• Dear Guest, Please note that adult content is not permitted on this forum. We have had our Google ads disabled at times due to some posts that were found from some time ago. Please do not post adult content and if you see any already on the forum, please report the post so that we can deal with it. Adult content is allowed in the glory hole - you will have to request permission to access it. Thanks, scara

****OMT - TOTTENHAM HOTSPUR vs LAZIO**********

I don't fully understand the talk that if players have 2 games a week they will be tired. They are young, strong and fit athletes. By all means change the team slightly just to keep them all mentally alert and realising they have to fight for their place but two games will mean a lot less training so it should almost even itself out.

I am now 52 and played a full game on sunday. It is fair to say that I felt like death yesterday (although the postmatch refuelling of lots of Guinness while watching Spurs and a Chicken Madras didn't help) but have been to tennis this morning and playing five-a-side tonight. Easy.....

When I was in my twenties I played 3 times a week as well as working full time. Can't remember feeling tired.

I don't fully understand the talk that if players have 2 games a week they will be tired. They are young, strong and fit athletes. By all means change the team slightly just to keep them all mentally alert and realising they have to fight for their place but two games will mean a lot less training so it should almost even itself out.

your right, If it was the CL we would expect the players to play both. Why not now?

I am now 52 and played a full game on sunday. It is fair to say that I felt like death yesterday (although the postmatch refuelling of lots of Guinness while watching Spurs and a Chicken Madras didn't help) but have been to tennis this morning and playing five-a-side tonight. Easy.....

When I was in my twenties I played 3 times a week as well as working full time. Can't remember feeling tired.

I agree personally. A professional footballer should be able to play 60+ games a season comfortably without suffering from fatigue. But its injury fatigue that builds up more than tiredness and I don't think travelling helps much either.

If they awarded UEFA Cup and FA Cup winners a place in the Champion's League it would restore the trophies to their former glory. I wish they'd do that, almost as much as I wish they'd ditch the league formats in both competitions and turn them back to Cups with the European Cup only being represented by domestic winners and the Cup holder. But I guess that wouldn't generate as much revenue.....

Times have changed since you were in your twenties mate. I'm sure Socretes could have played 90 minutes every day of the week, the way players used to condition themselves.

The problem nowadays is that they are so tightly wound, it doesn't take too much extra stress to cause an injury. Look how many players have heart problems during their careers nowadays. It's probably intensified in the Premiership as there is so much focus on pace and the speed at which the game is played. I'd gaurentee you that every person on this board, including those that think they are pretty fit, would think they were having a heart attack if they kept pace for 45 minutes on a Premiership pitch. It's why Dempsey and Ade cannot simply be added straight into the game having not trained, they cannot keep pace.

Look at how much Harry asked his starting XI to play last season and look at the level of attrition we suffered. Players might not have been carrying identifiable injuries by May but they were blowing out of their arses most matches. Our supposed lack of training probably didn't help though.

I agree personally. A professional footballer should be able to play 60+ games a season comfortably without suffering from fatigue. But its injury fatigue that builds up more than tiredness and I don't think travelling helps much either.

If they awarded UEFA Cup and FA Cup winners a place in the Champion's League it would restore the trophies to their former glory. I wish they'd do that, almost as much as I wish they'd ditch the league formats in both competitions and turn them back to Cups with the European Cup only being represented by domestic winners and the Cup holder. But I guess that wouldn't generate as much revenue.....

the 60+ games thing is an area i've always floated between - fitness wise they should, but then by playing less you can probably maximise optimal performance.

and of course there is the mental fatigue you mentioned.

totally agree re; giving the UEFA Cup winners and FA Cup winners a CL place - at lease then it is a competition with as many "Champions" as possible, not "Champions of 2nd or 3rd place", which is just crazy.

Does anyone know - is it the federation that decides where their cup winners qualify for? Or is it dictated by UEFA?

Times have changed since you were in your twenties mate. I'm sure Socretes could have played 90 minutes every day of the week, the way players used to condition themselves.

The problem nowadays is that they are so tightly wound, it doesn't take too much extra stress to cause an injury. Look how many players have heart problems during their careers nowadays. It's probably intensified in the Premiership as there is so much focus on pace and the speed at which the game is played. I'd gaurentee you that every person on this board, including those that think they are pretty fit, would think they were having a heart attack if they kept pace for 45 minutes on a Premiership pitch. It's why Dempsey and Ade cannot simply be added straight into the game having not trained, they cannot keep pace.

Look at how much Harry asked his starting XI to play last season and look at the level of attrition we suffered. Players might not have been carrying identifiable injuries by May but they were blowing out of their arses most matches. Our supposed lack of training probably didn't help though.

Not much actually. Someone did a comparison of the top teams and how many of their players played in all competitions compared to ours, and ours had it easy!!

a lot of players play a match with painkillers for little knocks and strains.

sure they don't feel the pain, but they are not on it all the time, and will be given some time off to recuperate. simply rest and heal.

small measures to prevent small injuries from escalating into big ones.

also there is mental fatigue and jet lag from crossing so many time zones.

category_image_update_f1889105a1a7e262_1347975470_9j-4aaqsk.jpeg

Gascoigne was invited by former clubs Tottenham and Lazio to attend Thursday's Europa League match but was unable to accept for personal reasons. Spurs manager Andre Villas-Boas has promised to take the trophy, which he won with Porto, more seriously than his predecessor Harry Redknapp

It's not just about resting players though (but I do think that's important) it's about giving game time to our squad and get them fit.

Tough, tough game, I wouldn't be making a lot of changes. This isn't one for the kids.
Lloris should start and I'd start with Huddlestone, but otherwise unchanged.
This game falls between two of the easiest games we'll play this season, so no problem players playing three games. Did any of our player even break sweat playing Reading? They were one brick side.

How so - please explain?

i agree with him on this one :eek:

a tournament involving 2/3 teams from several of the stronger nations as opposed to 1 team from each only, means there is stiffer competition, imv

Last edited:
Actually I would rather we made CL than win the Europa Cup. However, I still stand by the fact that I truly believe that they are not mutually exclusive

Fair enough, and I agree. I think it is possible to win a cup AND finish top four but I don't think we're as strong this year as in recent seasons and I am extremely worried that Bale will want out at the end of the season if we don't finish top four. So I'd rather throw the kitchen sink at top four than anything else. Also by blooding youngsters and giving squad players a go in the cups it sharpens them in case they need to come into a Premiership team.

Back