• Dear Guest, Please note that adult content is not permitted on this forum. We have had our Google ads disabled at times due to some posts that were found from some time ago. Please do not post adult content and if you see any already on the forum, please report the post so that we can deal with it. Adult content is allowed in the glory hole - you will have to request permission to access it. Thanks, scara

Our darkest hour

Relegation was just before I started supporting Spurs in 1980. 87 cup final was gutting, but so was semi final league cup loss to **** that same year. Campbell to L'**** was pretty awful. But #lasagnegate for me was the absolute low point. Everything from the excitement leading up to the game, the confusion on the day, the sight of the PL officials at Highbury and the sneering hammers fans (made the 4-3 at upton park in 2007 particularly sweet). It set us back as well as we were unable to prevent Carrick going to Utd after. It took me weeks to even read about football again.

I must be one of the only ones who wasn't that affected by Lasagnegate. I never expected us to get top 4 that season even after we got a point at the Library. Even though we were totally screwed over, I kind of thought it was inevitable we would miss out anyway and even if we did get 4th, I had a feeling Scum would beat Barca and make it redundant anyway. Amazing how it's nearly happened to us TWICE in 6 years.

Munich was far worse for me. Took me months to get over it. Still not really over it now tbh.

Sol Campbell's departure. Not many things leave me with a strange sense of emptiness and futility for twelve ****ing years. Campbell's departure did. That moment encapsulated the horror show that spurs fans were dealing with from roughly 1995 to 2005. And I will never get over that.

In more grounded terms, though, his departure deprived us of a much needed transfer fee that we could have used to strengthen ourselves (however unlikely that would have been, considering our wonderful buys in the years leading up to that git's departure), and deprived us of the prospect of seeing him and King together at the back. His transfer probably set us back a few years, and worse, allowed our rivals to win a title or two and some cups. So it actively hurt us and strengthened them, surely on of our most calamitous moments.

I wasn't in the country when it happened, and read it about it when I finally got a copy of an English paper a couple of days later. I knew it was inevitable but it still hurt a lot. For me Burkinshaw was an unknown quantity and our stuttering promotion campaign from Division 2 didn't exactly calm my concerns. The signings of Ossie and Villa did though :)

In truth the optimism was born as much out of a sense that as a club we were far too lofty for the Second Division than anything else, and one or two of the players Burkinshaw brought in to help us straight back up - notably the cart-horse that was Ian Story-Moores! - were anything but Spurs players. As you imply we managed to get back up despite, rather than because of them.

It wasn't as if Burkenshaw had any pre-determination to go in for Ossie and Villa either, was it, the opportunity just happened to crop up and he wasn't going to pass it up.

My darkest moment was endured at WHL on 11th May 1971. Need I say more?

Was also at WHL for another harrowing humiliation at the hands of the Woolwich Wanderers, 23 December 1978, the day Liam Brady came over to the Shelf and taunted us after scoring a wonder goal in the 0-5 reverse. Hard to credit that both Ossie and Glenn played that day.

07-May-77 . Stood on the terraces at Maine Rd having seen us battered 5-0 by City, thus conforming our relegation from the top flight.

Totally this. Yes, we've had some sh#t days, but this hurt. I was there too, in amongst the City fans in the Kippax.

I think we all knew relegation was coming, but that day was the final nail in the coffin. Just awful

I must be one of the only ones who wasn't that affected by Lasagnegate. I never expected us to get top 4 that season even after we got a point at the Library. Even though we were totally screwed over, I kind of thought it was inevitable we would miss out anyway and even if we did get 4th, I had a feeling Scum would beat Barca and make it redundant anyway. Amazing how it's nearly happened to us TWICE in 6 years.

Munich was far worse for me. Took me months to get over it. Still not really over it now tbh.

I totally agree. We'll never ever know obviously, but zI think we all know they would have gone on to win it.

And in hindsight finishing 5th that year and securing it the way we did a few years later was better than having Arsenal win the CL and using finishing 4th that season, if you catch my drift

In truth the optimism was born as much out of a sense that as a club we were far too lofty for the Second Division than anything else, and one or two of the players Burkinshaw brought in to help us straight back up - notably the cart-horse that was Ian Story-Moores! - were anything but Spurs players. As you imply we managed to get back up despite, rather than because of them.

I think you mean Ian Moores. Ian Storey-Moore was a fairly classy winger with Nottingham Forest. When he signed for ManUre I think he was their record signing.

people saying that the spurs team that lost to 10 men Emirates Marketing Project is our worst team

Tottenham: Keller, Carr, Richards, Gardner, Ziege (Jackson 60), Dalmat, King, Brown, Davies, Postiga (Poyet 9), Keane.
Subs Not Used: Burch, Yeates, Kelly.

Emirates Marketing Project: Arason, Jihai, Dunne, Distin, Tarnat, Wright-Phillips, Barton, Bosvelt (Sibierski 80), Sinclair (McManaman 80), Fowler, Anelka (Macken 27).
Subs Not Used: Stuhr-Ellegaard, Jordan.

Sent Off: Barton (45).

people saying that the spurs team that lost to 10 men Emirates Marketing Project is our worst team

Tottenham: Keller, Carr, Richards, Gardner, Ziege (Jackson 60), Dalmat, King, Brown, Davies, Postiga (Poyet 9), Keane.
Subs Not Used: Burch, Yeates, Kelly.

Emirates Marketing Project: Arason, Jihai, Dunne, Distin, Tarnat, Wright-Phillips, Barton, Bosvelt (Sibierski 80), Sinclair (McManaman 80), Fowler, Anelka (Macken 27).
Subs Not Used: Stuhr-Ellegaard, Jordan.

Sent Off: Barton (45).

Half decent team on paper, a truly awful one on the field I'm afraid.

From that same season, a master class in defending by Gary Dotherty.

[video=youtube;CfvnETn_FSI]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CfvnETn_FSI[/video]

I was at that game and Christ the walk back to the station was so depressing, I was buzzing after Defoe's goal but all the adults knew the reality of just how bad things were. No one even sang 'we want our Tottenham back' because the general feeling was we weren't ever gonna get it back, truly awful days :(

A 1-2 home defeat against Coventry on the final day of the 1996-97 season which meant that Coventry stayed up at the expense of Sunderland. This is a result of which I'm still ashamed of, even after all those years.

Back