• Dear Guest, Please note that adult content is not permitted on this forum. We have had our Google ads disabled at times due to some posts that were found from some time ago. Please do not post adult content and if you see any already on the forum, please report the post so that we can deal with it. Adult content is allowed in the glory hole - you will have to request permission to access it. Thanks, scara

Our fans

I'm sorry but it boils down to one thing - entertainment. Like I say I barely get off my seat at games now and last night the only time I got off my seat was at half time. Last night everyone around me in block 39 was BORED. It was dull. You could tell by most peoples expressions around me.

Its a two way thing... yeah we support but the team has to give a bit of entertainment and at the moment its a bit dry to say the least. So when the fans don't get up they actually sit there bored.

Also the songs are boring. I'm not the creative type but we need a section a stand - most great stadiums have an identifiable stand which makes the main noise and starts everything off.

Before i reply to your post i just want to say this is not a dig at you but more of a general point. Earlier in the thread i posted that the difference between our fans that attend only home games and the ones that travel away is the following. At the Lane we have over the last few years attracted fans who have the attitude " i want to be entertained phalanx", in other words if you do not entertain me i will not support you by singing and shouting, at away games the fans will cheer and sing no matter what.

I do not miss hardly any games but if i am honest i prefer away games because the atmosphere is far better, at the Lane it stinks most of time and its all down to the fans.

All very well saying about new chants but whenever me and my mates start a new one people look at us like we're aliens. Spurs fans can't continuously chant and clap a long song like United or whatever do, we prefer short stuff which is bloody boring

I do not miss hardly any games but if i am honest i prefer away games because the atmosphere is far better, at the Lane it stinks most of time and its all down to the fans.

There are several issues, but the atmosphere has definitely declined, maybe its having to sit down, maybe its the tension of wondering if we will win, maybe the ageing demographic has something to do with it - older guys have less testosterone, maybe are generally less animated at games. Maybe people drink less. Maybe the diehards have all been ejected for standing. I will do my best tomorrow as it is the first live game I will have seen this season, but it could be an uphill struggle, we'll see... I'll be in Block 43 with my son and I'm looking forward to every minute of it (except the inevitable goal from a returning old boy).

It's not class or education level, wealth or any other rubbish reason. It's expectation.

Because now we're expected to win every home game, failure to do so is the end of the world and the crowd is nervous from the start. They wait for the team to score before going back to enjoying the game, or even starting to enjoy the game. A misplaced pass is groaned at. You can tell the players feel the pressure too, if it is 0-0 going into 70mins or so they start getting reckless. Exposed at the back, rushed play. The groans get louder as time goes by.

The difference between home games and away games is that the fans that go away are either local to that area and cherish the game they get to see, or have made a concerted effort to get to the away game - like everyone else you are sat around. Expectation goes out the window in away games because it's an away trip.

Even the 'ultras' at the youth games have come in for criticism from some.. people on the forums calling them pathetic, embarrassing etc.

Fans need to adjust their attitude towards games. You go to support, cheer the team to win. They don't step out onto the field just to entertain you. Go and rent a movie if you want that. Otherwise, support and be entertained when they win.

I think it does. My reference to the earlier post regarding Saudi Sportswashing Machine supporters and ours. They are more passionate, predominantly working class, spend a higher proportion of
their salary on football. This is reflected in their enthusiasm and greater vocal support at games

You do love a stereotype, don't you?

Perhaps you should get out more and get to know people before commenting.

For starters, the St James' Park atmosphere is, like Anfield's, something of a myth. But even if it wasn't, your theory is based on...........well, nothing of any substance.

You're merely guessing as to the social make up of the St James' Park crowd. For that matter, it appears that you're guessing as to the social make up of the White Hart Lane crowd too. Are there many middle class fans who attend games at White Hart Lane? Certainly. But there are many middle class fans who attend games at St James' Park too. And if there was any substance to your theory, clubs like Wigan, Bolton, Blackburn etc (who really don't attract much by way of middle class support) would be heaving bearpits of noise. But they're not. Quite the opposite.

Even more pertinently, you're guessing as to the supporting habits of middle class and working class fans. As I've already told you, our middle class group of fans is far more vocal and passionate than any of the fans that have sat around us in 20 years of having a season ticket in various parts of the ground.

If there is a distinction to be made about supporting habits, I suspect that age is far more important than class. It's something of a generalisation but, for many long serving fans, there comes a time when they feel that they have done their bit in terms of supporting the team and that it isn't really becoming for them to be singing and jumping around any more. So they stop and leave all that sort of thing to the younger generation of fans. The only problem is that, at White Hart Lane, there are fewer and fewer of those. Two reasons:

1. Limited capacity - many young fans simply can't get tickets because the older fans have them sewn up.
2. Ticket prices - most young fans simply can't afford season tickets at WHL now.

Anyway, let's not take this thread off track. Whatever our fans' background, what's important is that they start to support the team properly once again.

Before i reply to your post i just want to say this is not a dig at you but more of a general point. Earlier in the thread i posted that the difference between our fans that attend only home games and the ones that travel away is the following. At the Lane we have over the last few years attracted fans who have the attitude " i want to be entertained phalanx", in other words if you do not entertain me i will not support you by singing and shouting, at away games the fans will cheer and sing no matter what.

No dig.

I have been going for eight years as an ST but went before also so I have seen the brick times and seen the good times more recently. I think that is still fresh in my mind. Had we been playing the way we were at present soon after the Francis or Graham days then I would be excited. I have gone to away games and I find it much better but I guess thats also because there is a minority so the atmosphere is compressed and the siege mentality also - us against them.

My point wasnt well made - its just one of the contributing factors. There are others for example our songs really are boring and mundane. There is also the issue that standing is 'prohibited' and we have stewards acting like little hitlers where you so much as stand up for a few seconds they come charging down at you. Singing and sitting down do not go hand in hand in my opinion.

Further to my point about the away fans making more noise because its more compressed, at WHL its the opposite. You have pockets of singing and fervent support but what we desperately need and i sincerely hope this is the case with the new stadium is a main stand such as the Kop or the Dortmund stadium etc. We need an identity stand so to speak. The park lane and the shelf side doesnt make a stand and its all in the corner etc. It aint that intimidating.

There are so many contributing factors than just the football entertainment (although that is still an issue)

No dig.

I have been going for eight years as an ST but went before also so I have seen the brick times and seen the good times more recently. I think that is still fresh in my mind. Had we been playing the way we were at present soon after the Francis or Graham days then I would be excited. I have gone to away games and I find it much better but I guess thats also because there is a minority so the atmosphere is compressed and the siege mentality also - us against them.

My point wasnt well made - its just one of the contributing factors. There are others for example our songs really are boring and mundane. There is also the issue that standing is 'prohibited' and we have stewards acting like little hitlers where you so much as stand up for a few seconds they come charging down at you. Singing and sitting down do not go hand in hand in my opinion.

Further to my point about the away fans making more noise because its more compressed, at WHL its the opposite. You have pockets of singing and fervent support but what we desperately need and i sincerely hope this is the case with the new stadium is a main stand such as the Kop or the Dortmund stadium etc. We need an identity stand so to speak. The park lane and the shelf side doesnt make a stand and its all in the corner etc. It aint that intimidating.

There are so many contributing factors than just the football entertainment (although that is still an issue)

I do understand where you are coming from and agree with most of it, but the reality is that there are a lot of fans who go to the Lane nowadays are not supporters. By that i mean they turn on the team and individuals at the first mistake, that ( imo) is not supporting your team, in two of our home games this season i have had confrotations with dingdongheads who have done nothing but slag the player, manager and team off.

As for being made to sit down that has been happening for years so its not the reason why over the last couple of years the atmpshere has got worse, i do not go along with the myth that you have to be tanked up to sing either.

Last edited:
I feel there are many reasons for the poorer atmospheres but I think it's largely due to restriction of movement in an all seater stadium.
When a singing fan goes to watch his team play in an all seater stadium he has a reserved seat for the season.
He knows who is seated around him and he knows from previous games, that when
he tries to get a song going those around him are not interested so it's not before long, that he too also soon becomes a mute watching fan.

Watching games in the late 70s , 80s prior to the all seater, was a different experience for the fan
who wanted to sing on his team. For example, the singing fan could pay at the Paxton Road End, hear that the Park Lane were in good voice that day and think, I want some of that and he would simply walk around to the other end. Back then, the singing fan would also get himself into the ground, not 5 or 10 minutes before a game, but quite often as soon as the turnstiles were opened. This was done to defend the singing section against opposing fans and once there, would be breaking into song a couple of hours prior to kick-off . It was during that wait for the kick-off, that many new songs were often tried out and this was entertainment itself hearing various fans trying to get a new song going.

It's not class or education level, wealth or any other rubbish reason. It's expectation.

Because now we're expected to win every home game, failure to do so is the end of the world and the crowd is nervous from the start. They wait for the team to score before going back to enjoying the game, or even starting to enjoy the game. A misplaced pass is groaned at. You can tell the players feel the pressure too, if it is 0-0 going into 70mins or so they start getting reckless. Exposed at the back, rushed play. The groans get louder as time goes by.

The difference between home games and away games is that the fans that go away are either local to that area and cherish the game they get to see, or have made a concerted effort to get to the away game - like everyone else you are sat around. Expectation goes out the window in away games because it's an away trip.

Even the 'ultras' at the youth games have come in for criticism from some.. people on the forums calling them pathetic, embarrassing etc.

Fans need to adjust their attitude towards games. You go to support, cheer the team to win. They don't step out onto the field just to entertain you. Go and rent a movie if you want that. Otherwise, support and be entertained when they win.

=D>

Really? I'm very surprised to hear that. I haven't seen anything negative on here nor the Fighting **** (obviously). I think 1882 are showing the way forward if you ask me.

the only criticism i saw was for the use of the word 'Ultra' not what they were actually doing - seems they took it on board though, hence the name change

If there is a distinction to be made about supporting habits, I suspect that age is far more important than class. It's something of a generalisation but, for many long serving fans, there comes a time when they feel that they have done their bit in terms of supporting the team and that it isn't really becoming for them to be singing and jumping around any more. So they stop and leave all that sort of thing to the younger generation of fans. The only problem is that, at White Hart Lane, there are fewer and fewer of those. Two reasons:

1. Limited capacity - many young fans simply can't get tickets because the older fans have them sewn up.
2. Ticket prices - most young fans simply can't afford season tickets at WHL now.

Agree with this and I've been saying it for years. Look around you at WHL - the fanbase is not very middle class - it is just OLDER. I suspect the class breakdown of our support hasn't really changed a great deal over the years. They've just become wealthier, as older people of all class backgrounds tend to do (or used to do? not sure this trend will continue in the future!) There is then a tendency to lump such people in with the MC when this often isn't the case. I suppose it depends on your defintion of class. I regard the MC as only a privileged section of the WC anyway.

the only criticism i saw was for the use of the word 'Ultra' not what they were actually doing - seems they took it on board though, hence the name change

Right I get you. Yeah the ultras name comes with baggage. They were right to change it.

Not only is the atmosphere brick, the songs are brick! How many "there's only one" songs do we have? Should only have one!

We used to have some original songs: "posh spice is a slapper, she wears a wonderbra. And when she's shagging Beckham, she thinks of Ginola."

Think it was Jimmy who said the older fans don't sing as much because they feel they have "done their bit". I see what he was saying, but that's not an excuse. Obviously when you get to a certain age (70's, 80's), you're not going to sing as much, that's a given.

I only hope the atmosphere improves when we move into our new stadium and we have a kop like stand behind the goal.

I think people have finally realised whatever we do we can never be a top top team.

When we get close we end up selling our best players because they want to go. We dont have the money to compete at the top.

So people come along for a day out now.

Ive been going for the last 15 years and its only now that im starting to calm down a bit. Football just gives me grief and im not losing my temper over it anymore. I just have to think whatever we do we wont be a top top team without BIG money.

Football is kinda dead now. Not the same as it used to be.

sorry to be so negative but i think deep down people are starting to get fed up

I think people have finally realised whatever we do we can never be a top top team.

When we get close we end up selling our best players because they want to go. We dont have the money to compete at the top.

Ive been going for the last 15 years and its only now that im starting to calm down a bit. Football just gives me grief and im not losing my temper over it anymore. I just have to think whatever we do we wont be a top top team without BIG money.

Agree with every word of that.

After last season's disappointment, I'm trying to get to a stage where I'm only affected by a result for about half an hour after the game finishes. It's going to be bloody hard because football is so addictive, but it's really not worth letting it get to you so much.

Good post

Back