• Dear Guest, Please note that adult content is not permitted on this forum. We have had our Google ads disabled at times due to some posts that were found from some time ago. Please do not post adult content and if you see any already on the forum, please report the post so that we can deal with it. Adult content is allowed in the glory hole - you will have to request permission to access it. Thanks, scara

*** OMT Tottenham Hotspur vs Aston Villa ***

I had to stop watching the game and log out after 25 minutes for Mother's Day/family fun so it was great to watch the match with my father and be happily surprised.
It was also fun to then read through this thread knowing the end from the beginning....

Villa have West Ham next week. I think we all know how they'll bounce back.
Losing side over the two matches between Villa and West Ham should have to forfeit wearing those gawdawful claret and blue outfits for next season. Both sides tend to opt for the 'goons in maroon' playing style.

I'd include Burnley in this contest but they're already relegated.

I had to stop watching the game and log out after 25 minutes for Mother's Day/family fun so it was great to watch the match with my father and be happily surprised.
It was also fun to then read through this thread knowing the end from the beginning....

I couldn’t believe how negative it was when I popped on at half time. Away to Villa, a strong team even stronger at home and we dominated the ball and were playing well, just couldn’t create any clear cut chances. Whereas Villa and their game plan looked completely ridiculous from the first kick.

Can’t say I thought it would end 4-0 but we were definitely the better team throughout the 90 mins.

I couldn’t believe how negative it was when I popped on at half time. Away to Villa, a strong team even stronger at home and we dominated the ball and were playing well, just couldn’t create any clear cut chances. Whereas Villa and their game plan looked completely ridiculous from the first kick.

Can’t say I thought it would end 4-0 but we were definitely the better team throughout the 90 mins.

I thought the first half was pretty even personally. We started pretty well without really creating anything. Some people think just having lots of possession is dominating or battering but it’s not IMO. Second half undoubtedly we were far superior so overall we definitely were the better team by virtue of the second half alone. I was surprised they never even laid a glove on us. Yes of course going down to 10 men made it very hard for them, I still expected some sort of fight back from them. Vicario had a quiet afternoon beyond dealing with set pieces which I thought he handled well.

Slight concern once again is we seem incapable of putting together a complete performance for 90 minutes. Second halves today and last week were exceptional. First halves not so much.

56 goals and 23 assists in 3 and 3/4 seasons. Sorry but his numbers are a load better than Werner or Richie for that matter.
That's around a goal every 2.5 games in the peak of his career.

I'd be very disappointed if a player like that was anything other than backup.

I thought the first half was pretty even personally. We started pretty well without really creating anything. Some people think just having lots of possession is dominating or battering but it’s not IMO. Second half undoubtedly we were far superior so overall we definitely were the better team by virtue of the second half alone. I was surprised they never even laid a glove on us. Yes of course going down to 10 men made it very hard for them, I still expected some sort of fight back from them. Vicario had a quiet afternoon beyond dealing with set pieces which I thought he handled well.

Slight concern once again is we seem incapable of putting together a complete performance for 90 minutes. Second halves today and last week were exceptional. First halves not so much.

I don’t think we battered them (you’re quoting the wrong person there) but you can dominate a team without scoring a goal. They had 2 or 3 chances from balls over the top but other than offered nothing and always looked like they’d struggle the longer the game went on like that. So like I said, I was surprised by how negative it was on here.

But you told me this performance and result was never coming so there you go.

I don’t think we battered them (you’re quoting the wrong person there) but you can dominate a team without scoring a goal. They had 2 or 3 chances from balls over the top but other than offered nothing and always looked like they’d struggle the longer the game went on like that. So like I said, I was surprised by how negative it was on here.

But you told me this performance and result was never coming so there you go.

Pretty sure I didn’t say never 🤔? Just not against a wolves team who we’ve often struggled to deal with

• Disagree
Reactions: jrh
Pretty sure I didn’t say never 🤔? Just not against a wolves team who we’ve often struggled to deal with

Oh I see, so instead of this post had I said "Villa are a decent team with a very good coach in my opinion, but it feels like we're ready to burst and really punish a team at some point. I hope this is the game. Going for a big 5-1 win." for this game it would have been more accepted?

Villa made a big mistake of only playing a two man central midfield. That meant that they lost control of the midfield as we outnumbered them and passed around them. So instead of playing through the middle, all they could do was hit long balls which we comfortably swept up through the match without any issue.

I had predicted that we would win comfortably 3-1, but a 4-0 actual score exceeded any actual belief that I had with the score. I just knew that Villa had leaked goals against Forest and Luton so they were there for the taking.

It was hard to identify who was man of the match with several top level performances including Son, Sarr and Porro but that’s just three players whereas any number could have been named and I’m probably doing something a disservice by not including them there but it’s 6am so just off of my memory.

I think now we have almost everyone back, hoping Richarlison will return soon and that VDV injury isn’t anything serious, I think we will finish the season strongly and show just how good we are as a team. I think 4th is absolutely our’s.

Finally…. I have one confession… I was wrong about Johnson. I believed him to be a waste of money, thought that he didn’t work hard enough off the ball, and that in attack he wasn’t good at decision making. I was completely wrong. The fee whilst still a significant outlay was clearly paid for a player that has significant potential, a homegrown player who is already able to deliver high level performances and get goals and assists for us, and who fights for the team and gets stuck in with tackles from the start to the finish. I’m definitely a big supporter of his off his recent performances and think he deserves to regularly start.

Oh and I almost forgot… well done to Werner for scoring again. If he can find his confidence from his two goals, which does appear to be returning, then his time at our club is going to be longer than just a few months. He finished very well yesterday and seems to have connected well with the crowd. He had his critics but it seems like people are on board with him now and he’s another who could get a lot of support at the club. Great to have him as an option.

Very good performance in what could have been a very tricky fixture.

Difficult to judge the game on the whole with the two quick goals and red card changing everything. Think it's right that we did work them fairly hard on the first half, but if we don't get/take those chances early on in the first half it could have been a very different game.

Still feels to me that there's quite a bit more to come from this team if we can fully click into gear. Think we're well capable of creating more in that first half and after the red they were wide open and we definitely could have created more.

Had more control though and in a game like this that's very good to see. But I just think there's even more to come.

Just watched the game, and it went exactly as I hoped. We were dominant again, only this time we put away our chances and didn't let them hit us on the counter.

Thoroughly unimpressed by Villa today. Again, I have to say. Very well organised, but that's it. Looked like their game plan was to slow the game down, bore us forward and hope Watkins could outrun VDV and score. Never seen a home goalie time wasting after ten minutes before, lol.

I'm not sure how representative this performance was of how Villa normally play, but they're far from favourites for fourth place based on today.

But anyways; fudge them, we played very, very well and fully deserved the win. Brilliant performance!
Not disagreeing with you at all.

Emery to me is one of those managers that is very good at adjusting to opponents. He definitely wants his team to play a certain way overall, but adjusts more than many others (and often successfully so).

The first goal obviously opens the game up and you can pretty much see why Villa did what they did. For the first goal they were higher up, not in their shape trying to press us. We played right through them, and then we have the quality to create.

First half we dominated, but didn't create much. Didn't get into the kind of situations we got for the first goal. Imo because Emery and Villa adjusted. I think they were right to, because we're starting to click into gear and (at the risk of sounding arrogant) we're too good if they don't adjust.

More that we were good than Villa being poor. But we need to figure out how to score when teams stay in their low or mid block shape. I think that second half gets much more frustrating for us had they done that.

I think our style of play and movement makes opponents put a lot of effort into their game and this tells the longer the game goes on, I've noticed a few of the teams we play struggle late in games and in their following match. Typically when Villa, Brighton, et al play mid week it's tough for them yet when we did it was "sexy" and getting a player sent of made it easy for us but us having 2 players sent off against Chelsea was just bad discipline.

Just to add one more thing. Really happy to see a red card for that. I don't think that challenge in itself is a red card, had that happened with him trying to get the ball i don't think it's a red. But him doing that obviously without any intention to get the ball should be a red imo. If you want to "take the yellow" to destroy a good attacking opportunity do so, but that shouldn't be an excuse to also make the tackle over the top and get one yellow for a somewhat nasty challenge that also stops a good break.

Also happy with our reaction to it and our overall mentality going into the game. Focus on our football, but stand up for each other if needed.

Tielemans is little more than a journeyman. He'll bounce around one or two more middling PL clubs before he fades into nothing.

I wouldn't have McGinn in any Spurs squad since we were really brick. He's a clogger who pops up with a goal every 10 or 15 games.

Watkins has pace and nothing else. Stats wise, he's an expensive version of Werner with a lot less ability.

Diaby looks like he has talent, I'd like to see what he can do in a proper team. I wouldn't want us to risk paying to find out though.

Villa have some very productive players
YTD Goals / Assists are as follows:

- Watkins 16 /15
- Luiz 9 /5
- Baily 8 / 9
- McGinn 6 / 3
- Diaby 4 / 8

In comparison Spurs are as follows:

- Son 14 / 8
- Richi 10 / 3
- Kulu 6 /3
- Madders 4 /9
- Johnson 4 /7

Therefore, overall they seem to be more productive than us.

Just to add one more thing. Really happy to see a red card for that. I don't think that challenge in itself is a red card, had that happened with him trying to get the ball i don't think it's a red. But him doing that obviously without any intention to get the ball should be a red imo. If you want to "take the yellow" to destroy a good attacking opportunity do so, but that shouldn't be an excuse to also make the tackle over the top and get one yellow for a somewhat nasty challenge that also stops a good break.

Also happy with our reaction to it and our overall mentality going into the game. Focus on our football, but stand up for each other if needed.

Good to see Romero trying to keep everyone calm.

Back