• Dear Guest, Please note that adult content is not permitted on this forum. We have had our Google ads disabled at times due to some posts that were found from some time ago. Please do not post adult content and if you see any already on the forum, please report the post so that we can deal with it. Adult content is allowed in the glory hole - you will have to request permission to access it. Thanks, scara

***OMT - Tottenham Hotspur v Emirates Marketing Project***

Man of the match

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
Watching a reun of the as I didn't see it live.
It's half time,
Points so far,
We were pants up to their first goal. Been OK since
All the danger is coming down their right, lining up to foul rose and there's as much chance a shopping trolley picking up kdb as Eriksen doing it.
Is Harry playing?
Lamela not having his best game but still our best player.
KWP doing well.

And what kind of setup has a player like Eriksen responsible for picking up a player like De Bruyne? I believe 'a brick one' is the answer!

Everyone defends and everyone attacks

Come on, that's a massive simplification! You wouldn't set the team up with Kane being responsible for Aguero, right? In the same way (albeit to a less extreme extent), I think it's a mistake to set the team up in a way that means someone like Eriksen needs to be taking responsibility for someone like De Bruyne.

Again, I'm not defending Eriksen, I'm just saying also that Poch should have had a better plan to deal with De Bruyne.

Come on, that's a massive simplification! You wouldn't set the team up with Kane being responsible for Aguero, right? In the same way (albeit to a less extreme extent), I think it's a mistake to set the team up in a way that means someone like Eriksen needs to be taking responsibility for someone like De Bruyne.

Again, I'm not defending Eriksen, I'm just saying also that Poch should have had a better plan to deal with De Bruyne.

Kane was responsible for the two centre halves and the keeper, everyone has an assignment based on situation, with the fb’s tucked in the wider midfielders have to cover any overlaps.

Watched the 2nd half, conclusions,
City are very good, intensity is insane. A joy to watch spoiled by the cheating half fouls.
Pep is a clam.
We look so disjointed, never liked Eriksen and lamela in the same side and seen nothing here to change my mind.
Clever run from Eriksen at the front post for the goal, dragged them out of shape.
KWP looks very promising.
VAR is funny.

Kane was responsible for the two centre halves and the keeper, everyone has an assignment based on situation, with the fb’s tucked in the wider midfielders have to cover any overlaps.

I’m not saying that wasn’t the case, I’m saying it shouldn’t have been the case i.e. I don't think it's a good system to have Eriksen responsible for picking up De Bruyne's runs behind, when a) he's also responsible for Walker and b) De Bruyne basically plays as a forward, starting his overlaps from the no.10 position rather than from the full-back position. IMO we should be playing an extra CB to pick up De Bruyne's runs behind instead.

(I do agree though that Eriksen should have got closer to De Bruyne for their first goal, given that De Bruyne had dropped deeper).

Here's an image to show exactly what I mean, just before their second goal. Eriksen's pushed up to Walker, leaving Rose to deal with both De Bruyne and Silva on his own. You could say Sanchez or Winks should have come across to mark De Bruyne, and maybe they should have done, but in a zonal system they don't want to be dragged out of their central position and leave gaps there.

If we had a third CB next to Sanchez (playing instead of where Sissoko is, giving us a 5-3-2), De Bruyne wouldn't have been an issue here.

upload_2019-8-18_13-47-11.png

The player closest to De Bruyne should track his run whoever that is. It so happened that Eriksen and De Bruyne occupy similar spaces so it is logical for him to track back with De Bruyne. A fit, motivated, undistracted Eriksen would normally do that. Yesterday Eriksen tracked up to a point then just gave up. Very uneriksen like imo.

Here's an image to show exactly what I mean, just before their second goal. Eriksen's pushed up to Walker, leaving Rose to deal with both De Bruyne and Silva on his own. You could say Sanchez or Winks should have come across to mark De Bruyne, and maybe they should have done, but in a zonal system they don't want to be dragged out of their central position and leave gaps there.

If we had a third CB next to Sanchez (playing instead of where Sissoko is, giving us a 5-3-2), De Bruyne wouldn't have been an issue here.

View attachment 7091
Without question Winks was also off colour yesterday and didn't do his defensive job as well as he could.

Not sure I blame Poch for players not doing the basics well. Unless we are saying it was down to poor mental preparation.

View attachment 7091

This happened to KWP a few times aswell, he was always 2 on 1.

Without question Winks was also off colour yesterday and didn't do his defensive job as well as he could.

Not sure I blame Poch for players not doing the basics well. Unless we are saying it was down to poor mental preparation.

I think the picture above clearly shows how Emirates Marketing Project set up in a way that allows De Bruyne to take advantage of our formation (and indeed any formation with 4 at the back), and that the problem was therefore tactical, as well as due to individual performances. If others disagree, I'll have to leave it there as I don't know what else I can say to try and support my point!

I think the picture above clearly shows how Emirates Marketing Project set up in a way that allows De Bruyne to take advantage of our formation (and indeed any formation with 4 at the back), and that the problem was therefore tactical, as well as due to individual performances. If others disagree, I'll have to leave it there as I don't know what else I can say to try and support my point!
It's an interesting point mate and. I don't necessarily disagree. Only that there should be an expectation that defensive midfielders cover across to prevent overload. I would also point out that that I am sure we have been outplayed by city before even when we had 3 Centre backs.

It's an interesting point mate and. I don't necessarily disagree. Only that there should be an expectation that defensive midfielders cover across to prevent overload. I would also point out that that I am sure we have been outplayed by city before even when we had 3 Centre backs.

I posted the XG from our last few league games that showed our best performance (by that measure) was away last season, when we played 5 at the back. Still, I agree that whatever system we play it is still going to be very tough to play City! And I agree that ideally Winks should have covered better. Ultimately it's hard to know who's most at fault, because we don't know how Poch tried to set the team up and how much guidance he gave the players. It also just reinforces for me that I think Winks is a much better no.8 than no.4 - don't think defensive intelligence is a strength of his.

View attachment 7091

I have no idea what Winks is doing here, he needs to drop back or go to KDB

Back