• Dear Guest, Please note that adult content is not permitted on this forum. We have had our Google ads disabled at times due to some posts that were found from some time ago. Please do not post adult content and if you see any already on the forum, please report the post so that we can deal with it. Adult content is allowed in the glory hole - you will have to request permission to access it. Thanks, scara

*** OMT Tottenham Hotspur v Juventus ***

Straight red anywhere.

The BT Sport talking heads just laughed all that brick off at half time as "just the Italians being Italians", more or less. Can imagine the inquiry we'd be having if Dele had done it.

Its an issue in refereeing, in a big way.

Look at the treatment of Alli, he is percieved a diver and so the ref adds that context to every decision - even genuine fouls dont always come his way because of it.

Look at games against the like of Stoke, who used to go in for leg breakers at every opportunity. Any other team finishes with 9 men, but the refs know "but thats Stoke" and so allow it.

It goes on, as you said "just the italians being Italians" - but lets get one thing straight - WE couldnt have got away with the same challenges in the same game! Hows that for fair?

For a job where they are supposed to be impartial, and simply enforce the rules without bias, referees are frankly shocking.

I just had a look at the highlights (painful). You can go on about defensive nous and wily old Italians, and that is true to a point, but the bottom line is that with the chances we had the game should have been well over. We are not clinical enough and that was the difference between going through and not.

Gutted.

Just come on here for the first time since the game, not read all the thread and just browsed through some of the others. It seems that there is blame being directed at some players ( notably Lamela in his thread) even Poch has been questioned, however the bolded bit IS the reason we are now out, we are not clinical enough and its been the same in a lot of games this season.

Without a doubt we WERE the best team last night and we had them on the rack for a large portion of the match and should have been worthy winners, we miss far to many chances ( usaualy we get away with it against poorer sides but we suffered for it last night.

Last edited:
Which is why we should have got Lamela on earlier and probably Moura as well. The long ball to Llorente hardly ever works anyway.

When we are chasing a game against a packed defence and need a goal, it has to be Moura that is brought on. I thought that was the very reason he was bought. An inexplicable oversight to my mind. We surely had absolutely nothing to lose by bringing him on after we went behind. We surely knew how they would play after they went in front.

Everyone is right to go on about our current lack of being clinical in our finishing. However, if I recall correctly, Juve could have had four goals in the first half at their gaff and then the tie would have been all over. Higuain scored two, missed a penalty and also an absolute sitter. It isn't just us who aren't clinical. Yesterday, though, I thought we played well and certainly should have converted more than one from our 23 attempts.

I know. But I really wanted us to win. I think if we had and we avoided Barca, we might have just done it. Until we met Barca.
I'm gutted that we won't meet Barca. Or Bayern. Or Real again. I wanted to see how this team would have played against the big boys. I think we would have been in for a treat. What a fudging shame.

I'm gutted that we won't meet Barca. Or Bayern. Or Real again. I wanted to see how this team would have played against the big boys. I think we would have been in for a treat. What a fudging shame.

We couldn't get past Juve....

Seriously? Just because Juve pulled a Chelsea that means we would get crushed by the Bayerns and Barcas? Man, you really have no admiration for this team.

Not at all, just realistic. We earned the right to play juve we didn't earn the right to play Barca or Bayern.

Sure some teams are better suited to play one team over another, and that could have been the situation had we faced Barca instead of juve during this round.

if we drew Barca, there would be a similar argument to test ourselves against Europe's current in form team, 2/3 years finalists, meanest defence etc in juve to see how "mature" we are as an overall package, manager and players alike.

We got the answer, and I guess you are talking tactically how the game may play out. Again the beauty of football is no two games are never alike. So to imagine is great but the reality is Messi and 5 others could be injured/ banned etc and missed the game .... I dunno can't agree I guess.

Not at all, just realistic. We earned the right to play juve we didn't earn the right to play Barca or Bayern.

Sure some teams are better suited to play one team over another, and that could have been the situation had we faced Barca instead of juve during this round.

if we drew Barca, there would be a similar argument to test ourselves against Europe's current in form team, 2/3 years finalists, meanest defence etc in juve to see how "mature" we are as an overall package, manager and players alike.

We got the answer, and I guess you are talking tactically how the game may play out. Again the beauty of football is no two games are never alike. So to imagine is great but the reality is Messi and 5 others could be injured/ banned etc and missed the game .... I dunno can't agree I guess.

Mate, we didn't win, so therefore Juve goes through.

But lets be clear, Spurs had 6 games in CL this season against 3 genuine top level CL clubs and we were the best team in almost all the games and lost 1 game by a 1 goal margin.

To try in any way to discredit that by saying it was styles or anything like that is a little harsh.

Mate, we didn't win, so therefore Juve goes through.

But lets be clear, Spurs had 6 games in CL this season against 3 genuine top level CL clubs and we were the best team in almost all the games and lost 1 game by a 1 goal margin.

To try in any way to discredit that by saying it was styles or anything like that is a little harsh.

Not at all I've loved every minute of it. How have you drawn that conclusion to what I posted?

Of course the style of game and tactics deployed should result in a winner. I applaud our effort and am not massively bothered about losing to juve.

May sound irrational to you, but I even enjoyed the loss. It was a great game and tactically brilliant. Disappointed with the result, but I think we learn and take it further next year.

We are growing year on year and again we improved this year in Europe. And no how can I forget our journey along the way.

To be honest, I never really thought about us winning the CL, I don't think that was going to happen [[99.999%]] so I'm not fussed really, I am hugely focused on the league and FA Cup and we desperately need to do well in these. The CL is great fun and financially important, but I don't think our squad is ready yet.

If Wanyama was fully fit, and Toby. And Moura. Oh, and Winks. And Rose. And Aurier was properly settled and trained. And if Llorente wasn't so hopeless... and if Sanchez was another year acclimatised... then I would start to dream big. But I can see we have a lot of issues this year. Next year perhaps, PROVIDING WE GET IN AGAIN.

When we are chasing a game against a packed defence and need a goal, it has to be Moura that is brought on. I thought that was the very reason he was bought. An inexplicable oversight to my mind. We surely had absolutely nothing to lose by bringing him on after we went behind. We surely knew how they would play after they went in front.

The reason is that Poch has said he still needs work on his defensive game. 1-2, chasing the game we still needed to watch for 1-3...balances...if we had brought him on at 1-0 to target those yellow cards, that would’ve been interesting...

Sitting on my porcelain throne using glory-glory.co.uk mobile app

Back