because frankly he has been a passenger for the last five six games he has played.

this.

people live in the present and forget how good parker has been. i expected that poll to look no different

I think people rate Sandro's beastly tackles more than Parker's last ditch blocks,interceptions and clearances.Sandro is much more flashy as a DM.Sandro is better on the ball and in attack,but Parker is still better in defense.Somehow I dont think we would have conceded that goal yesterday if Parker played.I m glad we have both of them,as long as they dont play together

As much as i love parker, sandro doesnt deserve to lose his place in the team, especially in the last two games

I prefer to live game by game. Sandro definitely deserves to start ahead of Parker against Villa, and if he turns in another fine performance like he did against Blackburn, and to a lesser extent Bolton, then he deserves to start against Fulham too. Sandro had to be patient for Parker to lose form/get suspended/get injured etc for his chance, and he has taken it. Now it's Parker's turn to be patient. At least that's what I hope. I don't want to see Harry change a winning team just to fit a player in!

I prefer to live game by game. Sandro definitely deserves to start ahead of Parker against Villa, and if he turns in another fine performance like he did against Blackburn, and to a lesser extent Bolton, then he deserves to start against Fulham too. Sandro had to be patient for Parker to lose form/get suspended/get injured etc for his chance, and he has taken it. Now it's Parker's turn to be patient. At least that's what I hope. I don't want to see Harry change a winning team just to fit a player in!

You just know he'll find a way to get Parker in the team and play 3 in the middle (Modric,Parker,Sandro)

Whilst it's true the team indulges too much in passing the ball around at the back I'd argue Sandro is noticeably less guilty of this. But I insist it's the contrast in particular between him and Parker that seems so marked and makes such a difference to our overall style of play.

I'll concede the defences of neither Blackburn nor Bolton provided much of a test, even so the difference in our speed of attack in both games was striking. For me it's no surprise this has coincided with Sandro's uncomplicated style of play. It's hard to imagine him ever indulging in the kind of Parker-like tippy-tapping that so dramatically slows our attacking momentum and allows defences to regroup.

Hopefully our last two games will provide more evidence one way or the other.

You just know he'll find a way to get Parker in the team and play 3 in the middle (Modric,Parker,Sandro)

I think that Redknapp knows that it doesn't work and was only trying it because Lennon was out. Besides, he tends to stick with a winning side.

[video]http://www.101greatgoals.com/gvideos/sandro-dancing-at-spurs-lodge/[/video]

I bloody love the guy. Also loved the new 'Sandrooo, Tottenham Hotspur's Brazilian yiddooo' chant at Bolton. A cult hero.

I think that Redknapp knows that it doesn't work and was only trying it because Lennon was out. Besides, he tends to stick with a winning side.

i really hope you're right. i don't trust not mess about with system trying to get parker and sandro in the same side. really keeping the same team should be a no brainer

Back