• Dear Guest, Please note that adult content is not permitted on this forum. We have had our Google ads disabled at times due to some posts that were found from some time ago. Please do not post adult content and if you see any already on the forum, please report the post so that we can deal with it. Adult content is allowed in the glory hole - you will have to request permission to access it. Thanks, scara

OMT Tottenham v Olympiacos

Man of the match

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
Those were my thoughts after the West Ham game. People talk about him rebuilding Dele or Dier. This is the guy who can really fill a gap if Mourinho can get the best out of him. He certainly plays with gusto.
His starting position is so much higher, his MO is jsit to try and get on an early cross which lessens the chance is of him overthinking possession. Probably the only player who had a decent first half

What was different today under Mourinho? Less than the previous game!

We started so poorly. Trying to get the ball forward quickly - something Mourinho is clearly asking for - but didn't get any possession in the opening minutes. We reverted to type, and couldn't get a foothold.

As we all knew, Mourinho wouldn't worry about bruising egos, to make quick subs. He also bought Sissoko on when things were looking too open.

What did we learn? Mourinho doesn't have a magic wand. The issues Poch faced Mourinho still has to address. Key for me is getting out midfield right. We have a number of decent, but not standout CMs; and question marks over 2 new talented young players who are settling. Can they play in a deeper role?

I know everyone bangs on about FBs but imo the CM positions are our Achilles heel.

Totally agree there's a Wanyama dembele sized hole in our side.

We started so poorly. Trying to get the ball forward quickly - something Mourinho is clearly asking for - but didn't get any possession in the opening minutes. We reverted to type, and couldn't get a foothold.

As we all knew, Mourinho wouldn't worry about bruising egos, to make quick subs. He also bought Sissoko on when things were looking too open.

What did we learn? Mourinho doesn't have a magic wand. The issues Poch faced Mourinho still has to address. Key for me is getting out midfield right. We have a number of decent, but not standout CMs; and question marks over 2 new talented young players who are settling. Can they play in a deeper role?

I know everyone bangs on about FBs but imo the CM positions are our Achilles heel.
I agree on CM, I’m not sure Lo Celso is what we need in there, the front four options are good and ndombele looks class, we just need someone disciplined and strong in the tackle to partner him.

Vertonghen in the lb tucking in role would help too, Rose is struggling enough as it is let alone playing him in that way.

I agree on CM, I’m not sure Lo Celso is what we need in there, the front four options are good and ndombele looks class, we just need someone disciplined and strong in the tackle to partner him.

Vertonghen in the lb tucking in role would help too, Rose is struggling enough as it is let alone playing him in that way.
Was thinking the very same during the game.

Another perfect win. Mostly different problems highlighted, undeniable, ready to be worked on. At the same time some real positives on show. Mourinho got to show his tactical know-how first hand to the players. I think his changes impacted the game in a positive fashion, turning the game like that, perhaps on part because of those changes, will further strengthen belief and confidence in Mourinho among the players.

Our confidence is still fragile I think, but we're starting to rebuild, get some momentum as well.

Brave to bring on Eriksen, could have backfired immensely and he had other options. Trusted his decision and went for it. Thought Eriksen started poorly, but grew into the game first half and then improved on that again in the second.

Another perfect win. Mostly different problems highlighted, undeniable, ready to be worked on. At the same time some real positives on show. Mourinho got to show his tactical know-how first hand to the players. I think his changes impacted the game in a positive fashion, turning the game like that, perhaps on part because of those changes, will further strengthen belief and confidence in Mourinho among the players.

Our confidence is still fragile I think, but we're starting to rebuild, get some momentum as well.

Brave to bring on Eriksen, could have backfired immensely and he had other options. Trusted his decision and went for it. Thought Eriksen started poorly, but grew into the game first half and then improved on that again in the second.
The one similar problem that was highlighted is that we are still not solid enough without the ball. I do think we need a new defensive midfielder and centre half.

Interesting that Winks and Dier were getting outplayed by the 3 opponents... normally we might expect the #10 to drop back and help but Alli was playing very far forwards.
In fact it was often Dele and Kane up front, with Son and Moura working back.

Hats off to Aurier, he did well and did not do anything insane... so once again I am tempted to think he is the solution... so I guess that means some insanity versus our next opponents!

To be fair Mourinho’s only had a few sessions.
He’s added a pace element to the team and is asking players to move the ball quicker. Need to work on the quality of those passes and get Son on message he can’t always beat three men and stick it in the top corner.
Aurier is starting higher and looking to get crosses in.
No messing around with goal kicks or risky deep possession. Left back playing more like a LCB out of possession.
Think the next steps are to get the marking sorted, few times players were going for the same man and we also seem susceptible to fall for dummies.

Personnel wise it has to be Ndombele and another and jan at LCB / lb - Lo Celso could be competition for Alli and Sessegnon for son or mourA. Erisken was better tonight but still not good enough to start and if he’s going to need a dozen games to get his mojo back I’m not sure why we’d bother

Random positional observation:

Jose doesn’t seem to see Sissoko as a central midfielder. That’s twice now he’s come on on the right side for Moura.

Jose’s already said he wants 2 in central midfield - 1 positionally sound and 1 passer. Strikes me that unlike Poch, Jose has clearly seen Sissoko is neither of those!

If Sissoko is going to be a wide right ‘battering ram’ option though, I’ll be interested to see how Jose manages the elephant in the room there.... end product!!!

Back