• Dear Guest, Please note that adult content is not permitted on this forum. We have had our Google ads disabled at times due to some posts that were found from some time ago. Please do not post adult content and if you see any already on the forum, please report the post so that we can deal with it. Adult content is allowed in the glory hole - you will have to request permission to access it. Thanks, scara

****OMT****Tottenham Hotspur v West Ham 8pm Friday 5th May

That's my issue

Their the people who didn't perform
I think they did perform, but to the level they are capable of.
Imho if we had had rose and lamela for we would be closer to Chelsea.
Technically there's little wrong with our team but we do lack that will to win at all costs in certain areas.
Harry has it but was isolated in Friday, not just football wise but in terms of leadership.
Dele has it but doesn't know how to channel it yet.
It's what I always hoped bentaleb would eventually bring to us. Hoping now it will be dier.
We need someone to pull us altogether on the park, direct us and lead by example.
Every one if our poor performances have come when teams have broken up our teams inter play by reducing space we play into.

Technically there's little wrong with our team but we do lack that will to win at all costs in certain areas.
Harry has it but was isolated in Friday, not just football wise but in terms of leadership.
It's what I always hoped bentaleb would eventually bring to us. Hoping now it will be dier.
We need someone to pull us altogether on the park, direct us and lead by example.
Every one if our poor performances have come when teams have broken up our teams inter play by reducing space we play into.

Sorry I meant my issue is if players leave because we haven't achieved things yet their the ones who have the tools to achieve them

I'd accept it if they were crap players but their not and Poch will tell them that

I've said it before, but I still wonder about Hugo as captain. I'm not sure he is the sort of ultra-confident character (a la Keane, Terry or Adams) who can transmit calm at the really pivotal moments. And his ability to really grab hold of a game and influence it is limited by his playing position.

For me, the one thing we were missing at 2-2 in the semi-final, or at 0-0 on Friday night, was a figure right in the middle of the park really forcing the team to force the issue. Maybe Dier will become that - I hope so because that type of player is not easy to go out and buy. I'm struggling to think of one in our price bracket - but then I don't watch a lot of European football. Is there anyone out there who might do the job?

I've said it before, but I still wonder about Hugo as captain. I'm not sure he is the sort of ultra-confident character (a la Keane, Terry or Adams) who can transmit calm at the really pivotal moments. And his ability to really grab hold of a game and influence it is limited by his playing position.

For me, the one thing we were missing at 2-2 in the semi-final, or at 0-0 on Friday night, was a figure right in the middle of the park really forcing the team to force the issue. Maybe Dier will become that - I hope so because that type of player is not easy to go out and buy. I'm struggling to think of one in our price bracket - but then I don't watch a lot of European football. Is there anyone out there who might do the job?

You don't have to wear an armband to do those things.

Tend to agree about the captaincy and i have never been a fan of keepers being captain, for me they are to far away from most of the play and have little influence on it. From memory over the years most great captains have been in M/F or defenders and i still think we miss that.

Love Hugo but totally agree, make him club captain but pass the armband on the field to someone else.
Danny or dier would get my vote.

Agreed. Lloris is a very good keeper*

But he seems like quite a quiet chap. Reserved, thoughtful, nice.

Not a warrior to take a team into battle and fight to win.

Agreed. Lloris is a very good keeper*

But he seems like quite a quiet chap. Reserved, thoughtful, nice.

Not a warrior to take a team into battle and fight to win.

Exactly. Many have said it, but for me Eric Dier is the perfect choice for captain.

'Spurs-y' is the most pathetic of phrases tome, a relatively 'new' term which someone apparently tried to force into an urban dictionary a few years ago. It is, as I understand it, designed to be an indication of a side that consistently blows it at the last.
Let me be clear about why I support Tottenham Hotspur mate.

"“The great fallacy is that the game is first and last about winning. It is nothing of the kind. The game is about glory, it is about doing things in style and with a flourish, about going out and beating the other lot, not waiting for them to die of boredom.”

I personally consider everything else a bonus. Now, IF you're telling me that 'Spurs-y' has now come to be a side that flirts with the Premiership title two seasons in a row and falls short in the last few games despite never actually having been top during either campaign (with the latter campaign having been a chair manufactured from nothing) then yes. Fine. 'sexy' if you wish. But I won't be using the term. Never have. Never will. So I suppose in order for your theory to hold weight, we have to accept the word 'Spurs-y'...which I won't mate.

That quote is magnificent - a cornerstone of what we are. Yet, it is a two-parter, mate - yes, winning by any means isn't what we are about, but we're still meant to be going out and beating whomever we come up against. We haven't done that for 56 years now, at least to the extent that we can claim another title out of it.

Your reasons for supporting the club are beautifully unique to you - a fact true of every single man and woman on here, and across football more broadly. Yet I suspect the romantic notion of what we are drew you in very similarly to how it drew me in as a wide-eyed child. However, when looking back at the long sweep of our history, we have simply not won anywhere near the number of league titles that the teams around us have - and that is despite our advantages in terms of location (general state of Haringey aside, it's always been in London), aesthetic (we're not Leeds, and will never be, which undoubtedly draws players of a higher calibre than would have consented to play for, say, Don Revie), historical stature (we've always been considered one of the bigger clubs in England), finances and so on.

This is a fact. However much we might like to dress it up, it's a fact. So the question becomes, why is that the case? Why have we only won two titles in our 135-year history? We've proven a fearsome, vibrant, memorably romantic cup side, but why haven't we been able to translate that into league form at least once over more than half a century?

You might not believe in 'Spurs-y' in any way, shape or form. That's entirely your prerogative, mate. But if you don't, I'd love to discuss other explanations for why that historical record above is the case.

As for 'Spurs-y' being applicable to our performances over the last two seasons, not at all. Well, maybe the tail end of last season, but not *at all* this season. But that's my point, which (with all due respect, which is a *lot*) you've sort of dodged past - a couple of seasons being distinct title-chasers, unwilling to capitulate and always willing to fight and do what it takes to win don't invalidate 54 years of the opposite being the case. Especially when that hasn't been accompanied by trophies, either - which previous Spurs sides have secured without replicating the form we're showing in the league now. Surely that's not arguable?

All good. You don't have to proclaim him anything. I can tell you that having witnessed Fergie growing during that time with Utd, and seeing what Poch is doing at our club, I am HAPPY to proclaim him as such. The comparisons are bountiful and start off the pitch with the way the club is run.

You then went on to post all of SAF's achievements as 'proof' that Poch wasn't SAF 'yet'. With the greatest of respects, that was a cheap shot. Of course he isn't 'yet' confirmed as such because he doesn't have the history or years under his belt or trophies yet. But I believe we have the modern equivalent.

Here's a fact for you. Fergie joined Man Utd in Nov 1986 and didn't win his first trophy until may 1990. He quickly turned the culture of the club around, but some details still needed addressing. He can probably thank Mark Robbins for buying him a little time, as without that goal at Forest he was apparently facing the sack. Come to think of it, he can thank Lee Martin too!!! When you take a look at Fergie's first few years at Utd, he did fine work but it still wasn't as spectacular as what Poch has done with us in the same time frame.
Let's see what Poch can achieve next season...but I stick fairly behind my belief that he is our Fergie.

http://www.goal.com/en-gb/news/2896...it-really-take-ferguson-three-years-to-get-it

Sure, you can make the argument that Fergie and Poch have similar career trajectories in terms of United and Spurs respectively - no arguing that, or arguing the fact that Poch has brought things to our club that haven't been present in a long, long time. You could also argue that, based on that point, Poch is already our SAF - but *that's* where I disagree. When I say 'our SAF', I don't mean 'our SAF from 1986-1990', I mean 'our SAF from 1986-2013' - imv, only someone of similar longevity, with a similar trophy-winning run and legendary status at our club can undo our historical tendency to be quintessentially human - up and down, strong and weak, triumphant and vulnerable at the same time. Changing our history is fighting 135 years of a certain narrative - a daunting task which needs lots and lots of time.

Which is why I said Poch isn't our SAF yet - because he isn't. That needs time - a lot of it, and success to go with it. Where I differ from people more critical of Poch is that I feel he's earned that time - he is our *best* manager in Premier League history, and that's reason enough to hold on to him tightly, if nothing else. But I also differ from fellow fans who argue that he's already changed our club's nature forever off the back of one good and one great season and a whole lot of off-the-pitch work.

Let me put it this way - if, GHod forbid, Poch left tomorrow, would we be similarly resilient and viewed as a generally trophy-winning, title-challenging club for the next couple of decades? If not, then his impact hasn't been nearly permanent enough to merit calling him 'our SAF' - which, again, is a very big comparison. Huge.

(Also, I liked your post because I appreciated your though-out response, mate - I much prefer that over shouting random words in all-caps, and I have to say that it doesn't behoove you to do so.)

That quote is magnificent - a cornerstone of what we are. Yet, it is a two-parter, mate - yes, winning by any means isn't what we are about, but we're still meant to be going out and beating whomever we come up against. We haven't done that for 56 years now, at least to the extent that we can claim another title out of it.

Your reasons for supporting the club are beautifully unique to you - a fact true of every single man and woman on here, and across football more broadly. Yet I suspect the romantic notion of what we are drew you in very similarly to how it drew me in as a wide-eyed child. However, when looking back at the long sweep of our history, we have simply not won anywhere near the number of league titles that the teams around us have - and that is despite our advantages in terms of location (general state of Haringey aside, it's always been in London), aesthetic (we're not Leeds, and will never be, which undoubtedly draws players of a higher calibre than would have consented to play for, say, Don Revie), historical stature (we've always been considered one of the bigger clubs in England), finances and so on.

This is a fact. However much we might like to dress it up, it's a fact. So the question becomes, why is that the case? Why have we only won two titles in our 135-year history? We've proven a fearsome, vibrant, memorably romantic cup side, but why haven't we been able to translate that into league form at least once over more than half a century?

You might not believe in 'Spurs-y' in any way, shape or form. That's entirely your prerogative, mate. But if you don't, I'd love to discuss other explanations for why that historical record above is the case.

As for 'Spurs-y' being applicable to our performances over the last two seasons, not at all. Well, maybe the tail end of last season, but not *at all* this season. But that's my point, which (with all due respect, which is a *lot*) you've sort of dodged past - a couple of seasons being distinct title-chasers, unwilling to capitulate and always willing to fight and do what it takes to win don't invalidate 54 years of the opposite being the case. Especially when that hasn't been accompanied by trophies, either - which previous Spurs sides have secured without replicating the form we're showing in the league now. Surely that's not arguable?

Sure, you can make the argument that Fergie and Poch have similar career trajectories in terms of United and Spurs respectively - no arguing that, or arguing the fact that Poch has brought things to our club that haven't been present in a long, long time. You could also argue that, based on that point, Poch is already our SAF - but *that's* where I disagree. When I say 'our SAF', I don't mean 'our SAF from 1986-1990', I mean 'our SAF from 1986-2013' - imv, only someone of similar longevity, with a similar trophy-winning run and legendary status at our club can undo our historical tendency to be quintessentially human - up and down, strong and weak, triumphant and vulnerable at the same time. Changing our history is fighting 135 years of a certain narrative - a daunting task which needs lots and lots of time.

Which is why I said Poch isn't our SAF yet - because he isn't. That needs time - a lot of it, and success to go with it. Where I differ from people more critical of Poch is that I feel he's earned that time - he is our *best* manager in Premier League history, and that's reason enough to hold on to him tightly, if nothing else. But I also differ from fellow fans who argue that he's already changed our club's nature forever off the back of one good and one great season and a whole lot of off-the-pitch work.

Let me put it this way - if, GHod forbid, Poch left tomorrow, would we be similarly resilient and viewed as a generally trophy-winning, title-challenging club for the next couple of decades? If not, then his impact hasn't been nearly permanent enough to merit calling him 'our SAF' - which, again, is a very big comparison. Huge.

(Also, I liked your post because I appreciated your though-out response, mate - I much prefer that over shouting random words in all-caps, and I have to say that it doesn't behoove you to do so.)

Likewise - an excellent post which needs another read from me when I have more time to do so. The occasional 'capped word' is great! Emphasis not yelling! ;-)

That's my issue

Their the people who didn't perform

Do you seriously believe that this is how Harry Kane a scorer of twenty goals over three seasons will look at it? They are not sufficiently reflective to blame themselves. He like Alli and Eriksen will put that down to other considerations, such as poor transfer policies etc. you know the rest, fill it in. They will be gone. To suggest anything else is nothing more than wishful thinking. It has ever been thus.

As for captain, I think Danny Rose has all the combative qualities, but his personality is a bit of an unknown quality. He has always struck me as the quiet type. Do we have any firebrands/ inspirational types?

Do you seriously believe that this is how Harry Kane a scorer of twenty goals over three seasons will look at it? They are not sufficiently reflective to blame themselves. He like Alli and Eriksen will put that down to other considerations, such as poor transfer policies etc. you know the rest, fill it in. They will be gone. To suggest anything else is nothing more than wishful thinking. It has ever been thus.

No footballers rarely blame themselves

It takes a real man to do that and accept that their accountable like Milner did yesterday for example

Kane and Dier are actually quite frank and critical of themselves but most don't as they see the gravy train rolling on

We are certainly going in the right direction. We have a good young manager learning all the time, we have got young gifted players, lovely state of the art training ground with a brand new stadium to come. We have the ingredients to be a great club. However we are missing that bit of seasoning to make the dish complete. We are missing that top player would can make a difference The likes of Bale would have been perfect. These are the players that win you the tight games that can make a season.

We are coming up short because of this reason in my opinion. If Hazard had another off season i think we would have won the league. If Hazard played for Spurs we would have won the league. These types of players will help our mentality, when things are going against you in a game, who are the players looking for? there isnt anyone in the team to say come on lads, a class class player gives you the hope that anything is possible.

The problem now is players and fans expect instant success, the bar has been raised with our 2 title challenges. We wont have the luxury of waiting longer to win things like the old days. a team like Emirates Marketing Project or utd can splash out over a summer and buy a new team.

We need to offer certain players higher wages to stop them thinking of jumping brick, the smart players will know spurs is a good place to be right now however they will also know they could earn so much more elsewhere. It is up to Levy to offer these guys top wages, we want to be a big club so pay like a big club. We can now with wembley next season and the new lane the season after.

Id soon rather keep our current players happy then spend 30m on the likes of sissoko. We are so nearly there, a few tweaks and we can grab the glory we so so deserve!

Exactly. Many have said it, but for me Eric Dier is the perfect choice for captain.

Hmm, but is Dier an automatic 1st choice to start in both formations for when everyone is fit?

I like the idea of Rose being captain. Alli is a hothead, Vertonghen rolls around too much for me to be a captain, Kane is similar to Ledley.

Back