• Dear Guest, Please note that adult content is not permitted on this forum. We have had our Google ads disabled at times due to some posts that were found from some time ago. Please do not post adult content and if you see any already on the forum, please report the post so that we can deal with it. Adult content is allowed in the glory hole - you will have to request permission to access it. Thanks, scara

Park the Bus / Sit back and hit them on the break

Sandman

Dean Austin
Right.

After today's game I want to discuss this with you guys and get the general feeling on this tactic. Now before anyone jumps on my back that you have to break down tactics that are put in front of you. I agree with you. It is a valid tactic for any team to use.

What bugs me about it though is the way the tactic is applauded by the press and TV pundits. Yes its a valid tactic, but it does not mean they Dug in, played their hearts out for each other, where tactically well set up, solid, hard to break down and all those other puns that basically are used to describe this tactic.

How hard can it be to set up a team tactically to hold to banks of four within a certain distance each other. retain positions and let the two forwards chase around hoping to break up the opposition possession. In my mind not that hard. Yet this form of tactics is heralded every time as though it is some kind of master piece of tactical invention. And the played are applauded for fighting their hearts out.

Only in the UK would we say this. For me its the sign of a team that know their limits. Play within that for a result using the players they have at their disposal.

But lets look at it from another angle. IF both teams played in this manner you would not get a game. Its becoming that way this season as a lot of Home teams are playing this way as well as away. So a lot of stagnant games. If we had sat back today the game would not have been one of those so called Magic cup ties.

Maybe i'm just frustrated with how the game went. Maybe i'm frustrated that in two games in a week the opposition have score with their only attack of a whole half. But it just really bugs me big time when the Pundits all applaud it like it was some monumental effort to sit and defend and stay rigid. And they deserve all the credit they get. Even Kilbane was saying that this is how Leicester play so do be surprised they only have 30% possession. That is not my point.

As I said. Its a valid tactic. But why oh why is it given so much credit. Just think of when Chelski did it all the way to the European Cup Win. They were so damn lucky. But here we the Journos all applauded it.

It just sickens me a bit. Of course we all want two teams playing attacking open football to a certain degree. We are not going to get that a lot of the time. Just don't give them credit when credit is not due.

Continental teams generally do this. Google 'catenaccio'

Only in England and Germany do you really get the more gung-ho approach. It's why a lot of good foreign coaches (LVG, AVB) struggle to adapt to the expectation of entertaining as well as winning

Only in England and Germany do you really get the more gung-ho approach. It's why a lot of good foreign coaches (LVG, AVB) struggle to adapt to the expectation of entertaining as well as winning

But im not deriding the tactic. Im deriding the applause it gets.

Does this translate into corruption?

But im not deriding the tactic. Im deriding the applause it gets.

Its fudging awful ... but effective ...

to me, teams that regularly expect to get less than 40% possession, then play a percentages game with counters and set pieces are bricky reminders of a different era of british football.

Nothing to be applauded ...

I think it's the worse form of football but is becoming more and more used as its as you say... A way for limited players to get organised and be effective

It's why our league is becoming more competitive

When you play teams like us who are easy to frustrate then the tactics are spot on.

I think it's the worse form of football but is becoming more and more used as its as you say... A way for limited players to get organised and be effective

It's why our league is becoming more competitive

I actually think the reason the league is more competitive is

- combination of the tactics
- lower level teams can pay for mid tier players

previously they tried frustration tactics with really poor players and eventually it broke down, now you actually have mid tier, decent players playing this way.

The press will praise a team like Leicester doing this well pretty much regardless of tactics. Their fans will obviously love it (often seen with international sides too). But as seen with Pulis and Allardyce after a while the negativity of the style will overcome the positives of the results unless the results are truly spectacular for an extended period of time (utterly unlikely).

Ranieri gets praised to the heavens and back for playing this way with Leicester. He would be ridiculed if he did it with City or United for example. Or even Everton after not too long I think.

It's easier than playing a more expansive style of football. But I think most fans of teams that fail to reach their targets or get relegated trying to play a counter attacking style will say it's not outright easy.

Gets harder and harder to do consistently as you get higher up the hierarchy I think. Leicester could play that style today against us. Earlier this season they could probably play it against 80% of the PL. Second half of this PL season most of the mid table and bottom half teams will not let them play that way - at least not as easily.

It's a style we and many others have struggled with for some time. You just say fair play, it's an obstacle we must overcome. We will have a tough couple of games against these lot for sure.

I blame Chelsea and Greece.

Against that style you probably won't get clear chances, you'll get rebounds and ricochets, so you need to get numbers in the box, smack it in there, pressure the keeper, keep the ball in the box, bounces off De Laet's arse, easy goal. Just by pushing men into the box and jamming the ball in there, keep pinging it goalward and eventually you get the ""luck"" of it bouncing off someone's elbow.

Against that style you probably won't get clear chances, you'll get rebounds and ricochets, so you need to get numbers in the box, smack it in there, pressure the keeper, keep the ball in the box, bounces off De Laet's arse, easy goal. Just by pushing men into the box and jamming the ball in there, keep pinging it goalward and eventually you get the ""luck"" of it bouncing off someone's elbow.

At the same time "smacking it into the box" will mean a turnover at a higher rate leaving us open to the counter attack. Playing a more patient style looking for the higher percentage pass into the box means more control, like today.

Unless you are Barcelona (and even they can have their difficulties with it) then more orthodox wing play (players getting wide and crossing from dangerous areas) is needed imo. Mix that up with the short passing and vary the attacks.

Fergie's Utd excelled in this area.

Again I Think you guys are seeing my point but not what I am complaining about. I do regard it as a legitimate tactic, one that many teams can play and its a valid system. I may not like it but we have to deal with it.

But its the pundit response to it that bothers me. This who feeling that you played your hearts out, Dug deep and this somehow rewards that style of play as non negative. Its a valid system but it is also a negative system. And I think that it is easy to implement on many levels. But why oh why does it get applauded by the media for showing guts and determination. When its nothing of the sort.

Even Gaby logan said the teams were evenly matched. I dont think that was true at all. But that statement shows hoe people look at the tactic. We as supporters jeered as Chelski did it all the way to the CL final and won. And Greece did it to.

I think we saw it a lot more after Chelsea won the Champs League doing it. If I remember rightly the next European Championships was filled with teams playing in exactly the same manner.

I don't think it's the tactics being praised so much as it is the fact that smaller teams are using it to over achieve

Again I Think you guys are seeing my point but not what I am complaining about. I do regard it as a legitimate tactic, one that many teams can play and its a valid system. I may not like it but we have to deal with it.

But its the pundit response to it that bothers me. This who feeling that you played your hearts out, Dug deep and this somehow rewards that style of play as non negative. Its a valid system but it is also a negative system. And I think that it is easy to implement on many levels. But why oh why does it get applauded by the media for showing guts and determination. When its nothing of the sort.

Even Gaby logan said the teams were evenly matched. I dont think that was true at all. But that statement shows hoe people look at the tactic. We as supporters jeered as Chelski did it all the way to the CL final and won. And Greece did it to.
I understand you and agree; pundits are idiots.

Back