• Dear Guest, Please note that adult content is not permitted on this forum. We have had our Google ads disabled at times due to some posts that were found from some time ago. Please do not post adult content and if you see any already on the forum, please report the post so that we can deal with it. Adult content is allowed in the glory hole - you will have to request permission to access it. Thanks, scara

Our fans

That's exactly what we did when we used the same tactic against West Ham in 2005, ran the clock down then gave away possession and they equalised, we gave ourselves no time to score a winner. It still hurts to this day.

What's to say we wouldn't have scored a third? Not to even attempt to is unforgivable. More to the point, we squandered possession anyway, so had QPR got an equaliser we'd have lost possession without even putting their goal under pressure.

Failling that, if we're to use this dreadful tactic why not take the hoarding down? Not a lot of point in motivational words if we don't try to live by them.

Re the underline bit, contrast it with this "The great fallacy is that the game is first and last about winning. It is nothing of the kind. The game is about glory, it is about doing things in style and with a flourish, about going out and beating the other lot, not waiting for them to die of boredom."

Let's be fair, we had been going for the third right up until the 92nd minute. I guarantee that had we not played keep-ball (miserably!) and had we swashbuckled and conceded after that, this place would've been hopping!

Jimmy, I admire your unconditional love for Spurs, I just don't subscribe to it myself. What I saw today wasn't good enough. Bale failed at what he was trying to do. Failed to please this fan, failed to maintain possession. Like I've said, don't post motivational Danny Blanchflowers comments in 2ft high letters directly under the director's box and then ignore them. Makes a mockery of Audere Est Facere, running the clock down with the ball in the north east quadrant.

So fudging right I'll boo (in reality I won't) if the players don't strive for the standards of achievement set out by the club.

Dare To Lose To Win.

!!!
I think in fairness this has happened far FAR more under some previous managers. Didn't we have three 0-0s in a row under raincoat?

Let's be fair, we had been going for the third right up until the 92nd minute. I guarantee that had we not played keep-ball (miserably!) and had we swashbuckled and conceded after that, this place would've been hopping!

I'd rather a draw where we got caught out going for the convincing win than the abject attempt to close the game out that I witnessed.

Still, half the people who despise booers had probably left the stadium by then.

Just reread that post, are you suggesting AVB and the team base their gameplan on what will be said in the GG OMT?

G'night lads, I'm off up the wooden hill to Bedfordshire, lively debate with no offence intended if I've given any (apart from ****s who leave before the final whistle has blown). :p

G'night lads, I'm off up the wooden hill to Bedfordshire, lively debate with no offence intended if I've given any (apart from ****s who leave before the final whistle has blown). :p

Goodnight matey, glad to see you back and debating, a sign of good 'ealth methinks! And agreed. No leaving before the final whistle!
COYS

I'd rather a draw where we got caught out going for the convincing win than the abject attempt to close the game out that I witnessed.

Still, half the people who despise booers had probably left the stadium by then.

I wouldn't.... Once the game reaches injury time I think it is acceptable to make sure you close it out.

I can remember that game against West Ham back in 2005. Although I think I remember it differently to you(?!?) I thought somebody (Malbranque?) had gone and tried to get us a second goal only for their keeper to end up in posession of the ball. West Ham then punted it down field, we conceeded a corner and then Anton Ferdinand (I think?) scored a header from the corner with just about the last touch of the game.... I remember being livid at how unprofessional we were, a player putting personal glory above the needs of the team, going for goal and then giving the opposition the chance to get everyone forward and launch one last attack with nothing to lose.

For what it is worth, I clapped the team off at half time, because certain key players worked their socks off in the half and it was down to them that we were still in the game. I can recall Friedel pulling off some quality saves; Vertonghen making some superbly timed tackles.

Every time we boo the team off at half time we hand the psycological initiative to the other team. It also shows a complete lack of class. What p****s me off is those who say "I pay good money to watch this, so I'll boo if I want too"! All I can say is that you have ceased to be fans and you have become consumers. If you don't like what you are seeing, why do you not ask for your money back and give those who would give up important parts of their anatomy a chance to hold a ST.

Rant over!!

Glad it wasnt just me then. Whether people think its wrong or not, I stood up and clapped. Booing does not help one bit!

My biggest problem with our club is levy and i do not think i will feel secure aas long as that taco is in control. He needs to move over to protect his investment in the club because he is the biggest thing stopping us going the next level.

Hmn, so ENIC sell up as you would like...what is to stop them selling to someone who sells the ground on a leaseback deal and takes the profits? Or loading the club with debt? What stops us going to the "next level" is that we don't have an Abramovitch throwing millions at us. Be careful what you wish for......

I wouldn't.... Once the game reaches injury time I think it is acceptable to make sure you close it out.

I can remember that game against West Ham back in 2005. Although I think I remember it differently to you(?!?) I thought somebody (Malbranque?) had gone and tried to get us a second goal only for their keeper to end up in posession of the ball. West Ham then punted it down field, we conceeded a corner and then Anton Ferdinand (I think?) scored a header from the corner with just about the last touch of the game.... I remember being livid at how unprofessional we were, a player putting personal glory above the needs of the team, going for goal and then giving the opposition the chance to get everyone forward and launch one last attack with nothing to lose.

I remember it as Edgar Davids fudging about in the north west quadrant then squandering possession, they broke, won the corner then scored. Just think, if we'd exhibited the same positive spirit as West Ham we may have closed the game out by scoring.

The match report below doesn't confirm either of our recollections of the match but I found the comment from TS on 606 rather relevant http://news.bbc.co.uk/sport1/hi/football/eng_prem/4431094.stm

Last edited:
It was Defoe caught offside just inside the West Ham half from a Lennon pass was it not? They punted the ball up, Dawson headed it out and they scored from the corner.

Supporters support their team, that does not mean booing or slagging of the players, team or manager when things go wrong.

Those who think that by booing they are going to encourage the team to play better are living in cloud cuckoo land.

I'm 18 and have been attending games since 2006... only 6 years but in that point I've noticed a huge change in the atmosphere and type of support we have in the ground... I personally blame the hike in ticket prices we get regularly now and the fact some of our fans seem to have turned into arsenal like supporters...

The comments about class on this thread are a total joke. I was the only one singing on Thursday and by most definitions I'm middle class. Utter gonad*s.

If you boo your team before the final whistle your a joke IMO. Our fans have a terrible rep as deluded and petulant. Deservedly so.

Spursman summed it up perfectly a few pages back. A lot of it comes down to frustration in general with football and the direction it is heading in. There have always been rich teams and poor teams, but the gulf now is astronomical! We're not exactly poor or a small club, but we can't even hold on to our best players for more than 3-4 years in their prime.

That's a fair enough assessment. If people feel that way don't go and torture yourself then?! He amount of negative energy in the stadium is palpable.

It's a modern disease. There's an element in the fanbase, quite strongly represented among match-goers, who are of the belief that we were already on the cusp of greatness under Redknapp, whose perception it is that that has all been torn down over the summer for no good reason, and who are primed to carp and fault-find.

Any one of a number of alternative views (for example, that HR's tenure was past its peak and that Levy, with his standard-business-model, growth-chart mentality, acted as he did out of a desire to preserve the club's potential for longer-term success, before the house of cards came crashing down) may or may not become the accepted narrative eventually, but it's not going to do that unless the curve adopts a positive gradient again quite soon.

It's just in the nature of the modern, growth-chart-influenced fan's expectation that success ought in itself to be a promise of more of the same. People's sense of entitlement to having that promise fulfilled, bred by the media-hype around the sport, has become an addiction to some, and when it isn't being fed, they start to take it out on their own, as addicts will.

Back