• Dear Guest, Please note that adult content is not permitted on this forum. We have had our Google ads disabled at times due to some posts that were found from some time ago. Please do not post adult content and if you see any already on the forum, please report the post so that we can deal with it. Adult content is allowed in the glory hole - you will have to request permission to access it. Thanks, scara

Our fans

The modern sense of entitlement.......

Comments on here are laughable, 'I pay my money to be entertained' I demand to see champagne football' 'Billy Nick' blah blah fudging blah.

How about you get behind your team vocally to lift their performance, and they score, and you cheer and they play better?

That's why home teams are favoured, as the crowd is meant to be an asset, not a hinderance which ours is becoming.

I'm at Man Utd away on Saturday.....fudging morgue.

It's a modern disease. There's an element in the fanbase, quite strongly represented among match-goers, who are of the belief that we were already on the cusp of greatness under Redknapp, whose perception it is that that has all been torn down over the summer for no good reason, and who are primed to carp and fault-find.

Any one of a number of alternative views (for example, that HR's tenure was past its peak and that Levy, with his standard-business-model, growth-chart mentality, acted as he did out of a desire to preserve the club's potential for longer-term success, before the house of cards came crashing down) may or may not become the accepted narrative eventually, but it's not going to do that unless the curve adopts a positive gradient again quite soon.

It's just in the nature of the modern, growth-chart-influenced fan's expectation that success ought in itself to be a promise of more of the same. People's sense of entitlement to having that promise fulfilled, bred by the media-hype around the sport, has become an addiction to some, and when it isn't being fed, they start to take it out on their own, as addicts will.

Great post - agree 100%

Its the same in most grounds these days, atmosphere's are not great at many places

Agreed.

Saudi Sportswashing Machine were inaudible until they scored on the opening day. There are very few home fans that get close to outsinging the away support any more. Stoke at times perhaps?

Even West Ham are quiet at home these days (apart from half a dozen renditions of bubbles).

It's a modern disease. There's an element in the fanbase, quite strongly represented among match-goers, who are of the belief that we were already on the cusp of greatness under Redknapp, whose perception it is that that has all been torn down over the summer for no good reason, and who are primed to carp and fault-find.

Any one of a number of alternative views (for example, that HR's tenure was past its peak and that Levy, with his standard-business-model, growth-chart mentality, acted as he did out of a desire to preserve the club's potential for longer-term success, before the house of cards came crashing down) may or may not become the accepted narrative eventually, but it's not going to do that unless the curve adopts a positive gradient again quite soon.

It's just in the nature of the modern, growth-chart-influenced fan's expectation that success ought in itself to be a promise of more of the same. People's sense of entitlement to having that promise fulfilled, bred by the media-hype around the sport, has become an addiction to some, and when it isn't being fed, they start to take it out on their own, as addicts will.

Nice post. Very accurate in my opinion.

I also think it relates to the question of why people want to support football clubs. Years ago, it used to be mostly for the same reason I support Spurs—just because they're my local team. Nowadays, people are much more likely to choose a club for reasons other than local identity or connection, and if you scratch the surface, that'll often be because of attraction to past successes of the club, either on their own part or that of a parent or other family member or somebody. Once the choice is made, one can't very well change one's team (not without losing face, anyway) and when the successes aren't repeated often enough, that probably becomes a blocked wish for some, generating frustration and anger. I do think it's a shame when Spurs miss opportunities, and when they snatch defeat from the jaws of victory, but I couldn't say I ever get angry about it. I accept that it's entirely beyond my control, and the grass might be greener elsewhere, but I can't change the weather.

Agreed.

Saudi Sportswashing Machine were inaudible until they scored on the opening day. There are very few home fans that get close to outsinging the away support any more. Stoke at times perhaps?

Even West Ham are quiet at home these days (apart from half a dozen renditions of bubbles).

Stoke were complete brick last season......I was genuinely looking forward to the famous atmosphere. Non-existant

To get proper atmos you need to go to championship and lower league grounds.

The likes of Norwich are good.......25,000 passionate fans making a racket.

Stoke probably were good, but they had a few decent seasons, and now the expectation has set in. It's not about helping the team raise their game, but about waiting for them to give you what you expect.

Leeds actually have a good atmos with 24,000 in there - especially if they are in the game, like all teams these days they go quiet when they concede.

What annoys me the most is that so many "supporters" leave before the game is over. Against QPR, lots of people starting leaving with ten minutes left of the game. And it was not only in the West Stand. Even in Park Lane I saw people queuing to get out of there. I realize that the weather was brick and that people were perhaps not too keen on queueing outside the railway station for half an hour, but in my opinion, if you are a fan, you stay till the end. And especially when the game is in the balance like it was on Sunday. I don't understand how people can even consider leaving. I am sure some had a very good reason to leave early, but not that many.

Spursman summed it up perfectly a few pages back. A lot of it comes down to frustration in general with football and the direction it is heading in. There have always been rich teams and poor teams, but the gulf now is astronomical! We're not exactly poor or a small club, but we can't even hold on to our best players for more than 3-4 years in their prime.

hasnt it always been the case since the end of the 70's??

Archibald was at Spurs for 4 years before joining Barca. Waddle for 4 years before Marseille snapped him up. Gascoigne for 3 years and the deal to Lazio was agreed. Klinsmann left after a year to Bayern. Just some examples.

the only ones we held onto in their prime were Hoddle because he genuinely loves the club, and King because he too loves Spurs but also his constant injury probs meant that other clubs were put off. Same with Anderton regarding the injuries.

Regarding the ticket price argument, I don't think it's so cut and dried as people are making out. I'm not in any way rich and so nowadays I can only afford to go to very few games and that's a financial struggle anyway. I personally don't boo, but I can understand if you're frustrated when you pay such huge amounts and make sacrifices for a ticket only to see the kind of dross we saw in the first half vs QPR.

I regularly go to lower league teams and the supporters are much more about supporting the team no matter what is served up (and there is some awful football and home team drubbings going on), but when you pay a tenner to get in you're not going for the class of football, it's more having a laugh with your mates and singing some songs.

The price of tickets has nowt to do with it. I don't sing more or less or boo depending on if I pay 20 or 70 quid. It's just a false argument. Fans are either c*nts or they aren't.

The definition of a supporter ( imo) is one who supports their team no matter how well or poor they play, booing is not supporting your team and those who do it are dingdongheads.
I do not care what class they are, how much they pay for their ticket, supporters support, dingdongheads boo.

So people don't think there's a difference in attitude when comparing a supporter who earns 150k a year with someone on minimum wage, when the football is poor??

So people don't think there's a difference in attitude when comparing a supporter who earns 150k a year with someone on minimum wage, when the football is poor??

Thank you. I think some of these guys don't appreciate the kind of sacrifices some people make to watch this club. Especially if they want to bring their kids.

The definition of a supporter ( imo) is one who supports their team no matter how well or poor they play, booing is not supporting your team and those who do it are dingdongheads.
I do not care what class they are, how much they pay for their ticket, supporters support, dingdongheads boo.

Buying a ticket doesn't make you a supporter.

Most clubs in the PL and some in the Championship have a fan base whose expectations well exceed the actual ability of their players. In the PL you have five clubs expecting to win the title, another five thinking they should be in the CL and most of the rest thinking they could get into the EL. That doesn't fit into the available number of places. Every time I read on forums of other clubs I see them expecting to get something from the next match, regardless of opponent. Afterwards they're disappointed that their players didn't put on a world class performance and the other team didn't just lay down and die.

There will always be unhappy fans as they all have different expectations. Some just want results - just play negative hoofball, but that doesn't wash with those looking for entertaining football. And then there's those that want both and then some. I think a lot has changed since the invention of message boards, whereas before you'd chat with co-workers, mates at the pub or those around you at the match, now people spend hours every day dissecting every little piece of info and collectively reach a state where they expect more than can possibly be delivered.

Buying a ticket doesn't make you a supporter.

Most clubs in the PL and some in the Championship have a fan base whose expectations well exceed the actual ability of their players. In the PL you have five clubs expecting to win the title, another five thinking they should be in the CL and most of the rest thinking they could get into the EL. That doesn't fit into the available number of places. Every time I read on forums of other clubs I see them expecting to get something from the next match, regardless of opponent. Afterwards they're disappointed that their players didn't put on a world class performance and the other team didn't just lay down and die.

There will always be unhappy fans as they all have different expectations. Some just want results - just play negative hoofball, but that doesn't wash with those looking for entertaining football. And then there's those that want both and then some. I think a lot has changed since the invention of message boards, whereas before you'd chat with co-workers, mates at the pub or those around you at the match, now people spend hours every day dissecting every little piece of info and collectively reach a state where they expect more than can possibly be delivered.

I am not sure why you have said that in reply to my post, if you are a supporter of a team then you should support them not boo them. Of course not everyone that goes to a certain game is a supporter of either club, but the majority are.

I am not sure why you have said that in reply to my post, if you are a supporter of a team then you should support them not boo them. Of course not everyone that goes to a certain game is a supporter of either club, but the majority are.

Why is it always people who dont go to the games who say stuff like this

Just because someone pays for a ticket, it doesn't mean they're 'supporters' in the way a lot of posters in this thread seem to think they should be. Nobody should be booing, but don't expect everyone to be singing and shouting encouragement.

Just because someone pays for a ticket, it doesn't mean they're 'supporters' in the way a lot of posters in this thread seem to think they should be. Nobody should be booing, but don't expect everyone to be singing and shouting encouragement.

I never said i expect supporters to sing, but i do not expect them to slag the team or players off as soon as they make a mistake. That is not supporting the team.

Back