• Dear Guest, Please note that adult content is not permitted on this forum. We have had our Google ads disabled at times due to some posts that were found from some time ago. Please do not post adult content and if you see any already on the forum, please report the post so that we can deal with it. Adult content is allowed in the glory hole - you will have to request permission to access it. Thanks, scara

***OMT TOTTENHAM HOTSPUR v Aston Villa***

Well that was a borefest, especially the first half.
Winks definitely MOTM. I thought Davies had a good game when he was played in. There seemed to be a period in the first half where Davies was constantly unmarked out on the wing but Wimmer in particular seemed to have an aversion to passing the ball to him. When there was a pass or cross it was often so long that even Danny Rose would have struggled to catch up with it.
Tripps started off OK, most play seemed to be down his side initially, but he faded out.
Janssen - hmm. Like everyone else I SO wanted yesterday to be the day when it worked for him. I would have liked to see him still on when both Ali and then GKN were subbed on. There were times when he was getting into good positions (maybe not as much as a front man should) and I can remember at least two occasions where Son could/should have passed to him but chose to go on his own.
GKN is a good weapon to have on the bench. Nice play for the goal.
CCV acquitted himself well all things considered and it was telling that Poch was happy to leave him on with Wimmer when taking Toby off (maybe also based on the lack of any real threat from Villa).
Onomah looked OK in his short cameo.
All in all, a days work done and we live for another round.

How annoying were the Villa fans, same as Collymore on twitter going on about how they are the bigger club than us and get bigger attendances week in week out

All I can remember of them is for the past 10-15 years them having awful attendances week in week out

He really is a prized bell most of the time

It has its uses and worked really well against Watford and Chelsea but I wouldn't want it to become a full time switch

We have the ideal players for three at the back. The problem yesterday was that Davies and Trippier didn't get forward down the wings enough and Dier seemed to have forgotten how to transition and support the forwards enough. Add to that VJ , Son and Sissoko were not at the races in the first half, it all combined to make it a torpid, AVB like performance, for an hour.

I agree that the subs made a difference today. But it was more to do with GKN providing some decent wing play ( noiticeably absent until then) and the removal of a superfluous third CD against a tiring Villa side meaning we could commit more men forward that were the real game changers.

The formation for us was totally wrong for the players we were up against

It's easy to say in himdsight but playing a more adventurous set up would have suited the team better and we looked much more fluid with a back 4

3 at the back works well against top sides and against long ball sides but I couldn't even pigeon hole villa as any sort of side today, just a poor one

Jansenn was poor but the service again was woeful. Several times he moved, checked, moved again and son took 5 touches before hitting a villa defender

I don't agree that three at the back just works against top sides and long ball sides. As Chelsea proved with their record equalling sequence of victories, it can work against all -comers. However, it very much depends on the personnel. I would say we have the perfect personnel for this system to work. Three top quality CHs, a super covering DM, two pacy attacking Wing backs, and a good blend of the remaining four attackers.

I don't agree that three at the back just works against top sides and long ball sides. As Chelsea proved with their record equalling sequence of victories, it can work against all -comers. However, it very much depends on the personnel. I would say we have the perfect personnel for this system to work. Three top quality CHs, a super covering DM, two pacy attacking Wing backs, and a good blend of the remaining four attackers.

Agreed. Quite a few factors that made us look less than threatening in that first half against Villa.

Usually our wide centre backs in Dier and Vertonghen are more than happy to venture forward and contribute in the opponent's half. Wimmer and CCV weren't ready to do that. For one reason.

How annoying were the Villa fans, same as Collymore on twitter going on about how they are the bigger club than us and get bigger attendances week in week out

All I can remember of them is for the past 10-15 years them having awful attendances week in week out

He really is a prized bell most of the time

I don't know about that, I can remember not so long ago wishing we could do as well. To me and millions of other post PL fans Villa will always be a big club.

It was a big day out for their fans again after dropping down to Championship. Away fans always make plenty of noise too.

Let them have their moment. We were quiet but that was largely due to our down-tempo play and the prices meant a lot of kids there.

I don't know about that, I can remember not so long ago wishing we could do as well. To me and millions of other post PL fans Villa will always be a big club.

Really? early 80s when they had their golden 3 years was probably the last time they were noticeably better than us. They are a big club - in the same way Sheffield Wednesday and Leeds are big cubs to me but I genuinely can't think of any time post 1985 when I was envious of Villa or their fans.

It was a big day out for their fans again after dropping down to Championship. Away fans always make plenty of noise too.

Let them have their moment. We were quiet but that was largely due to our down-tempo play and the prices meant a lot of kids there.

After last season, how they had the nerve to sing 'Empty seats M'Lord and Sh#t support is beyond me

You had me interested until the phrase "we're entitled..." .

YOU might feel entitled, Sunshine, but what you feel doesn't entitle you to speak for others.

I should have said 'Poch is entitled' of course. I used 'we' as in 'I hope we win at the weekend' - obviously I'm not going to be taking part in the game, but like to feel that I am part of a bigger entity i.e. The club.

I'm all for supporting Janssen but he was very poor yesterday and has shown nothing yet which gives me hope that he is a suitable back up for Kane. Hopefully 'we' can work with him and help him progress, but there was certainly every reason to take him off yesterday....sunshine. [emoji6]

Sitting on my porcelain throne using glory-glory.co.uk mobile app

After last season, how they had the nerve to sing 'Empty seats M'Lord and Sh#t support is beyond me

The rendition of "Going Home My Lord" as they were filing out after our second goal was fun though.

Yes, there were lots of empty seats yesterday and the atmosphere was very flat (we wore out our week's quota on Wednesday night!). But given the tube station closures in the evening, and the fact that there were no mainline train services all day from Hertford/Bishops Stortford/Cambridge, I thought it was an OK showing.
But it gave them something to sing about. Aston Villa's Big Day Out.

I should have said 'Poch is entitled' of course. I used 'we' as in 'I hope we win at the weekend' - obviously I'm not going to be taking part in the game, but like to feel that I am part of a bigger entity i.e. The club.

I'm all for supporting Janssen but he was very poor yesterday and has shown nothing yet which gives me hope that he is a suitable back up for Kane. Hopefully 'we' can work with him and help him progress, but there was certainly every reason to take him off yesterday....sunshine. [emoji6]

Janssen's overall play isn't any worse than Kane has been in many games this season and last season. He just needs to start scoring at a decent rate and he'll be absolutely fine.

The rendition of "Going Home My Lord" as they were filing out after our second goal was fun though.

Yes, there were lots of empty seats yesterday and the atmosphere was very flat (we wore out our week's quota on Wednesday night!). But given the tube station closures in the evening, and the fact that there were no mainline train services all day from Hertford/Bishops Stortford/Cambridge, I thought it was an OK showing.
But it gave them something to sing about. Aston Villa's Big Day Out.

I like that. That made my smile on a dull Monday afternoon at work

As I said loudly to my son at half time (for the benefit of my moaning friends around me) "this is what you get when Eriksen is not playing", but I'm probably wrong, we really needed someone getting stuck in.

We were saying the same thing at half time on our way to the loo, he is the one creative spark we have and when he is not there we do struggle against packed défenses.

We got through which is the main thing, making nine changes does not help a side play fluid football and the fact Villa had six at the back made it even harder. For me ( and those around me) it is blindingly obvious that without Eriksen we lack creativity.

Last edited:
We lacked the courage of our convictions on occasion as well, breaking like lightning to the halfway-line and then all but stopping while the Villa defence reassembled.

Back