• Dear Guest, Please note that adult content is not permitted on this forum. We have had our Google ads disabled at times due to some posts that were found from some time ago. Please do not post adult content and if you see any already on the forum, please report the post so that we can deal with it. Adult content is allowed in the glory hole - you will have to request permission to access it. Thanks, scara

Park the Bus / Sit back and hit them on the break

I do think there is a degree of validity to this tactic if used in the right way. And however frustrating it may be to play against, it should be noted that Leicester are the league's second top goalscorers and just came to the home of the team with the best defensive record in the league and scored twice - despite missing their two top goalscorers. You have to give them credit for what they are doing, they have learned to play to their strengths and they have become very good at it.

In his final decade at Man Utd, I lost count of how many times Ferguson beat Arsenal using these sorts of tactics. Nobody would ever say that his Man Utd team were boring or dull to watch, but they had a game plan and knew how to execute it. Time and time again, you'd see Arsenal playing tippy-tappy possession football in and around the Man Utd goal but unable to break them down, then they'd have a momentary lapse in concentration and United would pick out a fast dribbler and Rooney, Ronaldo, Nani etc would hit them on the break. Arsenal would complain that they'd "dominated" and been unlucky to lose, but the fact would remain that United would beat them like this every season. You have to respect an efficient game plan.

However, I agree with the OP. Sometimes, it's not commendable at all. Chelsea 2012 and Greece 2004 were not "well organised". They were not "tactically disciplined". They were two poor teams who got lucky that world class players kept on inexplicably missing absolute sitters in positions that they would normally score from time and time again over the course of the competitions.

While it would be nice think that both teams will all out attack each other and the best team win - like in the old 2-3-5 days - it is (unfortunately) a legit tactic for a so-called lesser team when up against a superior opponent.

When played well it has to be admired. It won't work for Leicester long term IMO as lesser sides will adopt this tactic against them to frustrate them and the don't have the quality of player to break this down. I see a lot of sterile draws in their future - indeed didn't they fail to score in their last three games before we gifted them two goals?

I've noticed that the media consider it negative if you do it against their darlings, but it's heroic and deserves merit against us. There are games where teams are forced back by the attacking play of their opponents and that's fair enough, but Leicester did not come to play football they came to nick a result, it annoys me to read and hear we got a fortunate draw yesterday, we would have been lucky if we had only 3 or 4 attempts at goal and got a result but to dominate like we did against Leicester and only get a draw was not fortunate. To add insult to injury I've heard that the penalty decision was contentious, that's what happens when a team is under pressure someone panics and does something stupid .

Lol at this thread! Are we now Gooners and Barca (or even Arcelona) fans moaning that the other side "didn't play nice football and allow us to also play how we want to"?

"Parking the bus" is a number of tactics available to coaches and teams to attempt to win a match. Yes, it's often boring, but the onus is on those progressive/forward-thinking/attacking coaches to come up with methods to get around it - which eventually they (sometimes with the help of rule changes to the game that the authorities introduce) invariably always do.

It's about balance; e.g. we are generally an attacking-minded team. But when we have to (e.g. away at the Emirates last season, plus other games) we have adopted a sit-and-hit-them-on-the-break tactic. Perfectly valid. Obviously we have the resources/mentality to opt to try and attack and not have to use this all the time. But Leicester in their position in the football food-chain are well within their rights to adopt it as their main tactic. Long-term as they move up the chain they'll likely have to vary things more.
The issue with someone like Mourinho is that park-the-bus seems his main tactic, but when his teams have to take the initiative against temas of similar resiources eventually this tactic gets exposed.

So in short: stop whining!

I've noticed that the media consider it negative if you do it against their darlings, but it's heroic and deserves merit against us. There are games where teams are forced back by the attacking play of their opponents and that's fair enough, but Leicester did not come to play football they came to nick a result, it annoys me to read and hear we got a fortunate draw yesterday, we would have been lucky if we had only 3 or 4 attempts at goal and got a result but to dominate like we did against Leicester and only get a draw was not fortunate. To add insult to injury I've heard that the penalty decision was contentious, that's what happens when a team is under pressure someone panics and does something stupid .

Indeed defending non-stop with no/little attacking outlet to provide a breather is physically and esp mentally tiring, and that often leads to moments of lapses and last goals conceded.
It's why having a two-goal cushion in those stages is often crucial. It's also why Jose eventually crumbled at Chelski as their attacking players (and eventually their defenders) got mentally tired of having the resources they had and yet were concentrating much more of parking the bus tactics instead of progressive/attacking ones.
In the end it is mentally draining, unless you're from the school of Baresi, Maldini etc.

Again I Think you guys are seeing my point but not what I am complaining about. I do regard it as a legitimate tactic, one that many teams can play and its a valid system. I may not like it but we have to deal with it.

But its the pundit response to it that bothers me. This who feeling that you played your hearts out, Dug deep and this somehow rewards that style of play as non negative. Its a valid system but it is also a negative system. And I think that it is easy to implement on many levels. But why oh why does it get applauded by the media for showing guts and determination. When its nothing of the sort.

Even Gaby logan said the teams were evenly matched. I dont think that was true at all. But that statement shows hoe people look at the tactic. We as supporters jeered as Chelski did it all the way to the CL final and won. And Greece did it to.

I agree with you, in particular about yesterday's game.

At HT the pundits kept harping on about how well Leicester had done after conceding and shown "great character" to come back. They'd got themselves back into the game and deserved to be level. I'm sorry what? They kicked a ball from a corner on to someone's head and it went into the net. I don't remember them making any attacking contributions in the remainder of that half. I don't see how that shows great character at all. They did nothing and they did very little in the 2nd half too other than that stumbling run which ended up with a fortuitous rebound. Then back to sitting with 11 men behind the ball. There's a way a to play on the counter but they literally relied on set pieces and just punting the ball long - no real threat on the counter at all. Pen or not justice was done at the end as that sort of play should never be rewarded with victory.

agree as well....they created f-all in the first half,got corner and that was it,after 42 mins.........second half their second goal sort of came from a corner where Vorm had to tip a deflective shot off the bar,and we fell asleep from the clearance from that corner and we were ball watching......and that was it 11 people behind the ball then and catch them on the break...tactical genius.

its becoming more like basketball in most games i see now,pitter patter outside the box,and wait for it to break down if a 3 pointer ain't succesful.

Lol at this thread! Are we now Gooners and Barca (or even Arcelona) fans moaning that the other side "didn't play nice football and allow us to also play how we want to"?

"Parking the bus" is a number of tactics available to coaches and teams to attempt to win a match. Yes, it's often boring, but the onus is on those progressive/forward-thinking/attacking coaches to come up with methods to get around it - which eventually they (sometimes with the help of rule changes to the game that the authorities introduce) invariably always do.

It's about balance; e.g. we are generally an attacking-minded team. But when we have to (e.g. away at the Emirates last season, plus other games) we have adopted a sit-and-hit-them-on-the-break tactic. Perfectly valid. Obviously we have the resources/mentality to opt to try and attack and not have to use this all the time. But Leicester in their position in the football food-chain are well within their rights to adopt it as their main tactic. Long-term as they move up the chain they'll likely have to vary things more.
The issue with someone like Mourinho is that park-the-bus seems his main tactic, but when his teams have to take the initiative against temas of similar resiources eventually this tactic gets exposed.

So in short: stop whining!
you missed the whole point of the thread.

Continental teams generally do this. Google 'catenaccio'

Only in England and Germany do you really get the more gung-ho approach. It's why a lot of good foreign coaches (LVG, AVB) struggle to adapt to the expectation of entertaining as well as winning
I think this tactic is substantially different to Catenaccio.

Catenaccio (maybe by intent, maybe because it wasn't played in England) tends to be played by people who can actually play football. Keeping the ball deep, passing around and pulling the opposition out of shape were all as important as defending deep and a fast transition. This isn't that. This is a load of big Div 1 lumps kicking player or ball up the field and hoping that repeating it enough times will see the only big lump left at the other end score a goal.

When the likes of United did it when they broke away with Rooney, Cristiano and Tevez they could be pretty devastating. Or Dortmund with the speed of the transitions between defence and attack lightning.
But for the most part in England we need just concentrate once we do get a break (like we did v Saudi Sportswashing Machine and leicester). But the goals we gave away were hugely preventable. Even the goal in the second half, all started with a needless foul from Chadli, then a tip over from Vorm which seemed unnecessary and then just poor defending as Okazaki just wandered through. In these types of games the last thing you want to do is switch off to squander a lead we've usually worked so hard to get.

I expect Leicester will have a lot more quality in the counter with Vardy and Mahrez on Wednesday but we should be able to deal with this still.

Does anyone else think that the money in football nowadays has a fair bit to do with this.

The top teams (including us) have so much more money, and such better players than the lesser teams that the only chance lesser teams have for a result is to 'park the buss and hit them on the break'.

Does anyone else think that the money in football nowadays has a fair bit to do with this.

The top teams (including us) have so much more money, and such better players than the lesser teams that the only chance lesser teams have for a result is to 'park the buss and hit them on the break'.
I think the gap is narrowing actually.

Could the park the bus tactic be in some way be attributed to the fear of falling out of the division and the financial implications that ensue? Better to play boring and stay in the PL than expansive football and get relegated.

Money is the key but I draw a different conclusion - mid to lower premier league teams have more money than most teams across Europe these days and have been able to strengthen accordingly - they still can't go toe to toe with the top sides in EPL but can build better sides than they have previously been able to playing styles of football which suit their place on the ladder and make it more difficult for the top teams.

Also the rise of forward thinking clubs like Swansea/Southampton/Watford is shaking things up by showing that careful long term planning by people who understand football can elevate a club beyond it's means - old fashioned clubs stuck in the 90s like Villa and Saudi Sportswashing Machine who got by on their size are finding themselves being over taken because of a failure to adapt to the more modern approach of these other clubs.

Last edited:
Money is the key but I draw a different conclusion - mid to lower premier league teams have more money than most teams across Europe these days and have been able to strengthen accordingly - they still can't go toe to toe with the top sides in EPL but can build better sides than they have previously been able to playing styles of football which suit their place on the ladder and make it more difficult for the top teams.

Also the rise of forward thinking clubs like Swansea/Southampton/Watford is shaking things up by showing that careful long term planning by people who understand football can elevate a club beyond it's means - old fashioned clubs stuck in the 90s like Villa and Saudi Sportswashing Machine who got by on their size are finding themselves being over taken because of a failure to adapt to the more modern approach of these other clubs.

Spot on for me.

Leicester could sign Inler this summer, just to give an example of your point. Hasn't even been first choice for them so far, but they could call on him yesterday.

I think we're also just noticing it more.

We're now a team against whom pretty much everyone will park the bus - especially at WHL

It's a style we and many others have struggled with for some time. You just say fair play, it's an obstacle we must overcome. We will have a tough couple of games against these lot for sure.

I blame Chelsea and Greece.
Hey, you leave Greece out of it! We won that fair and square. Although I wish we could have played more eye pleasing football, there was a discipline that Rehaggel instilled in that team that was a joy to watch. But that's the key: discipline. It's not easy to be laser focused on your task for a full 90, and for a team of 11 players to be able to do it for a full game and game in game out is commendable imv.

I do think there is a degree of validity to this tactic if used in the right way. And however frustrating it may be to play against, it should be noted that Leicester are the league's second top goalscorers and just came to the home of the team with the best defensive record in the league and scored twice - despite missing their two top goalscorers. You have to give them credit for what they are doing, they have learned to play to their strengths and they have become very good at it.

In his final decade at Man Utd, I lost count of how many times Ferguson beat Arsenal using these sorts of tactics. Nobody would ever say that his Man Utd team were boring or dull to watch, but they had a game plan and knew how to execute it. Time and time again, you'd see Arsenal playing tippy-tappy possession football in and around the Man Utd goal but unable to break them down, then they'd have a momentary lapse in concentration and United would pick out a fast dribbler and Rooney, Ronaldo, Nani etc would hit them on the break. Arsenal would complain that they'd "dominated" and been unlucky to lose, but the fact would remain that United would beat them like this every season. You have to respect an efficient game plan.

However, I agree with the OP. Sometimes, it's not commendable at all. Chelsea 2012 and Greece 2004 were not "well organised". They were not "tactically disciplined". They were two poor teams who got lucky that world class players kept on inexplicably missing absolute sitters in positions that they would normally score from time and time again over the course of the competitions.
If you go back and look at Greece's games, only the Czech Republic gave us any trouble. Portugal created virtually nothing in the final and France had one good chance with Henry.

Chelsea on the other hand...

I agree with you, in particular about yesterday's game.

At HT the pundits kept harping on about how well Leicester had done after conceding and shown "great character" to come back. They'd got themselves back into the game and deserved to be level. I'm sorry what? They kicked a ball from a corner on to someone's head and it went into the net. I don't remember them making any attacking contributions in the remainder of that half. I don't see how that shows great character at all. They did nothing and they did very little in the 2nd half too other than that stumbling run which ended up with a fortuitous rebound. Then back to sitting with 11 men behind the ball. There's a way a to play on the counter but they literally relied on set pieces and just punting the ball long - no real threat on the counter at all. Pen or not justice was done at the end as that sort of play should never be rewarded with victory.

Yeah I agree with the both of you.

Unfortunately the media just work on narrative and that affects everything about how they view stuff.

In the game on the weekend's case, it was plucky underdogs come good Leicester against those fancy dan bigger club cup heavyweight Tottenham Hotspur. Lineker the BBC front man is a huge Leicester fan. Et al. So the narrative is all-consuming, never-ending and particularly myopic... facts will never get in the way of a good story. Therefore, the game as you outlined it is actually inconsequential - the narrative was Leicester. How their tactics actually affected the game is irrelevant. Imagine the media outpouring of utter c**sucking if they'd won, christ on a bike.

I think the gap is narrowing actually.

Could the park the bus tactic be in some way be attributed to the fear of falling out of the division and the financial implications that ensue? Better to play boring and stay in the PL than expansive football and get relegated.

I think that is probably part of it.

Fair point on the first paragraph. On the second one I agree that the old fashioned clubs like Villa and Saudi Sportswashing Machine have been left behind. Although I'd like to wait to the end of the season to evaluate the 'rise' of the forward thinking ones. Swansea look to be on the slide as are Southampton. Watford having a good season but so did Southampton a few seasons back. Leicester too.

If all four end up 'back where they should be' i.e mid table or below in the next few seasons, it would lead me to believe that although you can make some headway for a while by being 'forward thinking' but eventually it catches up on you (regression to the mean and all that jazz??? - lets not start that again though) unless you find some way to compete financially. Once initial success stops, eventually teams may be forced to 'park the bus' in fear of losing their place in the division as Rorschach says.

Hey, you leave Greece out of it! We won that fair and square. Although I wish we could have played more eye pleasing football, there was a discipline that Rehaggel instilled in that team that was a joy to watch. But that's the key: discipline. It's not easy to be laser focused on your task for a full 90, and for a team of 11 players to be able to do it for a full game and game in game out is commendable imv.

It's a joy to watch when you're supporting the underdog team playing that style. Just like Leicester fans were truly enjoy their performance against us on Sunday...

It's usually not a joy to watch for a neutral. And obviously not for the bigger team struggling to break down the smaller side, though not being entertaining for your opposition is hardly a negative.

Back