• Dear Guest, Please note that adult content is not permitted on this forum. We have had our Google ads disabled at times due to some posts that were found from some time ago. Please do not post adult content and if you see any already on the forum, please report the post so that we can deal with it. Adult content is allowed in the glory hole - you will have to request permission to access it. Thanks, scara

***OMT - TOTTENHAM HOTSPUR vs. READING - OMT***

can we just play some football for fecks sake? i'm sooo sick of reading the bickering and rubbish that's being spouted around here at the moment. it's become almost completely intolerable.

Defoe and Lennon should be kept as impact subs imo.

Defoe apparently has scored almost all of his goals for Spurs after the hour mark. Interestingly, for England he has not completed the full 90 minutes once in each of his 50 caps.

Lennon is better against tiring opposition. His injection of pace and width at a crucial time could easily turn games in our favour and maximise his input for Spurs

Defoe and Lennon should be kept as impact subs imo.

Defoe apparently has scored almost all of his goals for Spurs after the hour mark. Interestingly, for England he has not completed the full 90 minutes once in each of his 50 caps.

Lennon is better against tiring opposition. His injection of pace and width at a crucial time could easily turn games in our favour and maximise his input for Spurs

You don't want to see Lennon against Ian Harte? I agree that sometimes Lennon would be more effective coming off the bench, but feel he should start most games and certainly when he will be up against a slow 34 year old.

You don't want to see Lennon against Ian Harte? I agree that sometimes Lennon would be more effective coming off the bench, but feel he should start most games and certainly when he will be up against a slow 34 year old.

I would like to see him play against an ageing 34 yr old. But I would love to see him play against an ageing, tiring 34 year old even more.

I would like to see him play against an ageing 34 yr old. But I would love to see him play against an ageing, tiring 34 year old even more.

But come on, if he's easily got him for pace, surely you'd want him on from the start? According to Whoscored.com Harte is the LB that has been dribbled past the most times this season. To me he seems like Lennons dream opponent. Lennon has had the successful dribbles of our players and his key attribute is his pace. I think he has to start.

But come on, if he's easily got him for pace, surely you'd want him on from the start? According to Whoscored.com Harte is the LB that has been dribbled past the most times this season. To me he seems like Lennons dream opponent. Lennon has had the successful dribbles of our players and his key attribute is his pace. I think he has to start.

If Harte is as bad as you suggest, then this might be the one time to start Lennon. But I would still rather hold him in reserve for a better second half attack.

if everyones fit

...................Lloris

Walker...Gallas....Vertonghen...Ekotto

............Sandro..Dembele

.....Dempsey..Sigurdsson...Bale

.................Adebayor

no time for bedding in new signings, pick our strongest line up and go all out for the win. 3pts a must

Last edited by a moderator:
if everyones fit

.....Dembele..Sigurdsson...Bale

no time for bedding in new signings, pick our strongest line up and go all out for the win. 3pts a must

I just hope Dembele and Dembele can quickly form an understanding in that midfield.

Is it known among our fans that Lennon is statistically the most effective chance creator in the entire Premier League? People go on about how stats don't tell the whole story, but thesedays we are seeing more and more detailed stats, that do give us a much more clear view of how our players are comparing to tohers.

Originally, as far as creativity goes we just had assists. But this was a stat that was reliant on the quality of the finisher. We then started seeing chances created stats, which were much better, but again there was an obvious problem as all the creator had to do was be credited for the pass to the player who had a shot. But now we have clear cut chances created. This is a brilliant stat, as it tells how often our player laid on really good quality scoring opportunities. It's still not perfect but is better than basic human observation. Lennon isn't just the best in the Prem at this, he is miles better than anyone else. He creates a clear goal scoring opportunity on average in 50 mins shorter time than any other wide player in the Prem. The rest of the field are pretty grouped up, but Lennon is way out on his own.

So next time he has 5 chances to put in a good final ball and screws up 3 of them, remember it's far better to have a guy who can get into positions where he can screw things up, as the fact he does it so often, makes him the most effective chance creator in the league! We focus too much on his poor final ball and this clouds ours and it seems pretty much everyone's judgement when it comes to Lennon. He has a reputation for being just a quick winger with a poor final ball, but he should be known as the wide player most likely to create a clear goal scoring opportunity in the league. Lennon is hugely under rate due to basic human psychology and how we view things based on what we are told.

Btw, those stats include set pieces which Lennon doesn't even take, so he's even more impressive. Hopefully this stat will get around and it should change how people view him.

if everyones fit

.....Dempsey..Sigurdsson...Bale

Yep but i'd start Parker if 100% fit and i'd also go with Dawson over gallas for this one.

Is it known among our fans that Lennon is statistically the most effective chance creator in the entire Premier League? People go on about how stats don't tell the whole story, but thesedays we are seeing more and more detailed stats, that do give us a much more clear view of how our players are comparing to tohers.

Originally, as far as creativity goes we just had assists. But this was a stat that was reliant on the quality of the finisher. We then started seeing chances created stats, which were much better, but again there was an obvious problem as all the creator had to do was be credited for the pass to the player who had a shot. But now we have clear cut chances created. This is a brilliant stat, as it tells how often our player laid on really good quality scoring opportunities. It's still not perfect but is better than basic human observation. Lennon isn't just the best in the Prem at this, he is miles better than anyone else. He creates a clear goal scoring opportunity on average in 50 mins shorter time than any other wide player in the Prem. The rest of the field are pretty grouped up, but Lennon is way out on his own.

So next time he has 5 chances to put in a good final ball and screws up 3 of them, remember it's far better to have a guy who can get into positions where he can screw things up, as the fact he does it so often, makes him the most effective chance creator in the league! We focus too much on his poor final ball and this clouds ours and it seems pretty much everyone's judgement when it comes to Lennon. He has a reputation for being just a quick winger with a poor final ball, but he should be known as the wide player most likely to create a clear goal scoring opportunity in the league. Lennon is hugely under rate due to basic human psychology and how we view things based on what we are told.

Btw, those stats include set pieces which Lennon doesn't even take, so he's even more impressive. Hopefully this stat will get around and it should change how people view him.

Interesting - but who compiles these stats? If what you say is true, he would surely be in the England team and be highly sought after by other top teams.

I personally see little evidence of this "clear cut chance creation" (bar a couple at Saudi Sportswashing Machine) and find it hard to believe. If he really created so many clear cut chances, then if they are not translated into goals, does that mean that the strikers (ade, defoe, vdv are worse at finishing from Lennon's set ups than other peoples?).

Sorry that stat just doesnt ring true with me.

Interesting - but who compiles these stats? If what you say is true, he would surely be in the England team and be highly sought after by other top teams.

I personally see little evidence of this "clear cut chance creation" (bar a couple at Saudi Sportswashing Machine) and find it hard to believe. If he really created so many clear cut chances, then if they are not translated into goals, does that mean that the strikers (ade, defoe, vdv are worse at finishing from Lennon's set ups than other peoples?).

Sorry that stat just doesnt ring true with me.

That assumes that people in football aren't effected by what pre conceived ideas anymore than you or I, which they most definitely are. Also, it assumes that a manager is just looking for a wide player who creates chances. There are other areas to a wide players game.

I wouldn't doubt the validity of the stat, as if you look at clear cut chance conversion rates they are extremely high and much higher than general conversion rates. So that alone tells you they are talking about chances that give the striker a very favourable opportunity and not leaving him with work to do.

If you look at the chances he creates in this game you'll see how clear they are.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DxVWSM1G8wg

The fact in most games he needs 4 or 5 attempts to lay on a good chance clearly effect how people even at the top of the game view him. As I said before it's just psychology. If you see a winger play 4 poor final balls, that will have a majorly negative effect on how you view him, even if he managers to lay on 1 great ball. This is a human failing more than anything. No one will think how does creating this one great chance compare with others, they'll more than likely just think about how wasteful he was, even ignoring that Lennon is one of the best, or probably the best, as getting into those opportunities where he can just lay it off far an easy goal scoring chance.

That assumes that people in football aren't effected by what pre conceived ideas anymore than you or I, which they most definitely are. Also, it assumes that a manager is just looking for a wide player who creates chances. There are other areas to a wide players game.

I wouldn't doubt the validity of the stat, as if you look at clear cut chance conversion rates they are extremely high and much higher than general conversion rates. So that alone tells you they are talking about chances that give the striker a very favourable opportunity and not leaving him with work to do.

If you look at the chances he creates in this game you'll see how clear they are.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DxVWSM1G8wg

The fact in most games he needs 4 or 5 attempts to lay on a good chance clearly effect how people even at the top of the game view him. As I said before it's just psychology. If you see a winger play 4 poor final balls, that will have a majorly negative effect on how you view him, even if he managers to lay on 1 great ball. This is a human failing more than anything. No one will think how does creating this one great chance compare with others, they'll more than likely just think about how wasteful he was, even ignoring that Lennon is one of the best, or probably the best, as getting into those opportunities where he can just lay it off far an easy goal scoring chance.

From the video you would assume he is a left winger as most of his best work comes from that side. It most assuredly is not his best position. One game where he looks lively is not particularly convincing to me. Do you really think he is a better creator of chances than Bale? Or Valencia, Nasri, Silva, Nani, Mata etc. To even argue that Lennon creates more clear cut chances than these players stretches the bounds of credulity for me I'm afraid.

PS where did you get this stat from in the first place?

Last edited:
From the video you would assume he is a left winger as most of his best work comes from that side. It most assuredly is not his best position. One game where he looks lively is not particularly convincing to me. Do you really think he is a better creator of chances than Bale? Or Valencia, Nasri, Silva, Nani, Mata etc. To even argue that Lennon creates more clear cut chances than these players stretches the bounds of credulity for me I'm afraid.

I didn't show the video to illustrate Lennons game, but to show the kind of chances he creates when he does. These are very typical Lennon style chances. He doesn't have a great cross. H's at his most effective when getting past a defender and either laying it across the goal for a striker to run onto or back into the strikers path. Hence when he does create a chance they should usually be put away. More often than not he loses control or hits the first man. But when he does actually play in a ball he really puts it on a plate for his team mates.

You say it stretches the bounds of credulity, but I think that is what is wrong way of looking at it. Stats can be massively useful if used correctly and can encourage us to look at the game differently. In this example, wouldn't be better for you to keep this information in mind and look more carefully from now on? Next time Lennon fails to beat the first man and everyone groans, keep this is mind.

The fact is last season Lennon made more clear cut scoring chances than anyone else, including all the players you've mentioned. I posted the video not to show you him having a good game, but simply when he creates a chance, it tends to be a clear cut chance, due to the nature of his game. He's not a great crosser or player of clever through balls etc. He dribbles until he can play a much simpler ball and this is incredibly effective. Even in matches when he's quiet he tends to have one moment when he sets something up that should be finished.

Back