• Dear Guest, Please note that adult content is not permitted on this forum. We have had our Google ads disabled at times due to some posts that were found from some time ago. Please do not post adult content and if you see any already on the forum, please report the post so that we can deal with it. Adult content is allowed in the glory hole - you will have to request permission to access it. Thanks, scara

OMT. TOTTENHAM HOTSPUR Vs CHAVSKI

Man of the match

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
I think far too much is being made of the tactical decisions in this match - mainly because it makes a good story IMO.

Individual errors cost us - three of them that resulted directly in two goals.

I don’t think anyone would disagree that individual errors cost us but Chelsea were still much, much better than us in all areas of the pitch, particularly in midfield. It was actually embarrassing how much fitter, sharper and more comfortable on the ball they were than us. They actually have midfielders who look to play forward passes and most importantly can play forward passes. If we had gone in on level terms at HT it would have been robbery.

Wolves controlled the game against us also so it’s not a one off, if we are being truthful, Wolves was a smash and grab. We will never control the midfield against any half decent team with Dier and Sissoko. We need Ndombele alongside a destroyer with a wider range of passing.

I think far too much is being made of the tactical decisions in this match - mainly because it makes a good story IMO.

At no point yesterday did that team look like it knew what it was doing, in attack, defence or transition, and not for the first time under Jose.
That's tactical.

Yeah agreed. We do need to start seeing some pro-activity to Josés game plan soon I feel.
That’s a couple now where we’ve been at best reactive, but in reality, completely passive - and just had our bellies tickled as a result.

I think he is trying to build a foundation, a consistent selection that will gel together and provide a platform for development going forward.

Problem is, its less than ideal, and games like yesterday are going to happen.

That being said, yesterday specifically, I think Jose is culpable more than any for the result.

He obviously didnt anticipate Lampard going 343, and he didnt react quickly enough - and when he did he made the wrong choices (IMO).

I don’t think anyone would disagree that individual errors cost us but Chelsea were still much, much better than us in all areas of the pitch, particularly in midfield. It was actually embarrassing how much fitter, sharper and more comfortable on the ball they were than us. They actually have midfielders who look to play forward passes and most importantly can play forward passes. If we had gone in on level terms at HT it would have been robbery.

Wolves controlled the game against us also so it’s not a one off, if we are being truthful, Wolves was a smash and grab. We will never control the midfield against any half decent team with Dier and Sissoko. We need Ndombele alongside a destroyer with a wider range of passing.

Agree with the logic but wolves wasn’t a smash and grab. They had the same amount of shots as us. They had the ball but did so little with it... kinda like us under Poch

Yesterday Chelsea had the ball but their shots were poor and again Gaza was barely tested

Gazza didn't make a save that I can recall and Kane wasted two chances which you'd normally expect him to convert.

I don't think our issue yesterday was necessarily tactical, there were a lot of bad performances, and more worryingly, some lazy ones, I don't think Kane, Son or Moura worked anywhere near hard enough, the same could be said of Eriksen but I don't expect anything of him now.

This is the short and the long of it, we bottled it.

Agree with the logic but wolves wasn’t a smash and grab. They had the same amount of shots as us. They had the ball but did so little with it... kinda like us under Poch

Yesterday Chelsea had the ball but their shots were poor and again Gaza was barely tested

It was in my opinion. They also had 11 corners to our 2, we scored the winner from our first corner of the game in stoppage time IIRC? Certainly don’t think we deserved to win the game, do you?

There were more than 3 errors involved in the goals.
First a lack of press, causing the long ball, then Aurier misjudging the flight of the ball, conceding the corner.
The the 2 vs 1 on the short corner. Many blame Aurier, but Mourinho said there were specific players that were responsible, and they didn't react, so might not have been Aurier's task.
Then, when William gets the ball again, Sissoko must push out along with Aurier. If he does, he'll block the shot.

So at least 4 errors for the first goal alone.

The second goal is mostly on Dele. Very unnecessary losing the ball by just not being turned on. Then madness from Gazzaniga.
So at least two errors there.

Last edited:
There were more than 3 errors involved in the goals.
First a lack of press, causing the long ball, then Aurier misjudging the flight of the ball, conceding the corner.
The the 2 vs 1 on the short corner. Many blame Aurier, but Mourinho said there were specific players that was responsible, and they didn't react, so might not have been Aurier's task.
Then, when William gets the ball again, Sissoko must push out along with Aurier. If he does, he'll block the shot.

So at least 4 errors for the first goal alone.
The second goal is mostly on Dele. Very unnecessary losing the ball by just not being turned on. Then madness from Gazzaniga.
So at least two errors there.
OK, more than those errors, but they weren't tactical - they were our players failing to do a reasonably simple job each time. Mistakes where they weren't forced into them

How do you explain our systematic lack of attacking effectiveness up until Son’s sending off then?

Speaking for myself it’s nothing to do with a good story - I just think it was crystal clear from a few minutes in that there was a tactical mismatch.

As @Jurgen the German says above - they were sharper, fitter, quicker to the ball. They worked hard and treated it like a derby. Son pussied out of every single tackle and only Sissoko, when he clattered their keeper, made a single derby-worthy challenge.

It was in my opinion. They also had 11 corners to our 2, we scored the winner from our first corner of the game in stoppage time IIRC? Certainly don’t think we deserved to win the game, do you?

Yeah I do
We scored 2 good goals. Not lucky goals or deflections
We have done exactly why wolves did... pass pass and pas with no effect. It’s poor pretty football as it has no end product

Yeah I do
We scored 2 good goals. Not lucky goals or deflections
We have done exactly why wolves did... pass pass and pas with no effect. It’s poor pretty football as it has no end product

We will have to disagree. Just because you score more goals than the other team doesn’t necessarily mean you deserve to win. I don’t think anyone would claim Chelsea deserved to beat Bayern Munich when they won the CL. Yesterday we got the result our performance deserved unlike last week. At least against wolves we hung in there despite being second best but at no point did I think we would win that game.

Very annoyed with this performance and result. With us needing to win to go above Chelsea into 4th place, thought we would do well to get a win at home. Instead we played poorly and fully deserved to lose. The fact we we were playing at home makes it hard to accept. Mourinho has to take large part of the blame as he picked the team and unable to lift us.

Our attack were poor and we didn't look like scoring whole match. Despite that, we still had chances which Kane and Son should have done better with their chances in the first half. Son was also really stupid for getting himself send off after kicking at the Chelsea player. This is Son's third red card this year which makes it difficult to forgive. Son's red card destroyed any chances we had of coming back. Moura didn't have any impact in the match. Even Eriksen didn't help us at all after coming on in the second half. We badly missed Lamela's work rate and creativity in this match.

We lost this match in midfield. Our midfield of Dier and Sissoko got outclassed and outplayed by Chelsea. This match shows we badly need a quality defensive midfielder. I think we should have started with Ndombele but maybe he was not fully fit. Our options in midfield seems to be badly limited now. Wish we still had Dembele. Remember, other teams used to fear playing against Dembele. But no one seems to fear our midfield anymore.

Our defence were poor yet again. We have now conceded 2 or more goals in 6 of the 8 matches since Mourinho become the manager. This match shows yet again that we need to play Alderweireld and Vertonghen together in defence. Whenever the error-prone Sanchez is in defence, we always concede easy goals. We were made worse by the comedy of error by Gazzaniga who conceded the stupid penalty.

This performance shows Mourinho still needs more time to improve us. It is clear this is still Pochettino's team. We are still mentally weak when it comes to playing the big teams. Remember, we were also poor against ManU . Mourinho has now lost to both his former teams since joining us, ManU and Chelsea. This is the sort of games the old Mourinho used to enjoy managing. But now he seems to be more softer. He seems to have lost his old magic touch. Let's hope Mourinho will soon find his old magic to lift our performances and results.

We will have to disagree. Just because you score more goals than the other team doesn’t necessarily mean you deserve to win. I don’t think anyone would claim Chelsea deserved to beat Bayern Munich when they won the CL. Yesterday we got the result our performance deserved unlike last week. At least against wolves we hung in there despite being second best but at no point did I think we would win that game.
That was won on penalties wasn’t it?

I couldn’t see how wolves were gonna score vs us. They looked lost TBH. Play it to the beast and hope he creates something ... simplistic football really

We restricted Wolves to mainly low quality chances. I think that this was probably the plan yesterday but mistakes meant that we were chasing the game and unable to sit deep and compact.

Who is he meant to play it to? A hiding Moura????? Dele was having to drop in leaving Kane isolated and Sonny doubled and tripled. I'd have left him on, hooked Moura, pushed Sissoko up and started the second-half with Ndombele. When will we realize the concept of Eriksen the last 6 seasons is just that right now - a concept.
Why is it that Dier always seems to have a few posters that want to constantly make excuses for him? Eriken was 10 times better than Dier yesterday and that is a Christian Eriksen who is waiting to leave and giving 50% in the meantime. Dier wasn't alone in being terrible yesterday but he was still certainly terrible.

We just seem to be making individual errors that are so costly constantly. That’s all down to between the ears . These players are mentally fragile

We just seem to be making individual errors that are so costly constantly. That’s all down to between the ears . These players are mentally fragile
In that sense they're certainly not Mourinho players. I'm not sure of they can learn or need replacing but I doubt he'll accept much more of that.

Back