• Dear Guest, Please note that adult content is not permitted on this forum. We have had our Google ads disabled at times due to some posts that were found from some time ago. Please do not post adult content and if you see any already on the forum, please report the post so that we can deal with it. Adult content is allowed in the glory hole - you will have to request permission to access it. Thanks, scara

*** OMT Tottenham Hotspur v Arsenal FC ***

Any time I actually look at the laws of the game, I always think they’re so badly conceived / written.

Why not just leave the wording as ‘deliberately played’? Being ‘in control’ of the ball and ‘deliberately playing it’ are two different things, and being ‘in control’ is much more vague and subjective. Then all the bullet points just make things even more vague and subjective.

Everyone would agree Tomiyasu ‘deliberately played’ the ball - end of.
If a keeper or a defender carries the ball and smacks it right into a defender, that negates an offside position no doubt. The way I see it, it was a block, not a play/pass the way the ball pinballed from a very hard shot from 10 yards. So by the way the rules are written I have no problem accepting that it was an offside. As long as it is enforced fairly and consistantly.

It’s the whole principle of a tap tackle in rugby. I can’t believe Gallagher sees that as Deki tripping himself up, Warnock is having to explain that to a former professional referee like he’s a fukking toddler.
Bang on. I have actually performed that visual demonstration that Warnock did to my mates when talking about these situations.

This used to happen all the time to Bale when he was bursting past someone and 9 times out of 10 some uneducated macaron commentating would say "oh, he's tripped himself up, no foul". It always drove me nuts!

Last edited:
Also there might not be a 'conspiracy' but the way VAR is used currently certainly leaves the door wide open for clever manipulation of results, if need be
Which is similar to what someone over the page said about the rules being vague. Do think they're purposely so so refs can slither away from accountability. They should be interviewed when they fudge up, you never hear a peep out of them. They should also be micced up. It's ridiculous how much leaway they get to affect games through emotion and bias.

Reactions: jrh
If they hadn't scored would it have been called back? I think the fall out of chopping off their goal and going up the end and giving us a pen would been immense.
This happened a few years ago when Liverpool beat City and I think TAA did some Odegaard style basketball and they went up the other end and scored. They could be mulling the VAR call and then the goal makes their minds up.

Would also help if we could defend. We must sort that out. We can't score 3 every week
Our defending from open play was not as bad as some people think. We limited them to just 0.51 xG from open play and the only big chance they had was the Saka shot that Vic saved. Overall, excluding our penalty, we had 1.63 - 1.02 xG and 15 shots to their 9. Even in the first half where people thought we were "atrocious", we still outshot them 8 to 4 with 0.89 - 0.67 xG.

This game was very fine margins. Sonny skying a one-on-one, Cuti hitting the post from point-blank range. VdV goal chalked off. Saka's goal not getting disallowed and a pen given on the other end (the commentators on the Spanish channel I was watching were aghast it didn't get awarded). This was not like the Saudi Sportswashing Machine and Fulham games where we deserved what we got. This one could have easily ended with a Spurs win and it would have been deserved.

But do we need to get set pieces sorted? Absolutely.

It's hard to have positives. Villa beat them by sitting back on the break. We will never play like that.

I'll take the positives that we took the game to them. Won the possession battle. Lost 5-4 over two legs to a title chasing side. We are a work in progress.

Next season we need a quality wide forward. A backup LB. Another striker option and another midfield option.
Villa were lucky to beat them. We were unlucky to lose to them. Let's have some perspective and not just judge on the final score.

If a keeper or a defender carries the ball and smacks it right into a defender, that negates an offside position no doubt. The way I see it, it was a block, not a play/pass the way the ball pinballed from a very hard shot from 10 yards. So by the way the rules are written I have no problem accepting that it was an offside. As long as it is enforced fairly and consistantly.

Yeah I can accept that. Just think the rules aren’t clearly written. If they wanted to go into more detail than ‘deliberately played the ball’, your wording is less ambiguous than their bullet points IMO - a block doesn’t count, a pass or clearance [and list any other examples of actions] does.

Back