• Dear Guest, Please note that adult content is not permitted on this forum. We have had our Google ads disabled at times due to some posts that were found from some time ago. Please do not post adult content and if you see any already on the forum, please report the post so that we can deal with it. Adult content is allowed in the glory hole - you will have to request permission to access it. Thanks, scara

*** OMT Tottenham Hotspur v Wycombe Wanderers ***

I wonder if CCV and Onomah would not benefit from loans.
I felt Alli was battle hardened due to his experience with MK Dons and Wycombe didn't faze him. CCV and Onomah need the same.
Not just physical hardening but also decision making. CCV for example did not need to make the tackle for the pen, the ball was close to the bye line, he just needed to cover the run. A bit more experience should help with decisions.
Onomah has skill and vision but I feel he is losing confidence, just regular games somewhere might help to re-build this.

2CV and Onomah have looked confortable in Europe already. The rough and tumble of lower league prepares players for nothing other than the rough and tumble of playing lower league teams. Better that they learn how to play against top flight players from our coaching staff and working alongside Alder and Dembele etc.

Wait, you actually read that brick?

Every time.

images

2CV and Onomah have looked confortable in Europe already. The rough and tumble of lower league prepares players for nothing other than the rough and tumble of playing lower league teams. Better that they learn how to play against top flight players from our coaching staff and working alongside Alder and Dembele etc.

How many game has 2CV played for the first team?? 2 and none in Europe

And Onomah doesnt look comfortable in a Spurs shirt full stop

I don't disagree with the context of what your saying but I can agree with your opinion on the players

I have to say though, even though we almost embarassed ourselves yesterday - what a classic of a cup match! And a what a performance by Wycombe. Hats off to them for the effort they put in. One of the reasons why we shouldn't disregard the FA Cup, it spawns classic matches like this still, and somehow just sort of distills football down to exactly why it's so good to watch and play in the first place. You can have a self confident high flying top division team almost crash out of the cup at the hands of a pub team with weekend footballers due to the Goliath of the clash no doubt underestimating the David.

To the FA Cup! A great and proud competition, very nice to get a reminder yesterday just why it is. I hope we learned our lesson yesterday and go on to win it now!

Just watched motd highlights, 3 things
1, CCV was never a pen
2 son seems to miss the easy ones and score the difficult ones
3 the Wycombe manager can give his little brother his jacket back.

Wow. What a game. *What* comebacks (twice) - okay, they were against Wycombe, but it still counts under the lights at the Lane. :)

The fighting spirit finally came into the side once the second half got properly going, and bar Trippier's injury I think we would have won it earlier - there are evidently serious concerns about our back line in the absence of our regulars, and I disliked the aimless way we sent balls forward at times (even late on - one such careless punt forward led to Wycombe's third). Credit to Wycombe for showing up with a coherent plan and executing it well against an exceedingly shaky back line, but we made our own problems today.

Still, we're into the fifth round, which is what counts. Then go into the sixth, then the semi at our future home ground, then the final. That should be our aim, our ambition. To win this trophy, to lift silverware, to achieve the dreams of every fan and the end goal of any sporting outfit - to win, and win well.

To prefer eternally finishing fourth in a 20 team league or 3rd in a 2-horse race over winning a trophy in this manner is something I will thankfully never have to endure - and I can't understand why people would prefer such a thing to the extent of scorning the cup as they did today. A cup which has provided 8 of the happiest occasions in our history, which we built our identity and our mythos around in the golden days of yore - this is what people were scorning and sneering at today throughout the game, going as far as to suggest own goals and deliberate capitulation to go out, under the lights at the Lane in its final season....to Wycombe f*cking Wanderers.

Have a word with yourself.

As you know i agree with your opinion that we should actually try and win something, we can not be called a top team UNTILL we actually start winning trophys. At the game yesterday a lot of fans were saying that some of our players are not good enough and until we uprate our squad we will always struggle in these games, i have noticed there are those on here who are saying ( in some of the players threads) more or less the same thing.

There is nothing wrong with most of our back up players and to say ( like some do that they are not good enough) is foolish at best and ignorant at worst. The problem is not the individual players its the fact that we made 9 changes once again, it no surprise that as a team we fail to have structure, understanding and cohesion. Playing with two three four changes is a lot easier for us ( and understandable on occasions) but once again we struggled with so many in one game.

Not the game I expected. The second string are ok however the quality compared to the first team is vast.

The likes on Onomah,Davies, wimmer, carter Vickers , sissoko and nkoudou really didn't take their chance to make a statement today.

Happy to get through but we got away with it big time today.

Don't think we can risk playing this type of team. We need to try and win the cup because I cant see us winning anything else.

People are singing our praises but without silverware it will mean nothing

As i said in my earlier post i do not think our second string players are that poor, the problem is when you throw 9 of them into the team in one go.

I do agree with your other point about winning silverware, even the players think that is the next step.

Wrong imo. Better that they learn that as they play in England that occasionally you will play a lower league side and you have to adapt your game to compete and don't go out with a complacent attitude because you happen to be playing for a top PL club. Such an elitist and damaging attitude to take. Wycombe were anything but just pure rough and tumble yesterday. And I have no idea where you can suggest Onomah and CCV have looked comfortable in Europe? How many games have those played in Europe for us? I can only remember a couple of occasions for Onomah and one of them was a very poor performance in Dortmund albeit the team was poor too.

It isn't a one size fits all process. For some players, like Winks, a loan isn't beneficial because in his limited game time here we have seen enough to suggest that he can float in and around the matchday squad. For someone like Onomah, he could do with being thrown in at the deep end but not our deep end.

Last edited:
2 son seems to miss the easy ones and score the difficult ones
Son did lots of good little things yesterday, then blazed high, wide and handsome. Ironically his first goal was a cross that deflected wildly in and his second goal was a weak shot that was going 2 yards wide, kicked in by a defender. It just shows that sometimes you don't need to be Pele, you don't need to strike the ball like Hotshot Hamish, you just need to get 3 or 4 players around the 6 yard box and penalty spot and keep punting away and eventually it will go in.

Fair play to Wycombe, I thought they came and performed very well overall and totally deserved at least a replay. Delighted to scrape through into the 5th round where even if we play a 'lesser' side I would like to see the changes limited.

9 changes is too much and badly affects the continuity of the side imo. For me I think 4-5 changes with 3-4 younger options on the bench to come on for the experienced heads once the game is under control is a better bet. In fairness to Poch, the backline we would normally put out is injured bar Walker and you would always play Vorm so that is 4 changes already without the right back.

The old Spurs circus is back ! Thought we would never see the circus score of 4-3, 4-4, 5-4 under Pochettino again. But they are back again ! The last time we beat a team 4-3, it became the turning point in their history as they got inspired so much that they turned from a relegation fighting team to winning the PL the following season ! That team was Leicester ! So, don't be surprised if Wycombe get inspired from this and go on to win the League 2, League 1, Championship and ultimately the PL title in 2020 ! Afterall, we are experts at inspiring all the teams around us !

Really hate these topsy-turvy matches. It only shows how shyte both defences have been. This match proves that our fringe players and youngsters are not good enough. There is no glory in coming from 2-0 down to win 4-3 against a League 2 team at home, even if we played with 10 men for the last 20 minutes. It is really unacceptable to concede 3 goals at home to a League 2 team in the first place. In fact, Wycombe could have scored a few more goals if they had been more clinical.

Credit to Son, Janssen and Alli for the goals. But Son also wasted 2 or 3 easy chances to score earlier. His biggest blunder was failing to score when there was only a defender to beat after a goalie blunder in the first half. If he had scored, it could have improved our performance much earlier. Janssen did well to win and then score the penalty after coming on as the sub. But he really should have started this match. Alli took his goal really well after being set up by Dembele.

Really annoyed with Nkoudou and Sissoko. This was the chance for them to prove their worth but they were both poor. Expected more from Sissoko after his good performances earlier in the season. Instead we needed Alli and Dembele to come on and inspire us. This match proves that our defence is unreliable if we don't have Vertonghen or Alderweireld playing. Wimmer, Carlton-Vickers and Dier are too error-prone. Vorm did well in earlier Cup matches but he was not very convincing this time.

Despite the poor performance, glad we managed to progress to the FA cup Round 5. But we need to play much better if we want to go all the way to win the FA cup this season.
I think it is a tad unrealistic to expect so called fringe players to come into the team after having not played regular competitive matches and perform brilliantly. It was especially difficult because Wycombe wanted to make up the gulf in quality and fitness by kicking and fouling us at every opportunity in the second half.

Very good post from another site and to the point imv.

Watching the match again, just to make certain of the first observations.

This match was less about poor individual player ratings, and much more about players who are simply inexperienced with playing with each other. Carter-Vickers and Wimmer in the middle was a huge ask. Spurs are far less quality without Alderweireld in the middle. It’s asking Vorm, Carter-Vickers, and Wimmer to assign marks and coverage in the stead of Alderweireld and Lloris. Not going to happen.

Carter-Vickers will grow into a solid, solid player for Spurs. He has a good build, he is good in the air, he has an excellent tackle, he has good 1v1 instincts, and he has a good eye for a long threaded pass forward into instant offensive opportunity.

The weak spot was Wimmer. Wimmer gets caught ball-watching both on breakaways, and on free kicks. During what became the first goal from the corner, Wimmer not only marks absolutely no one, he also gets into the back of Carter-Vickers to where Carter-Vickers struggles to get back to the unmarked scorer at all. All of that should have been ironed out before the corner took place.

Eric Dier and Harry Winks were consistently disconnected from the front four. They simply did not coordinate between themselves as to who covers deep, and who offers an outlet and a connection. Both are quality players. They just have no time together. Sissoko had to sacrifice position to drop in for an outlet time after time, which led two inexperienced players and a non-defensive Sonny to take on 4 or 5 players behind the ball.

Speaking of Sissoko, he played fine. His first touch lets him down a lot. However, he constantly lifts his head, and looks for a neat little pass between the seams. Spurs need that. No, he does not currently justify 30 million. However, I am mystified by why Spurs supporters pay a lot of attention to that in the first place. A player will either eventually fit, or he will not. I think Sissoko will.

I agree with several contributors about Onomah. He can play fine with other stronger players around him. However, he really shows no signs yet of being able to grow into an impact player. He is still young. I don’t think he hurts a lineup, but I also don’t think he strengthens one yet.

Nkoudou has some tools. He plays in a completely undisciplined fashion. He has pace, he has some 1v1 ability, and he absolutely hates losing the ball, and is a pain in the opposition’s butt in trying to get it back. A player like this is a project. He does show signs of making an impact, but it will be a while.

Sonny fits in at a more forward position as a backup player. He has no defensive instinct, and that hurts a team as a starter in Midfield. Love his two-footed ability, love his attitude, and absolutely love his putting his teammates first all the time.

Janssen came in and made an impact. His bullish holding ability drew two or three Defenders quite a few times. It gave the other players around him fewer defenders through which to find a hole.

Dele Alli has truly become undroppable. He takes a few breaks mid-game which can be absolutely maddening. However, if that is what he needs to do, then that is what he needs to do. He certainly brings his game the rest of the time, and what an impact game that is.

Love Tripps and Davies. Hard working professionals, no complaints for time, and great team value. Tripps brings fantastic offensive tools, and Davies brings a tremendously useful versatility.

Some of these boys need to be slipped in one at a time with the first team versus lower table PL oppo to get more experience in. Then work then a few at a time as they become good enough. Poch took a huge punt in playing them all at once, and really should not have expected much differently than what he saw first half. That is the way all of them at once will look until they have more time together. Again, that Central defensive alignment was a huge task.

COYS

Back