• Dear Guest, Please note that adult content is not permitted on this forum. We have had our Google ads disabled at times due to some posts that were found from some time ago. Please do not post adult content and if you see any already on the forum, please report the post so that we can deal with it. Adult content is allowed in the glory hole - you will have to request permission to access it. Thanks, scara

*** OMT Tottenham Hotspur v Arsenal FC ***

The penalty is absolutely inexplicable to me. He was a couple of yards away with a perfect view, Rice absolutely clatters Davies and the ball wasn't even close relatively speaking. It was so nailed on, I just can't see any justification for not giving it.

I don't buy the conspiracy theory because any major error like that will be pulled back by VAR. I don't like hammering refs but that was one of the worst on-field decisions I've ever seen.
There is no conspiracy
IMO its an over reliance on VAR from the refs
They know it can step in
But it’s inexcusable to see it like he did and ignore it
The fouls on Kulu I get but this ..,, nah

The penalty is absolutely inexplicable to me. He was a couple of yards away with a perfect view, Rice absolutely clatters Davies and the ball wasn't even close relatively speaking. It was so nailed on, I just can't see any justification for not giving it.
Father Ted on Bishop Brennan was marginally more obvious but they’re on the same level.

As much as it hurts to say, if I understand the rules correctly, it's an offside. Had the clearance been so called "deliberate play" it would have negated the offside. From FA:

The following criteria should be used, as appropriate, as indicators that a player was in control of the ball and, as a result, can be considered to have ‘deliberately played’ the ball:
  • The ball travelled from distance and the player had a clear view of it
  • The ball was not moving quickly
  • The direction of the ball was not unexpected
  • The player had time to coordinate their body movement, i.e. it was not a case of instinctive stretching or jumping, or a movement that achieved limited contact/control
  • A ball moving on the ground is easier to play than a ball in the air
Even if I want to, I cannot say that Tomiyasu was in control of the ball. Or I may have misunderstood the cryptic laywer speak on FA's website.

Any time I actually look at the laws of the game, I always think they’re so badly conceived / written.

Why not just leave the wording as ‘deliberately played’? Being ‘in control’ of the ball and ‘deliberately playing it’ are two different things, and being ‘in control’ is much more vague and subjective. Then all the bullet points just make things even more vague and subjective.

Everyone would agree Tomiyasu ‘deliberately played’ the ball - end of.

I don't buy the conspiracy theory because any major error like that will be pulled back by VAR. I don't like hammering refs but that was one of the worst on-field decisions I've ever seen.

If it's true he refused to look at the monitor for the kulu trip he should be sacked.

It’s offside according to the rules
The deflection ain’t seen as an intentional play of the ball
It’s always been that way
I’m not convinced…. Tomiyasu plays the ball forwards and it is the ricochet off of his teammate that results in the ball going to VDV. I think that is another phase of play from the initial shot

I’m not convinced…. Tomiyasu plays the ball forwards and it is the ricochet off of his teammate that results in the ball going to VDV. I think that is another phase of play from the initial shot
Not according to the way it’s written
I think it’s wrong
Massively wrong
But at no point was he “in control”
That’s not how offside is meant to work on any level

One deflection id get, but two.. that’s just daft

It's probably partly a coaching issue.

I think it's also partly a squad buildup issue. We're a bit short and not a lot of our players are aggressive in how they deal with stuff in the air from set pieces. Think some of them can improve, but we're still a bit short even if they do.

Doubt we'll go for a new goalkeeper. Dominant in the box keepers are rare, finding one that's also good enough at all the other stuff is very difficult.

But I think it may impact our transfer activity elsewhere. A DM that's also fairly tall and a bit of a unit perhaps? A striker with real height and power?
I don’t think we lost yesterday’s game due to lack of a DM or striker. We’re scoring goals at a good rate. However we give up a goal a game on average to inswinging set pieces and every team now knows that.

Bung in a bid to unsettle Ramsdale at Arsenal. He’s clearly second choice and would probably jump at the chance to be first choice at Spurs. Henderson is another that we could probably get for a reasonable fee.

I don’t think we lost yesterday’s game due to lack of a DM or striker. We’re scoring goals at a good rate. However we give up a goal a game on average to inswinging set pieces and every team now knows that.

Bung in a bid to unsettle Ramsdale at Arsenal. He’s clearly second choice and would probably jump at the chance to be first choice at Spurs. Henderson is another that we could probably get for a reasonable fee.
Henderson and Ramsdale are inferior to Vicario in every way though

I’m wondering about that too.

We certainly need someone to really challenge Vic next season - and we need to then be dropping him if he does not improve his game.

He’s undoubtedly a great shot-stopper, but teams have quickly seized on his weaknesses. We’re seeing why he’s not Italy’s first choice.
The first corner we conceded from yesterday also came because he played a terrible ball in behind (I think it was) VDV, putting him into real trouble. At that point when you can’t pass to the defenders feet or in front of him you have to go long…. The attempted ball there should’ve been long and towards our left wing for Werner to chase. Worst result is a throw in to Arsenal or the ball back with their keeper.

When we score goals is one of the big problems for me. We concede early and have had to come back too many times this season. We've done it pretty well overall, but if we score more often when we're on top I think the narrative would be a lot different.

Back