• Dear Guest, Please note that adult content is not permitted on this forum. We have had our Google ads disabled at times due to some posts that were found from some time ago. Please do not post adult content and if you see any already on the forum, please report the post so that we can deal with it. Adult content is allowed in the glory hole - you will have to request permission to access it. Thanks, scara

*** OMT - Tottenham vs Wolves ***

@milo Holdburg. He was everywhere again and made some nice passes to create dangerous situations for Wolves. Sonny a bit of a disappointment. Ball kept bouncing off him and he could have done better with that ball from Kane.

I think Wolves flattered to deceive in the first half. They really didn't do much with their possession and 12 shots on target, which amounted to a measly 0.39 xG. In the second half the gulf in class really showed and I think in the end we came out comfortable winners. And I say comfortable, because we were never really under the kosh, even though it might have felt that way. The defenders were always where they were supposed to be and limited Wolves mainly to hopeful shots from outside the box, or blocked everything that Wolves attempted inside the box.

I was also half expecting Lenglet to be subbed in at some point to give us better passing from CB, which is something that I think we missed with Romero being out, but once we scored there didn't appear to be any reason for that sub. Great game management after we went up and never a worry we would come away with all 3 points.

@milo Holdburg. He was everywhere again and made some nice passes to create dangerous situations for Wolves. Sonny a bit of a disappointment. Ball kept bouncing off him and he could have done better with that ball from Kane.

I think Wolves flattered to deceive in the first half. They really didn't do much with their possession and 12 shots on target, which amounted to a measly 0.39 xG. In the second half the gulf in class really showed and I think in the end we came out comfortable winners. And I say comfortable, because we were never really under the kosh, even though it might have felt that way. The defenders were always where they were supposed to be and limited Wolves mainly to hopeful shots from outside the box, or blocked everything that Wolves attempted inside the box.

I was also half expecting Lenglet to be subbed in at some point to give us better passing from CB, which is something that I think we missed with Romero being out, but once we scored there didn't appear to be any reason for that sub. Great game management after we went up and never a worry we would come away with all 3 points.

Yeah, one of those games where xG and shot statistics paint rather different pictures.

Obligatory mention of xG not being a perfect measure of performance or chance creation.

People saying we’ve played poor in the first half of all our games so far, today and Chelsea granted but I don’t think we played that badly against Soton in the first half and thought their goal was basically their first shot on goal. Having said that, would be nice if we would start games better. Always felt we started on fire when Arry was our manager and just went for it from minute 1.

Kane MotM for me. True he was mostly plodding first half but still tested their keeper with a quality header from Perisic's cross just before HT. Then raised his game to another level after the interval. His goal was mainly pretty much all down his to crafty anticipation, the sort that only top strikers can come up with. Also hit woodwork and produced several first-time classy balls and lay-offs to front runners second half.

A game of two halves for Harold today

Loved Perisic today. The kind of quality crossing and passing we need from a WB. I still cringe when I see our other WBs on the ball compared to him. Perisic is so smooth, has that technique that can create something out of nothing.

Difference is he started life as a winger. None of our other wingbacks did. You can see the gap in attacking quality.

I think Perisic’s defensive deficiencies are equal to Royal’s attacking ones.

Which could mean a good balance if they are the regulars, bringing back the wonky.

He’s a class act, but Sess was a little hard done by to be dropped.

That was a tough watch.

Second half better but some poor decisions in final 3rd meant it was a nervous last 15. I like Richarlison, we need to sort rwb out and I'd try Bissouma over either of the cms at the mo.

Great to get the 3 points but work to be done.

Complete agree with that

Which could mean a good balance if they are the regulars, bringing back the wonky.

I thought Royal was very poor today. There were several times where he made stupid runs or just stood somewhere which took up Kulu's space. Equally his laboured plodding towards the full back just doesnt make him look like someone who will beat his man and get a good ball in

With the lack of passers in CM, I really think we need more from RWB. Royal is a solid RB, but just don't see that he's right for our formation. Perisic today showed what a proper WB looks like

Our transfer activity at RWB still confuses me. Perhaps the view is that given Doherty is behind on fitness, keep Royal for August to allow Doherty to get fit and then sell or loan Royal in the last week of the window? Then go with Doherty, Moura and Spence?

The point about his lack of defensive quality won't be noticed. People seem to only see the attacking side for the ostensibly defensive players. Royal plays because he's the best defender in Conte's eyes and not awful in terms of build up, again in Conte's eyes. He probably doesn't think what Doherty adds to the attack is worth what we might lose in terms of solidity.

Sent from my XQ-BC72 using Fapatalk

People seem to only see the attacking side for the ostensibly defensive players.

Do you see WBs as ostensibly defensive positions? Interesting comment as I see those positions very differently

I thought Royal was very poor today. There were several times where he made stupid runs or just stood somewhere which took up Kulu's space. Equally his laboured plodding towards the full back just doesnt make him look like someone who will beat his man and get a good ball in

With the lack of passers in CM, I really think we need more from RWB. Royal is a solid RB, but just don't see that he's right for our formation. Perisic today showed what a proper WB looks like

Our transfer activity at RWB still confuses me. Perhaps the view is that given Doherty is behind on fitness, keep Royal for August to allow Doherty to get fit and then sell or loan Royal in the last week of the window? Then go with Doherty, Moura and Spence?
I think more likely keep Royal, especially for the games we need defensive solidity. Then one of Spence, Moura or Doherty for the games when attacking verve is needed. If Spence were ready I could see Doherty even possibly being moved on.

Defence is equally important, Perisic didn’t cover the same way Royal did.

They have different strengths, but I’d call it even all things considered.

Not conceding goals is more important than scoring them, you only need to score once to win a game, if you concede you need to score twice.

Do you see WBs as ostensibly defensive positions? Interesting comment as I see those positions very differently
I see them as a mix. Not purely attacking or purely defensive. The quality and attributes of the player playing the position often determines the type of role. Reece James as a WB is 100% equally a top quality defender and attacker, likewise Hakimi.

Defence is equally important, Perisic didn’t cover the same way Royal did.

They have different strengths, but I’d call it even all things considered.

Not conceding goals is more important than scoring them, you only need to score once to win a game, if you concede you need to score twice.

Fair enough - I see it very differently

In most games we'll be the better team on paper, and with no creativity from CM in our system, attacking threat form our WBs is essential. Therefore I see it as more important that they're good going forwards vs good defensively

Every position has equal responsibility in both directions.

Again, fair enough as you're entitled to your opinion but I see it VERY differently to that! I cant see how every position has equal responsibility going forwards and defending. Kane for example has more responsibility for attacking vs defending

Our CBs and CMs have more responsibility to hold our shape and therefore make us solid defensively.

Our attackers and WBs are more important offensively

Back