• Dear Guest, Please note that adult content is not permitted on this forum. We have had our Google ads disabled at times due to some posts that were found from some time ago. Please do not post adult content and if you see any already on the forum, please report the post so that we can deal with it. Adult content is allowed in the glory hole - you will have to request permission to access it. Thanks, scara

***OMT*** Spurs vs Southampton

Sitting in top four at Chrimbo exceeded my wildest expectations.

Now a great time to bring in another top CF as cover and competition for Kane.

Go get the man Poch wants, Daniel - whoever that may be!!

Ta mate. Did Dembele play alongside Dier with Alli further forward, or was it Alli who played deep?

Not read beyond this question so you might've received an answer already, but Alli started deep and switched with Dembele around the half-hour mark where he suddenly came right into the game, drifting everywhere across the front and wherever. Thus we took control off the match and stifled Soton. Dembele (with Poch's help) has now done the final thing I thought he could not do...he played deeper yet still kept the game moving. Tremendous. Thought I thought Coco had a cracker today too. Strong, ballsy win.

Should have booked (minimum) whoever maimed Alli for Kane's goal and why wasn't the foul by Classie on Lamella when he was last man given...

Yes on both counts, i was fudging FURIOUS both times. It's as though Soton saw west brom and thought they could muscle us.

Were you watching in the cat videos on youtube that had the Irish guys commentating? It was setanta

I don't think we switched much at all. Just that Alli dropped back for a period

got to again agree - sort of- and say I am not sure what the stetanta guys were seeing in that case, because a chalkboard freeze would show people that Alli was roaming with lot more forward freedom after 30 minutes or so, and that from that point on you never saw Dembele pushing into forward positions. To my eyes they are wrong, and it was absolutely the other way around. In fact I think when Alli was sitting deeper at the start, he was getting lost and we were unable to push forward with any numbers (unless he was just being pressed back along with the entire side!). Once Dier and Dembele shut the door back there (at one point early on I swear Dier was almost dropping in for a back five we were getting pushed back that much) it was a won game. I tend to pay no attention to some of those pundits BTW. We had another feed over here, but I still didn't pay much!

Last edited:
got to again agree - sort of- and say I am not sure what the stetanta guys were seeing in that case, because a chalkboard freeze would show people that Alli was roaming with lot more forward freedom after 30 minutes or so, and that from that point on you never saw Dembele pushing into forward positions. To my eyes they are wrong, and it was absolutely the other way around. In fact I think when Alli was sitting deeper at the start, he was getting lost and we were unable to push forward with any numbers. Once Dier and Dembele shut the door back there (at one point early on I swear Dier was almost dropping in for a back five we were getting pushed back that much) it was a won game. I tend to pay no attention to some of those second tier pundits BTW. We had another feed over here, but I still didn't pay much!

The was several times when Dier did drop back to make it 5 and we looked so comfortable that way as he need he had an out ball in Dembele

The was several times when Dier did drop back to make it 5 and we looked so comfortable that way as he need he had an out ball in Dembele

Glad my eyes didn't deceive me :)...interesting too how important Davies was early-doors, kept it tight and simple in the early onslaught from Soton. Again though, I have to say, watching Dembele carry from deep and NOT dither/get caught in possession, but instead consistently deliver maintained possession is something I simply didn't think he had in his locker. Alli is a special player when given the license he got late in the first half, what fluid movement he has...

A really good day today as we won comfortably without being brilliant but were solid, gritted it, fought for it and in the end were easy winners.

Funking GREAT Result!!
Clean sheet - CHECK!
Away win at a hostile ground - CHECK!
Kane goal - CHECK!
Top Hugo saves to keep a cleans sheet - CHECK!

Don't care about the reports of us being outplayed in the first 30mins; after the last few weeks, the result was all important.

Oh and now we're top 4!!

Great stuff! Well done lads, well done Poch!

COYS

Last edited:
Glad my eyes didn't deceive me :)...interesting too how important Davies was early-doors, kept it tight and simple in the early onslaught from Soton. Again though, I have to say, watching Dembele carry from deep and NOT dither/get caught in possession, but instead consistently deliver maintained possession is something I simply didn't think he had in his locker. Alli is a special player when given the license he got late in the first half, what fluid movement he has...

A really good day today as we won comfortably without being brilliant but were solid, gritted it, fought for it and in the end were easy winners.

I think Rose is a better player than Davies but I like Davies and always have done. He is boring which is how I like my defenders

Thrilled we're finally in the top 4, but not so much with our performance. We seemed to lack the fluidity we had in previous matches and there were quite a few sloppy passes to go around. Nevertheless, mission accomplished and it's good to see we can win matches when not on top of our game. Toby was outstanding, Moose was key once again, and Lamela worked hard and didn't seem to put a foot wrong. Far cry from the player from one year ago. Alli looks like he needs to sit out a game or two. Either he's tired, or not totally focused mentally.

Overall the team isn't performing at the high octane level it did at the start of the season. Not sure why, but hoping for a super performance against Norwich next week, coupled with a comfortable win.

COYS!

Agree @alekaras but great to see us get the rub of the green finally. Its not an easy place to go and win.

Want to see us passing better, and the attacking 3 drop deeper to help build from the back - when we kept giving away possession in our half. We let southampton niggle and close us out the game for 20 odd minutes. Dembele to be fair stepped up, and Lloris had a proper rant to try and change the teams direction, but the rest of them need to show more maturity and awareness. You want Lamela, Eriksen the #10 moving into a 5 man midfield to help us get control, players asserting themselves when fouled, and the team to actively take back control of the game quicker. Yes Dembele moving deeper probably helped. Had Southampton put the ball in the net in that spell we'd probably have lost or drawn...and it would be a whinge fest now.

There is much to build upon from today, things to improve, but give me a well fought win over an admirable draw any day!

Last edited:
Sitting in top four at Chrimbo exceeded my wildest expectations.

Now a great time to bring in another top CF as cover and competition for Kane.

Go get the man Poch wants, Daniel - whoever that may be!!

What were supposed to be our two most important signings this season Clinton and Son..account for nothing so far this season..injuries and now not scoring or contributing with the rest of the squad...
wasted signings?
To keep us in the top four and a very long shot for the Title we need
another defensive skilful midfield player, don't ask me where from, though!
I don't have any knowledge of players abroad who could fill this gap!
This would strengthen the squad in the right place IMO.
Then we look for a striker.lol
I just feel that if Dembele gets injured we have no replacement in that position with his calibre...............

Yes on both counts, i was fudgeing FURIOUS both times. It's as though Soton saw west brom and thought they could muscle us.
Actually thought the referee was our Friend today (see what I did there?) by brilliantly allowing play to continue for Kane's goal then going back and booking Fonte for the way he cleaned out Alli in the build-up.

We started with Dembele next to Dier and Alli behind Kane, with Eriksen on the left.
After ~8 minutes Alli went back to sit with Dier and Dembele went up behind Kane, which didn't work either.
After ~28 minutes Alli moved up to the left side, Eriksen went behind Kane and Dembele went back with Dier, which is when we got control of the game.

Not sure if these changes made all the difference, or if Soton just got worn down after dominating the opening bit of the game... but things looked a lot better after half an hour and we got the 2 goals and that was that really, Lloris did very little second half apart from right near the end.

I think Lloris was shouting that he didn't have a "wide right" option from a goal kick. You know how Verts goes to the left of the box and Toby goes to the right, maybe Toby didn't? No idea really, just saw it on a laptop and guessed as the wide view wasn't shown.

Great result today, we all knew Utd were looking weak and we did what we needed to do and now we are fourth! More importantly though, we recovered superbly after last weekends mess. We were much more stable, looked in complete control and as soon as goal two went it. It was over. Roll on Boxing day! COYS

I have just watched the game. Haven't read the thread, so bear with me if what I'm writing has already been said. I thought we looked awful the first 25-30 minutes. In lack of better words I thought we looked indifferent, and it looked like we were playing for a draw! However, something seemed to wake us up, and the Moose started to take control of the game and ended up completely owning the midfield in the 2nd half! My GHod he is strong on the ball! 1st goal saw 2 crucial challenges by Lamela and Alli. No bottling the challenge there! Fonte deservedly got the yellow after Kane coolly slotted it home. Have to give credit to Friend for playing the advantage there! Very good pass from Walker for the second. Awful defending from Southampton on both goals really. All in all a strong performance where we didn't let Southampton get to many chances. Just two really, both saved superbly by Lloris. Think no one really stood out apart from The Moose. He was just bloody good! COYS!

We started with Dembele next to Dier and Alli behind Kane, with Eriksen on the left.
After ~8 minutes Alli went back to sit with Dier and Dembele went up behind Kane, which didn't work either.
After ~28 minutes Alli moved up to the left side, Eriksen went behind Kane and Dembele went back with Dier, which is when we got control of the game.

Not sure if these changes made all the difference, or if Soton just got worn down after dominating the opening bit of the game... but things looked a lot better after half an hour and we got the 2 goals and that was that really, Lloris did very little second half apart from right near the end.

I think Lloris was shouting that he didn't have a "wide right" option from a goal kick. You know how Verts goes to the left of the box and Toby goes to the right, maybe Toby didn't? No idea really, just saw it on a laptop and guessed as the wide view wasn't shown.

It was the shift on 28 mins (thought it was 30 at the time but close enough ;-) ) that made the difference. From the moment Dembele dropped in and Alli went up, to my eye it became that fluid four where Alli and Eriksen in particular swapped off. The key was allowing Alli the freedom to play where he plays best (further forward and roaming) but critically too, Dembele has really come on some with regards to playing deep, something I never ever thought he would master with a side trying to play quickly like we do. He continues to prove me wrong and I am deeeeeelighted about it!

Back