• Dear Guest, Please note that adult content is not permitted on this forum. We have had our Google ads disabled at times due to some posts that were found from some time ago. Please do not post adult content and if you see any already on the forum, please report the post so that we can deal with it. Adult content is allowed in the glory hole - you will have to request permission to access it. Thanks, scara

*** OMT Spurs vs PSV ***

Man of the Match

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
Have we passed up other trophies? That would suggest they were there for the taking and we opted out - simply not the case for me.

We have gone into every cup game with a team capable of winning. That we havent is the nature of cup football, not by design IMO.

Exactly right. Last couple of years we have used rotated teams in the early rounds of the FA Cup and progressed to the semi finals, whereby we picked out strongest team and lost.

Exactly right. Last couple of years we have used rotated teams in the early rounds of the FA Cup and progressed to the semi finals, whereby we picked out strongest team and lost.

I think the Dortmuind round of 16 EL tie in 2016 is a clear example when we have opted out of going for a trophy (regardless of whether in the end we would have been good enough or not..).
The starting line-ups showed we clearly prioritised a top 4/title chase over winning the EL (plus we were out of the FA Cup by this time as well)

I think the Dortmuind round of 16 EL tie in 2016 is a clear example when we have opted out of going for a trophy (regardless of whether in the end we would have been good enough or not..).
The starting line-ups showed we clearly prioritised a top 4/title chase over winning the EL (plus we were out of the FA Cup by this time as well)

I'd probably agree with you there, that's the only one I can think of. But generaly, it hasn't affected our pursuit of trophies, we have been good at getting through early rounds with weaker sides, it's the business end where we tend to mess up, with our best players.

I'd probably agree with you there, that's the only one I can think of. But generaly, it hasn't affected our pursuit of trophies, we have been good at getting through early rounds with weaker sides, it's the business end where we tend to mess up, with our best players.

Yeah i guess messing up was certainly what could be levelled at what happened in our last two FA Cup semi-finals, especially the Man Utd one where we took the lead and were in control before Dembele's c0ck-up.

The other times we've gone out generally the situation has been:

a) the other team have had a better team/squad to play us or
b) we've used some of our more 'squad-level' players in key positions and not been able to quite play at the level we would in the league.

Some of those that fall into b have been disgraceful though, such as the games vs Leicester in Poch's first season (FA Cup), Palace (FA Cup) and West ham (LC) last season.

Edit - I guess, when you go out the less 'what if' thoughts re what team was played the easier to 'get over' the disappointment...i think...

We were in the title race at that point and it was rightly prioritized, didn't we also have FA Cup and league cup latter stage games to contend with?

Yeah i guess messing up was certainly what could be levelled at what happened in our last two FA Cup semi-finals, especially the Man Utd one where we took the lead and were in control before Dembele's c0ck-up.

The other times we've gone out generally the situation has been:

a) the other team have had a better team/squad to play us or
b) we've used some of our more 'squad-level' players in key positions and not been able to quite play at the level we would in the league.

Some of those that fall into b have been disgraceful though, such as the games vs Leicester in Poch's first season (FA Cup), Palace (FA Cup) and West ham (LC) last season.

Edit - I guess, when you go out the less 'what if' thoughts re what team was played the easier to 'get over' the disappointment...i think...

I must admit, I didn't remember the Leicester and Palace games. The West Ham one from last season, I think the team was good enough. 2-0 up at half-time, nine times out of ten we win from there I think.

Overall though, we've got to a league cup final and 2 FA Cup semi finals with Poch's management of the squad. So the lack of cup success isn't down to rotation imo, as the squad players have -- on 3 occasions -- put us in a position where the first-team can go and win the tournament.

I'm probably totally wrong, but I think he's gonna start Skipp.*

--------------Lloris--------------
KWP----Alder----Sanchez---Aurier
--Eriksen---Winks--Skipp
Dele------Kane-----Sonny

*He won't.

------------Gazzaniga---------------
Aurier--Toby--Sanchez--Davies
--------Winks------Alli----------------
Moura-----Eriksen--------Son-----
---------------Kane--------------------

subs: Vorm, Trippier, KWP, Skipp, Sissoko, Lamela, Llorente