• Dear Guest, Please note that adult content is not permitted on this forum. We have had our Google ads disabled at times due to some posts that were found from some time ago. Please do not post adult content and if you see any already on the forum, please report the post so that we can deal with it. Adult content is allowed in the glory hole - you will have to request permission to access it. Thanks, scara

*** OMT Tottenham Hotspur v Arsenal FC ***

We were the better team throughout the game. Our only concern is that we are terrible at set pieces. That has to be fixed. Otherwise, with another ref/VAR ref, it's 1-1, possibly 2-1 to us instead of 2-0. Totally different game then.
I don't know if we really were. They were ahead for so long, they didn't have to "dominate" the game. I really think they could have murdered us but for how they approached the second half. They were time-wasting at 3-0 which, in my view, prevented them from putting us to the sword. When they fudged up, that then gave us momentum and they were hanging on at the end.

I'm surprised to see people on here saying they managed the game well.

1. We need to be able to defend corners.
2. If we’d played the first half with the same commitment we showed in the second half we would have won that.

I don't know if we really were. They were ahead for so long, they didn't have to "dominate" the game. I really think they could have murdered us but for how they approached the second half. They were time-wasting at 3-0 which, in my view, prevented them from putting us to the sword. When they fudged up, that then gave us momentum and they were hanging on at the end.

I'm surprised to see people on here saying they managed the game well.
We don't know if they sat deeper because they didn't need to go forward or if we pinned them back. That doesn't change the fact that we controlled the game and pushed them back, ie we were the better team, regardless of why.

You're not going to get any arguments from me there. Our set piece defending is woeful. I don't know what happened, because like you said it was so good at the beginning of the season.

The one thing I would say is Vicario is too naive. Why doesn't he go down for the 3rd goal??
It wasn't. We got away with the opposition missing lots of free headers and we also were dominating games better so the opposition has less corners and set pieces then finally we got tumbled when Pep noticed and pinned our keeper ( who I don't really blame tbh). Vicario should have better protection from the outfield players but they are pussys. Just not an aggressive , physical bunch.
Would definitely have played Vdv at LB and brought Dragusin in today.
Saka doesn't score with Vdv there and we have a better aerial presence from set pieces , killing two birds with one stone.

I understand I'm going to be in a very small minority, but I come out of that feeling ok. Of course, I'm fudging fuming we lost to them, but thinking longer term I'm comfortable.

We completely dominated them in the first half and played some beautiful football. I honestly think I watched a different game when I read some comments. We had Romero's header glance past the post, hit the post and had a goal ruled out because VDV's arse is a millimetre too big all before they even had a shot on target. The PEH own goal happens in about 1/10 games.

I could be wrong but I cannot believe Kulusevski didn't get a penalty. From there it got bad...terrible to be that exposed, and absolutely criminal from the corner. Truly pathetic that Havertz scored from that.

The second half was scrappy and Arsenal didn't want to play...they've learnt a lot. As soon as they got the second -- probably well before that even -- they were killing the game. Every action of there's was to kill it. Unfortunately, we got sucked into their nonsense too much.

For me, it's the same problems. We just do not punish teams when we're on top. That first half was absolutely nowhere fudging near 0-3. But our inability to punish a team whilst also being so open at the back kills us.

But compare that to the ridiculously meek performance at home to them last season, where we didn't even venture over half way and lost 2-0...I'll take this. Going toe-to-toe with and out-performing one of the top two.

We're going to be so fudging good next season.
I totally agree. Im not upset in the game overall. I completely agree with all you said.

Next season. but for now. Corners and Vicario. We need to find a fix. Every team is targeting it. They cant be allowed to block the keeper like this. But he has to be much much stronger. and come for them. id rather he come and miss than do what he is doing.

We need some extra quality up front. Options.

1. We need to be able to defend corners.
2. If we’d played the first half with the same commitment we showed in the second half we would have won that.
We were the better side in the first half

Really think everyone is getting swayed by the scoreline. Totally understandable, but you play that first half again and we go in losing maybe 2 or 3 times out of 10, let alone by 3 goals, it was a freak.

I totally agree. Im not upset in the game overall. I completely agree with all you said.

Next season. but for now. Corners and Vicario. We need to find a fix. Every team is targeting it. They cant be allowed to block the keeper like this. But he has to be much much stronger. and come for them. id rather he come and miss than do what he is doing.

We need some extra quality up front. Options.
It’s not just vicario
The players need to be allowed to mark someone
That’s what killed us today

We don't know if they sat deeper because they didn't need to go forward or if we pinned them back. That doesn't change the fact that we controlled the game and pushed them back, ie we were the better team, regardless of why.
I’m not sure how anyone watches that and thinks we were the better team.

We conceded three avoidable goals and were gifted two by them.

Other than that, they were quite happy to let us have the ball, knowing that we’d pass it between ourselves on the edge of their box, and when they intercepted they could knock it over the top into the acres of space behind our defensive line.

The cannier, more clinical team won. We’re miles away from being what they are.

All I can say is that it's a sad day for us.
When they won the double duplicating ours in the sixties...their winning goal was from a set piece that caught us out.
I was there! It was taken quickly before we were ready IIRC.
When will we ever stop letting in stupid goals?

Really think everyone is getting swayed by the scoreline. Totally understandable, but you play that first half again and we go in losing maybe 2 or 3 times out of 10, let alone by 3 goals, it was a freak.
Yes we were the better side first half. But their first goal came from a corner that they should never have won. Sometimes playing it out from the back is not going to work. For all our possession first half we seemed off in our attacking.

It’s not just vicario
The players need to be allowed to mark someone
That’s what killed us today
yeah sure. its a team thing. But they are all failing. and the sad part is VDV and Romero are excellent CB's generally. But it looks like our defence is a shambles at set pieces. its just all wrong.

This one is not on Levy, we have backed Ange with some serious wedge and our recruitment has been top notch of late, bar Solomon. I agree we need players to bring more to the team, but we look like we will get battered every first half ... then decide to play in the second half. We are playing with blinkers on and tactically we are so naive. All teams have to do is break lines and float one over the top to find a rapid player ... its so easy to beat our system.
well Ange has only recently done well in the Scottish league, his highest level of pro football so hopefully he will learn. we're good for fifth and if we are in Europe, its another year of learning. so to be fair to Ange we can only judge him after.

he did very, very well in the Scottish league but i hope he will realize its a different kettle of fish here. besides we still have davies and hojberg in the squad and need time to find and fund better players. already we've seen the limits of maddison and kulu on top of the lack of depth in GK, LB positions. still lots to do before we win something.

tbh, i like arteta ball much better and i've been saying that for years. move the ball quickly and when attacking keep the momentum up and pass forward. there was a lot of early talk that angeball was going to be all out attack, but maybe its me but i'm seeing a lot of conteball in how we play lately - like pulling the ball back when we have an opportunity for a quick counter and an early cross. instead we allow them to reorganize their defence and we try to tiki taka our way to the by line and have five players in the penalty box expecting it. AT least early Conte's quick attack when Kane was happy to play provider for Son to attack was marvelous to watch. Now Ange seems to have clipped the boots of the boys with no shots from outside the penalty box, assiginng duties only to Porro, when we know Son and Kulu can curl them in from either flanks.

oh well, we're stuck with ange now and we're still in a decent position so might as well get used to him. anyway losing 2-3 while giving away an own goal and a ref that could not give a yellow card until its a spurs player isn't that bad a scoreline.

I think you're being swayed by the way Arsenal set up allowing us to have possession - all we had to show for it was a fortunate loose ball to get a borderline offside goal chalked off. Whereas at the other end we gifted them goal after goal by defending in the exact same manner we have for the majority of the season - there's no freak turn of events to see us concede on the break or give up goals at corners.

I think you're being swayed by the way Arsenal set up allowing us to have possession - all we had to show for it was a fortunate loose ball to get a borderline offside goal chalked off
And a Romero header from 4 yards on to the post

And a clear penalty not given

And a Romero header centimeters wide of the post

And a Son one on one with the keeper

But yea, I’m being swayed….

Back