• Dear Guest, Please note that adult content is not permitted on this forum. We have had our Google ads disabled at times due to some posts that were found from some time ago. Please do not post adult content and if you see any already on the forum, please report the post so that we can deal with it. Adult content is allowed in the glory hole - you will have to request permission to access it. Thanks, scara

*** OMT Tottenham Hotspur v Emirates Marketing Project

Rejoicing! Glad to see the back of that scrbbling sniper. I really enjoy Jonathan Liew's work. Anyone who can conjure up original witty descriptions like he can is fine with me.

Describing the frantic flapping and floundering of Harry Maguire , he wrote: "...defended like a man made of jam in a world made of wasps...".

We'll be well served and entertained. And I don't care who he supports though there were whispers when he wrote at the Telegraph that he was a Spurs fan. No idea if true. Just glad he's replaced my least favourite writer.

You are so naive. He's a long-time Arsenal season ticket holder, a former editor of an Arsenal fanzine, chief mischief-maker at the the London Goonergraph - sorry, Telegraph - and the craftiest, slyest writer at inviting Spurs fans to gripe and bitch about their own club.

My media career includes stints working as a copy editor for a major metropolitan newspaper and the Associated Press wire service system, plus time as a writer of news articles, opinion pieces and books. As well disguised as Eccleshare's copy is, his work is full of sly malice toward Spurs.

Just look at the completely unnecessary piece he barfed up about Tim Sherwood, who has been unrelentingly negative about Spurs in his time as a TV pundit:

(If you're on a PC and get interrupted by the Athletic's paywall, just go to the illustration/photo at the top of the page, right click to produce a drop-down menu and click on 'Continue on Immersive Reader'. You'll get the full text minus any graphics or video links. )

Stop being such a trout and believing everything you read. I don't want cheerleaders writing about Spurs. But I do not want this arsehole earning a handsome living writing maliciously about our club. And if he reads about Spurs fans defending his work, he's laughing up his sleeve.
Ding dong the witch is dead. My criticisms have paid off.

Rejoicing! Glad to see the back of that scrbbling sniper. I really enjoy Jonathan Liew's work. Anyone who can conjure up original witty descriptions like he can is fine with me.

Describing the frantic flapping and floundering of Harry Maguire , he wrote: "...defended like a man made of jam in a world made of wasps...".

We'll be well served and entertained. And I don't care who he supports though there were whispers when he wrote at the Telegraph that he was a Spurs fan. No idea if true. Just glad he's replaced my least favourite writer.
Did you read the post above yours?

You are so naive. He's a long-time Arsenal season ticket holder, a former editor of an Arsenal fanzine, chief mischief-maker at the the London Goonergraph - sorry, Telegraph - and the craftiest, slyest writer at inviting Spurs fans to gripe and bitch about their own club.

My media career includes stints working as a copy editor for a major metropolitan newspaper and the Associated Press wire service system, plus time as a writer of news articles, opinion pieces and books. As well disguised as Eccleshare's copy is, his work is full of sly malice toward Spurs.

Just look at the completely unnecessary piece he barfed up about Tim Sherwood, who has been unrelentingly negative about Spurs in his time as a TV pundit:

(If you're on a PC and get interrupted by the Athletic's paywall, just go to the illustration/photo at the top of the page, right click to produce a drop-down menu and click on 'Continue on Immersive Reader'. You'll get the full text minus any graphics or video links. )

Stop being such a trout and believing everything you read. I don't want cheerleaders writing about Spurs. But I do not want this arsehole earning a handsome living writing maliciously about our club. And if he reads about Spurs fans defending his work, he's laughing up his sleeve.

You just come across as deranged at this point. There’s literally not one person on this board who sees Eccleshare in the same way as you…in fact, most say the opposite; he’s extremely well balanced considering he is a gooner.

I’m mostly disappointed he’s going because I love the thought of you getting completely wound up every time he posts a new article.

🤣 🤣...and doubles down with Liew
Yeah. Jon Liew. Humble, self-effacing, hard working and multiple-award winning journalist and columnist.

Chuck Eccleshare. Self-aggrandizing scribbler who loves to make himself and his opinions the subject of his articles, crafty at pishing on Spurs and fooling their most dimwitted fans and has only won the Get's His Round In gong from the Pub Journalishts Asshoshiation.

If I lined a bird cage with his copy I'd get done for cruelty to an animal.

Yeah. Jon Liew. Humble, self-effacing, hard working and multiple-award winning journalist and columnist.

Chuck Eccleshare. Self-aggrandizing scribbler who loves to make himself and his opinions the subject of his articles, crafty at pishing on Spurs and fooling their most dimwitted fans and has only won the Get's His Round In gong from the Pub Journalishts Asshoshiation.

If I lined a bird cage with his copy I'd get done for cruelty to an animal.

Liew does not come across as humble whatsoever (I have not crossed paths with him so this is an opinion derived from reading his work over the years). The shame of it is he started as a great read. Well-balanced and able to present cogent and personable writing. Alas, he then appears to have been sucked into the 'personality jouralism' which ate up the likes of Glendenning, becoming a 'voice' which serves only to serve their own 'act' as an aggrandizer and provocateur. He laid his stall out on Ange last summer, essentially calling him out as some sort of chancing international 'bumpkin' because of his CV. When the road got bumpy for Ange a few months back, Liew was right in there doubling down on his assertion. When things steadied, he was nowhere to be seen. At one time, Liew was a great prospect, and The Guardian seemingly had their first really fine football journalist since the late, great Kevin McCarra. Alas, it was not to be. Perhaps you actually know him. Your area of the profession might've brought you into contact, and perhaps that is why you appear to like him? I spent a fair amount of time over a couple of years in Kevin McCarra's company. He was a legend. Richard Williams is another great writer, and McCarra introduced us once (he also seemed decent). A beacon amidst the slurry even then.

I have no real view on Eccleshare TBH, he's never caused me a thought. I suppose at least Liew has that going for him!

Liew does not come across as humble whatsoever (I have not crossed paths with him so this is an opinion derived from reading his work over the years). The shame of it is he started as a great read. Well-balanced and able to present cogent and personable writing. Alas, he then appears to have been sucked into the 'personality jouralism' which ate up the likes of Glendenning, becoming a 'voice' which serves only to serve their own 'act' as an aggrandizer and provocateur. He laid his stall out on Ange last summer, essentially calling him out as some sort of chancing international 'bumpkin' because of his CV. When the road got bumpy for Ange a few months back, Liew was right in there doubling down on his assertion. When things steadied, he was nowhere to be seen. At one time, Liew was a great prospect, and The Guardian seemingly had their first really fine football journalist since the late, great Kevin McCarra. Alas, it was not to be. Perhaps you actually know him. Your area of the profession might've brought you into contact, and perhaps that is why you appear to like him? I spent a fair amount of time over a couple of years in Kevin McCarra's company. He was a legend. Richard Williams is another great writer, and McCarra introduced us once (he also seemed decent). A beacon amidst the slurry even then.

I have no real view on Eccleshare TBH, he's never caused me a thought. I suppose at least Liew has that going for him!
Liew seems to have lost the point of his job so seems to just want to create a stir somehow
He also thinks he writes in a manner with humour which I don’t see
If people miss the joke … it’s not a good joke

Back