• Dear Guest, Please note that adult content is not permitted on this forum. We have had our Google ads disabled at times due to some posts that were found from some time ago. Please do not post adult content and if you see any already on the forum, please report the post so that we can deal with it. Adult content is allowed in the glory hole - you will have to request permission to access it. Thanks, scara

****OMT****Tottenham Hotspur v West Ham 8pm Friday 5th May

'Spurs-y' is the most pathetic of phrases tome, a relatively 'new' term which someone apparently tried to force into an urban dictionary a few years ago. It is, as I understand it, designed to be an indication of a side that consistently blows it at the last.
Let me be clear about why I support Tottenham Hotspur mate.

"“The great fallacy is that the game is first and last about winning. It is nothing of the kind. The game is about glory, it is about doing things in style and with a flourish, about going out and beating the other lot, not waiting for them to die of boredom.”

I personally consider everything else a bonus. Now, IF you're telling me that 'Spurs-y' has now come to be a side that flirts with the Premiership title two seasons in a row and falls short in the last few games despite never actually having been top during either campaign (with the latter campaign having been a chair manufactured from nothing) then yes. Fine. 'sexy' if you wish. But I won't be using the term. Never have. Never will. So I suppose in order for your theory to hold weight, we have to accept the word 'Spurs-y'...which I won't mate.

All good. You don't have to proclaim him anything. I can tell you that having witnessed Fergie growing during that time with Utd, and seeing what Poch is doing at our club, I am HAPPY to proclaim him as such. The comparisons are bountiful and start off the pitch with the way the club is run.

You then went on to post all of SAF's achievements as 'proof' that Poch wasn't SAF 'yet'. With the greatest of respects, that was a cheap shot. Of course he isn't 'yet' confirmed as such because he doesn't have the history or years under his belt or trophies yet. But I believe we have the modern equivalent.

Here's a fact for you. Fergie joined Man Utd in Nov 1986 and didn't win his first trophy until may 1990. He quickly turned the culture of the club around, but some details still needed addressing. He can probably thank Mark Robbins for buying him a little time, as without that goal at Forest he was apparently facing the sack. Come to think of it, he can thank Lee Martin too!!! When you take a look at Fergie's first few years at Utd, he did fine work but it still wasn't as spectacular as what Poch has done with us in the same time frame.
Let's see what Poch can achieve next season...but I stick fairly behind my belief that he is our Fergie.

http://www.goal.com/en-gb/news/2896...it-really-take-ferguson-three-years-to-get-it

I don't think it can be applied to this season, maybe it can be applied to finishing 3rd instead of 2nd but we were always chasing Leicester so we didn't bottle the title.

We have positioned ourselves to be one of the biggest and best clubs in the country in the last 10 years or so, but I think the term comes from our tendency to get so close but fall at the last or second to last hurdle e.g. 7 FA Cup semi final defeats in a row. I honestly can't think of another club who gets so close on so many occasions but doesn't quite do enough to get over the line.

Don't get me wrong, I'd still take the above scenario every fudging day over a tinpot club like West Ham who never challenge or amount to anything. We still win a trophy every decade on average and compete in Europe's elite cup competition and play against the best teams in the world whilst West Ham have to claim a World Cup victory as their own because they never actually win anything themselves.

I just take the term spurs-y on the chin.

As for Pochettino becoming our Fergie and leading us to sustained success, we have the players, almost. We just need to get rid of 3-4 players and replace them with genuine quality and perhaps add a bona fide superstar. When it comes to mentality or whatever you want to call it, I don't think we quite have what it takes. For me, we have to actually get to the top of the league, we've had chances to go top in the last two seasons but we've drawn or lost on every occasion. I think there's some kind of mental block there. We need to overcome that before we can call ourselves genuine title contenders IMO.

Last edited:
Really don't think we can be accused of bottling it in either of the last 2 seasons as we were the chasing club in each season. More of an issue though is the slow start made in each of the last 2 seasons. I know that this year it as been put down to the post Euro effect and the Kane and Toby injuries but our delay in signing players until the last few days of the transfer window, i.e. NKD and Sissoko this year will not have helped, particularly as this year neither have been fully integrated into the team. Perhaps next season Poch can be helped by signing players earlier so that they can take part in the pre-season

Really don't think we can be accused of bottling it in either of the last 2 seasons as we were the chasing club in each season. More of an issue though is the slow start made in each of the last 2 seasons. I know that this year it as been put down to the post Euro effect and the Kane and Toby injuries but our delay in signing players until the last few days of the transfer window, i.e. NKD and Sissoko this year will not have helped, particularly as this year neither have been fully integrated into the team. Perhaps next season Poch can be helped by signing players earlier so that they can take part in the pre-season

Nowt to do with signings and the media have got it wrong (Again)

DWDWWWWDDDDWL

Started well, Champions League kicked in and we drew quite a few games when we were playing twice in a week.
In Oct 15th - Nov 26th we played 10 games.

2 at WHL
1 at Wembley
7 Away from Home at Monaco, Liverpool, West Ham, Arsenal, Leverkusen, Bournemouth and at the end of that Chelsea

If we had beaten Chelsea and didnt fade in second half (Wonder why) and turned one other draw into a win currently we would be 4pts clear and chelsea have a game in hand.

Tiny Margin, slightly weak squad with a horrible run of fixtures

Hmm, but is Dier an automatic 1st choice to start in both formations for when everyone is fit?

Interesting question to ponder. His tactical versatility is what allows us to seamlessly switch from three to four at the back without issues mid-game, and that's extremely valuable by any standards. However, Wanyama can play at the back too (he did against City), and has been preferred over Dier in that central DM slot within the 4-2-3-1. Wonder where Dier's long-term future lies, given those circumstances.

Interesting question to ponder. His tactical versatility is what allows us to seamlessly switch from three to four at the back without issues mid-game, and that's extremely valuable by any standards. However, Wanyama can play at the back too (he did against City), and has been preferred over Dier in that central DM slot within the 4-2-3-1. Wonder where Dier's long-term future lies, given those circumstances.
I prefer Dier to Wanyama. Dire is the better passer.
However, for a DM, I feel Wanyama is weaker in defensive instinct, ie smelling trouble and nipping it in the bud, as well as physically tracking someone going towards our goal.

I prefer Dier to Wanyama. Dire is the better passer.
However, for a DM, I feel Wanyama is weaker in defensive instinct, ie smelling trouble and nipping it in the bud, as well as physically tracking someone going towards our goal.

Agreed - Dier is definitely the better passer. As for Wanyama, do you mean he's weaker than Dier, or did you mean he was stronger (but mixed up the words)? Personally, I think Wanyama's the better 'proactive' DM - he's first out to clatter into an onrushing opponent with those tree-trunk legs of his, usually coming out with the ball at the other end.

Hmm, but is Dier an automatic 1st choice to start in both formations for when everyone is fit?

I like the idea of Rose being captain. Alli is a hothead, Vertonghen rolls around too much for me to be a captain, Kane is similar to Ledley.
I suspect it will actually be Kane. He has the drive, he has the passion and he has the leadership to order players around on the pitch.

He also has the right image, says the right things to the media and his scoring record commands the highest respect all round.

My only slight worry is he is a little too gentlemanly.

Back