• Dear Guest, Please note that adult content is not permitted on this forum. We have had our Google ads disabled at times due to some posts that were found from some time ago. Please do not post adult content and if you see any already on the forum, please report the post so that we can deal with it. Adult content is allowed in the glory hole - you will have to request permission to access it. Thanks, scara

Our fans

maybe it was apprehension due to our inability to beat west brom and norwich knowing that lazio were a far superior side

confidence is as much an issue for the fans as it is with the players

Im sorry but it boils down to one thing - entertainment. Like I say I barely get off my seat at games now and last night the only time I got off my seat was at half time. Last night everyone around me in block 39 was BORED. It was dull. You could tell by most peoples expressions around me.

Its a two way thing... yeah we support but the team has to give a bit of entertainment and at the moment its a bit dry to say the least. So when the fans dont get up they actually sit there bored.

Also the songs are boring. Im not the creative type but we need a section a stand - most great stadiums have an identifiable stand which makes the main noise and starts everything off.

Most people aren't there to sing and cheer, but to BE entertained. That's how it works these days.

I have been going home and away for the last 15 years. All I can say is that we genuinely used to have one of the best home atmospheres and in my honest opinion we had the best away support in the league along with Man United.

As it currently stands I actually find it embarrassing. Right now we have brick support, no two ways about it. We are used to slating the scum for their brick and pathetic support. As things stand they make more noise than us on an average game. Think its a mixture of slight success along with some fans to supporting AVB. Saying that it was generally brick under Redknapp too.

Regarding our away support, I have noticed our fans getting younger and younger. At reading the other week I was sitting in the top corner and some of our fans reminded me of West Ham fans. Singing pathetic and idiotic songs. It will also keep getting younger over the next few years considering the new loyalty point system. You will no longer get the old boys attending the arsenals and chelseas as they don't go to most of the over away games.

In general I think a lot of our fans are fudging idiots and I tend to get tinkled off with other fans at away games calling players and the manager a ****.

I miss the Martin Jol days. No matter what the score was, home or away, our fans would be buzzing.

In my view they have. At work, there are a fair number of middle class fans who don't particularly have a long standing affection for the clubs they support, and are not the
ones who get tanked up before hand and sing

Class has got fudge all to do with it.

I'm privately educated. You'd probably describe me as posh. Likewise most of our little group of season ticket holders.

Yet we are the only ones who consistently sing in our area of the Shelf side lower. It was no different when we had seats in the Paxton upper. We were the only ones who appeared to be truly passionate about the club.

And enough of this nonsense about middle class fans being johnny-come-latelies. Some are. Some aren't. Just like working class fans.

I have been going home and away for the last 15 years. All I can say is that we genuinely used to have one of the best home atmospheres and in my honest opinion we had the best away support in the league along with Man United.

As it currently stands I actually find it embarrassing. Right now we have brick support, no two ways about it. We are used to slating the scum for their brick and pathetic support. As things stand they make more noise than us on an average game. Think its a mixture of slight success along with some fans to supporting AVB. Saying that it was generally brick under Redknapp too.

Regarding our away support, I have noticed our fans getting younger and younger. At reading the other week I was sitting in the top corner and some of our fans reminded me of West Ham fans. Singing pathetic and idiotic songs. It will also keep getting younger over the next few years considering the new loyalty point system. You will no longer get the old boys attending the arsenals and chelseas as they don't go to most of the over away games.

In general I think a lot of our fans are fudging idiots and I tend to get tinkled off with other fans at away games calling players and the manager a ****.

I miss the Martin Jol days. No matter what the score was, home or away, our fans would be buzzing.

Highlighted in bold...........precisely why I started this thread. It is truly embarrassing. And we HAVE to do something about it.

Far, far too many people making what I consider to be weak excuses on behalf of our support.

But it won't wash. To those making these excuses, I say:

It shouldn't matter that you are nervous during tight games. Singing will make you (and the team) less nervous.
It shouldn't matter that the team isn't playing brilliantly (not least because our support is just as brick when we are playing brilliantly).
It shouldn't matter that it's a Europa League game (not least because our support is just as brick for Premier League games).
It shouldn't matter that we rarely get to play games at 3 pm on a Saturday afternoon (not least because etc.......)
It shouldn't matter whether you hated Redknapp or loved him. All that matters is that, hopefully, you love Spurs.
It shouldn't even matter that you're made to sit down. No one's making you wear a gag.

The only thing that can genuinely stop you singing is losing your voice. So enough of the powder puff excuses.

Im sorry but it boils down to one thing - entertainment. Like I say I barely get off my seat at games now and last night the only time I got off my seat was at half time. Last night everyone around me in block 39 was BORED. It was dull. You could tell by most peoples expressions around me.

Its a two way thing... yeah we support but the team has to give a bit of entertainment and at the moment its a bit dry to say the least. So when the fans dont get up they actually sit there bored.

Also the songs are boring. Im not the creative type but we need a section a stand - most great stadiums have an identifiable stand which makes the main noise and starts everything off.

No. Sorry. Not having that. Chances created, Dembele walking through the midfield, goals scored (but not allowed)...seriously, if youre going to tell me Lazio was a boring match, then can I ask how much of some of those godawful latter-day Francis era matches you saw, let alone GGG era?

As for a two-way thing, come on mate, football has always had a different standard when it comes to entertainment versus reaction. it's a love affair and the sex is not always 21 year old nubile shaggery! Sometimes it takes some work, some investment and some spark re-ignition. It's a love affair and everyone has to keep working on it.

Whatever anyone says about AVB, the man has shown he wants it and wants to make it work and is trying his nuts off, ditto the players. So right now, for me, they deserve committed, loud and vocal support.

COYS!

I don't disagree with you to be honest. What has knocked me for six is how arrogant and plastic our fans became when we had a whiff of success. It started under Jol. All of a sudden if there wasn't year in year out improvement the manager had to go etc. Two 5th places weren't good enough. Then 4th, 5th, 4th isn't good enough. Manager has taken us as far as he can flimflam, flimflam, flimflam etc. Fans who have that attitude will never truly enjoy the present....ever. And in a few years the mentality of our fans (which was never good in the first place IMHO, our lot aren't very realistic at the best of times) has really turned to brick.

It's interesting, because I'm beginning to feel that if we ever sat down and had a pint, we'd find more common ground than either of us might've thought. Fan arrogance is certainly an issue. Without wishing to go back to 'that' topic again, I can certainly say in my case that it was not a case of 'not good enough or not' it was a case of effort, application, focus and honesty. I will always say he could've had a statue built for him had he kept his eye on the job at hand and not pretended that the fact he didn't had nothing to do with anything. But anyway, I agree with the realism element TBF. I believe that in MODERN terms we have been punching above our weight for a fair few years now in terms of finance versus stadium size versus others. It's obviously a more detailed conversation than we'll get to have here, but again, I think we'd share some GENERAL agreements on most things mate.

Highlighted in bold...........precisely why I started this thread. It is truly embarrassing. And we HAVE to do something about it.

Far, far too many people making what I consider to be weak excuses on behalf of our support.

But it won't wash. To those making these excuses, I say:

It shouldn't matter that you are nervous during tight games. Singing will make you (and the team) less nervous.
It shouldn't matter that the team isn't playing brilliantly (not least because our support is just as brick when we are playing brilliantly).
It shouldn't matter that it's a Europa League game (not least because our support is just as brick for Premier League games).
It shouldn't matter that we rarely get to play games at 3 pm on a Saturday afternoon (not least because etc.......)
It shouldn't matter whether you hated Redknapp or loved him. All that matters is that, hopefully, you love Spurs.
It shouldn't even matter that you're made to sit down. No one's making you wear a gag.

The only thing that can genuinely stop you singing is losing your voice. So enough of the powder puff excuses.

Problem is that the majority just aren't there to do what we consider as 'supporting the team'.

To really do something about we'd need everyone that's inclined to sing to gather in the same area.

Problem is that the majority just aren't there to do what we consider as 'supporting the team'.

To really do something about we'd need everyone that's inclined to sing to gather in the same area.

As I said in the original post, an organised group like 1882 is the best hope that we have for bringing a consistently great atmosphere back to Spurs home games. And we will probably have to wait until the move into the new stadium before that becomes possible. But when the time comes, the club must not miss the opportunity to ensure that it happens.

But I think that there's far more to it than what you're suggesting. After all, the vast majority of those who are failing to create any kind of decent atmosphere at the Lane now are the same people who were consistently creating a great atmosphere a few years ago.

Class has got fudge all to do with it.

I'm privately educated. You'd probably describe me as posh. Likewise most of our little group of season ticket holders.

Yet we are the only ones who consistently sing in our area of the Shelf side lower. It was no different when we had seats in the Paxton upper. We were the only ones who appeared to be truly passionate about the club.

And enough of this nonsense about middle class fans being johnny-come-latelies. Some are. Some aren't. Just like working class fans.

I think it does. My reference to the earlier post regarding Saudi Sportswashing Machine supporters and ours. They are more passionate, predominantly working class, spend a higher proportion of
their salary on football. This is reflected in their enthusiasm and greater vocal support at games

We are up to 4 pages of this thread and unless I've missed it, I haven't seen many solutions to this problem? So here is one for us all to ponder. I like the way that the "Ledley" chant gets an airing at the 26 minute mark.

So against QPR, why don't we all pick the 18th and 82nd minutes (whatever the score; however we are playing) to get a different chant going?

18th Minute - "My eyes have seen the glory of the cups of WHL"?
82nd Minute - "We are Tottenham, super Tottenham, from the Lane"?

What do people think?

Last edited:
We are up to 4 pages of this thread and unless I've missed it, I haven't seen many solutions to this problem? So here is one for us all to ponder. I like the way that the "Ledley" chant gets an airing at the 26 minute mark.

So against QPR, why don't we all pick the 18th and 82nd minutes (whatever the score; however we are playing) to get a different chant going?

What do people think?

I think its a great idea but sadly it will never happen mate.

What do people think?

It is a good idea, but a bit of clockwatching waiting for the the numbers to tick round nearing each 'landmark time' could detract from the experierience, if you see where I'm coming from.
Would still join in though if it catches on

Back