• Dear Guest, Please note that adult content is not permitted on this forum. We have had our Google ads disabled at times due to some posts that were found from some time ago. Please do not post adult content and if you see any already on the forum, please report the post so that we can deal with it. Adult content is allowed in the glory hole - you will have to request permission to access it. Thanks, scara

*** OMT Tottenham v Aston Villa ***

P510_zpsd02380d9.png

Tottenham Hotspur Manager's Records & Statistics 1898-2014

All great but you do understand factors when you quote stats don't you?

Examples:

How many games played
The opposition and their form
The players available/unavailable
How settled players are (new, etc)
Injuries
Luck!

So many factors that their is no way to predict a game and as such - have a conclusion from stats.

Even with trophy wins you cannot judge a manager.

If one manager is 100% and the other 0% after a season then you can judge a manager!

Thanks Stato. It shows a clear trend of improvement. If, and its a big if, the next Manager can maintain that trend and improve on TS' record, then we should take the next step. To get to 70% what does the next Manager (or TS if he stays) have to do?

What win percentages do the top 4 have over the last 5 seasons? Do you have to beat the top 4 clubs - arrse didn't too often this year. Much appreciate your stats. To Stato's credit he does not make statements saying x figure proves this or that. He just presents the data for all of you to argue over ;)

While our away form is comparable to the other top teams:

Points_Table_Away_38.jpg

Our home form needs a bit of work:

Points_Table_Home_38.jpg

Tottenham_Points_Distribution_Table.jpg

All great but you do understand factors when you quote stats don't you?

Examples:

How many games played
The opposition and their form
The players available/unavailable
How settled players are (new, etc)
Injuries
Luck!

So many factors that their is no way to predict a game and as such - have a conclusion from stats.

Even with trophy wins you cannot judge a manager.

If one manager is 100% and the other 0% after a season then you can judge a manager!

But it is funny how earlier this season when the stats were pulled in favour of AVB i was the only one who was making points about context. There was nothing then from Scara, Jordinho or yourself. That tells me that the context is mostly whether you like or dislike the manager. Tbh I am not a huge fan of stats but credit to Sherwood he has done a fine job of steadying the ship but he has shown tactical naïveté at crucial times. Most recently vs West ham. IMO we need a more experienced, tactically astute manager get us into the champs league.

But it is funny how earlier this season when the stats were pulled in favour of AVB i was the only one who was making points about context. There was nothing then from Scara, Jordinho or yourself. That tells me that the context is mostly whether you like or dislike the manager. Tbh I am not a huge fan of stats but credit to Sherwood he has done a fine job of steadying the ship but he has shown tactical naïveté at crucial times. Most recently vs West ham. IMO we need a more experienced, tactically astute manager get us into the champs league.

What stats and what context?

??? :lol:

Have I become a part of the pro-AVB team now? Yay for me!

The only reason I've piped up about Statto's err stats is because he has used them recently to back up Tim's performances (quite aggressively too as excel would allow).

Nah mate - you've fished and missed, I liked AVB - I hoped that he could build a culture at the club (karma chameleon) but I wasn't defending him when he was sacked. That's why I want an experienced manager now rather than a new project (be it right or wrong).

Can,t remember the thread but I do remember a protracted discussion with Jordinho about the context of AVB's stats. Tbf the stats were pulled by thfc61 in defence of AVB .

I think the AVB thread is somewhere in classics - I'd be interested to take it up again (most probably wouldn't though so a new thread/PM would probably be a better place ).

??? :lol:

Have I become a part of the pro-AVB team now? Yay for me!

The only reason I've piped up about Statto's err stats is because he has used them recently to back up Tim's performances (quite aggressively too as excel would allow).

Nah mate - you've fished and missed, I liked AVB - I hoped that he could build a culture at the club (karma chameleon) but I wasn't defending him when he was sacked. That's why I want an experienced manager now rather than a new project (be it right or wrong).

Statto has always been loyal to the sitting manager . I have never seen him criticise one. He pulled the same stats earlier this season to defend AVB and none of the posters now demanding context said anything then. I agree I think Tim's times up but I happen to think he has done a good job of keeping the ship steady considering he came in mid season.

Btw I completely agree context is everything, it does not matter a jot about stats when you make mistakes in crucial games as Tim has this season. I just want to see consistency when criticising the bloke.

Just to illustrate the problem of sample size:

If one win in that had been a draw Sherwood's record would be 60.6% (40 out of 66). Of course changing draws or losses to wins would have a similar effect in the other direction.

My point here is not that Sherwood's results have been poor, but rather than anyone basing an argument on stats with this kind of sample size should be very careful about making conclusions based on those stats. The sample size is just too small.

Just to illustrate the problem of sample size:

If one win in that had been a draw Sherwood's record would be 60.6% (40 out of 66). Of course changing draws or losses to wins would have a similar effect in the other direction.

My point here is not that Sherwood's results have been poor, but rather than anyone basing an argument on stats with this kind of sample size should be very careful about making conclusions based on those stats. The sample size is just too small.

It's funny how many people want to dismiss Sherwood's Premier League record because the sample size is too small (the fact that he has a far better record than any other Spurs manager's first 22 games is conveniently ignored), yet are unwilling to give the chap an opportunity to increase the number of matches by having him take charge next season.

Last edited:
It's funny how many people want to dismiss Sherwood's Premier League record because the sample size is too small (the fact that he has a far better record than any other Spurs manager's first 22 games is conveniently ignored), yet are unwilling to give the chap an opportunity to increase the number of matches by having him take charge next season.

Ignored? Or rather just a realization that for those other managers that's also a very small sample size so the value of such a comparison is limited?

He got the job in exceptional circumstances. Had AVB been kept in charge until now and then sacked I don't think there's any chance Sherwood would have gotten the job. It wasn't strictly speaking a caretaker job, but it was something in between a caretaker and a normal manager.

For him to keep his job after getting it in those circumstances he had to perform exceptionally well. Quotes from him in January seemed to indicate that he knew that if he didn't get 4th he most likely wouldn't be kept on (http://www1.skysports.com/football/news/11675/9124988/premier-league-tottenham-boss-tim-sherwood-admits-he-needs-top-four-finish)

As Levy said in his end of season letter it's not always all about the results. Sherwood could theoretically have been judged to have done exceptionally well with results similar to what he's gotten. As things stand I don't think that's the case, and I want someone else given the opportunity.

Arguing that he should be given the opportunity to increase the number of matches is an argument based only on the results he's gotten so far - based on a very small sample size. And that's not a convincing argument to me.

Well done to the boys on winning. Admittedly Villa are poo, but we got the win and that's all that matters. Played some decent stuff first half too.

Nice way of ending a dreadful season.

COYS

Back