• Dear Guest, Please note that adult content is not permitted on this forum. We have had our Google ads disabled at times due to some posts that were found from some time ago. Please do not post adult content and if you see any already on the forum, please report the post so that we can deal with it. Adult content is allowed in the glory hole - you will have to request permission to access it. Thanks, scara

***OMT: Tottenham Hotspur vs Liverpool***

I thought we played much the same way, tactically, throughout both the first and second halves only we applied ourselves much better in the second - a lot has been said about how we should have gone there and played a counter attacking game, i was of that opinion myself, but ultimately in that second half we took the game to them, dominated and could have come away with a win - not a counter attack in sight...
Pretty much agree. The one difference in the second half was that we got Eriksen a bit deeper and he was able to dictate play a lot more. That made a significant difference I think. But surprising to me that it wasn't Eriksen deeper with Alli further forward in the first hall too. But our overall approach wasn't much different.

The early goal changed things a lot. Liverpool were closing in in Leicester from when they won the league in just going long over the top and taking very little risk in midfield. We couldn't sit back and counter attack.

Dier ponders too much on the ball. He does have a good pass, but he needs to see it early or have the time to take it. Poch moved him further on in the second half with dembele doing the covering and it worked..
Liverpool didn't close Dembele as tightly or with as many players - probably due to his ability to dribble and break through leaving them with gaps.

The change were subtle but had effect. Maybe Liverpool tired and that helped. But pock removed Dier from in front of the back 4 so he could not get robbed and we played a diamond with Alli at the tip to get him more involved, And also give us more bodies centrally. This also allowed Trippier and Davies to be more free. Home many passes did you see go wide to them and they were free.

I didnt think Dier dropped back until Sanches went off some time around the 70th minute? By which time we were already on top.

Agree there may have been some subtle alterations - as would be expected mid game, but in broad terms i felt we set out to dominate in the first half and it was a better execution of that in the second which was the base of our good performance

Very much a game of two halves. We looked a bit lost in the first half and absolutely bossing things in the second. Overall I think a draw is fair enough. Tough I think we edged it slightly by being more dominant in the second than they were in the first.

We have to learn from that first half. But the second half shows how far we've come. Though I'm sure Liverpool will look at their defending and approach in the second half and find many flaws. Or at least some fans will, others will just scream about the ref.

I didnt think Dier dropped back until Sanches went off some time around the 70th minute? By which time we were already on top.

Agree there may have been some subtle alterations - as would be expected mid game, but in broad terms i felt we set out to dominate in the first half and it was a better execution of that in the second which was the base of our good performance

No then he dropped back into a Centre back position. I said Dier move further up, so as not to be the last man before the defence. Dembele did that instead.

annoyed we didn't win in the end but it's feeling like a win with all the Liverpool salt being thrown around.

Shouldn’t have got ourselves in that position in the first place.

Yeah, but things will rarely be perfect.

We showed a shed load of character to come away with something from that.

It’s a big point in terms of keeping us in touch with them in the league.

4 points from Man U at home and Liverpool away is good going.

None of our other midfielders are the ones who take the ball out from defence under a press or play in defence

Dembele does too and never makes this mistake. I’ve never seen Winks do it when playing regularly.

But even if it was only Dier, he needs to be better. This can’t keep happening. It’s a lack of concentration and a lack of comfort moving the ball in tight situations. He needs to be better.

Have to wonder if Klopp gets a punishment from the FA. Went far in his post match comments saying that the ref/assistant was just after attention or something like that. Seems like the kind of thing that gets you some games in the stands.

Dembele does too and never makes this mistake. I’ve never seen Winks do it when playing regularly.

But even if it was only Dier, he needs to be better. This can’t keep happening. It’s a lack of concentration and a lack of comfort moving the ball in tight situations. He needs to be better.
We don't tend to play those players as the deepest DM against the teams that press us high as Dier is the more defensive option.

Dier screwed up terribly but if we keep asking a player (any player) to take the ball out of defence, against a high press and give him few options, it's going to keep happening

Really proud of the team. That second half performance was awesome. Liverpool are no mugs and despite VVD giving us that pen I thought he kept them solid when he was called upon. So to create chances and space like we did I thought was excellent. Liverpool were scared to come at us.

So proud of Kane too. Stepping up 10 mins later and never in doubt. The mark of a top player. And in a similar vein, proud of Dier because he didn’t let a mistake right at the start affect him for the rest of the game. They both have a good mentality but Dier does need to cut out the mistakes.

Back