• Dear Guest, Please note that adult content is not permitted on this forum. We have had our Google ads disabled at times due to some posts that were found from some time ago. Please do not post adult content and if you see any already on the forum, please report the post so that we can deal with it. Adult content is allowed in the glory hole - you will have to request permission to access it. Thanks, scara

OMT - Spurs v Inter

Gutted ...speechless....didn't deserve that ... heartbreak ....

:)
Take it out on Villa next week...

Pitch didn't look amazing on the stream. Was it cutting up? Maybe they are still figuring out how to prep a pitch in a tray. More sand?

It was a really successful formation for us at times last season. We probably wouldn't have got to the CL final without it. The good thing is that we nearly always switch formation three or four times a game under Poch, so if you don't like it, you don't have long to wait for something different.
It was rarely sucessful as far as I can remember. Dortmund at home we played 5-3-2/3-5-2. Not my favourite formation either, as it gives you similar problems defensively as in the diamond with not being able to cover the width defensively, but it worked well in the second half in that game when we pushed our wing backs higher. In the return leg we started in the same formation, but quickly had too change to a 5-4-1 because we couldn't contain Dortmund.

City at home:
A 4-2-3-1 formation in what was a solid performance by us.

City away:
Started in the diamond, which might have contributed to us scoring two early goals, but it also left us completely open in the other end. At 3-2 we changed to a 4-2-3-1 which made us more solid.

Ajax at home:
Started in a 5-3-2 which didn't work well at all. When Vertonghen went off, we changed to four at the back. I can't remember if it was a diamond or a 4-2-3-1, either way, it helped us get better control of the game, but we didn't create much.

Ajax away:
We played 4-2-3-1 in that second half.

So, to sum it all up:
If the diamond was important in our run to get to the CL final, that was all down to ten minutes in Manchester. It hasn't been a success in the league either. We pretty much always look horrible in it. The exceptions was Chelsea at home last season because they couldn't work out that they needed to switch play from side to side and use the flanks.

The constant changing of formation from game to game and during games is also a problem the way I see it. We've done best under Poch when we've had a settled team and a settled formation over time. Yes, we've had periods playing 4-2-3-1 and a period when we played 5-4-1/3-4-3, but we kept those formations over a period of time, which made it possible for the players to find the rhythm and each other on the pitch.

The flexibilty in formations started partly two seasons ago, but was most prominent last season. And last season was our worst season since the first season under Poch in terms of the quality of our play, and possibly also in terms of points and goals scored and conceded. Our CL run masked that. Even early in the season, when we picked up a lot of points, we were grinding out results rather than actually playing well. Injuries throughout the season and a difficult pre-season played a role, but if we have fewer injuries this season, we should try to keep a more settled team/formation. And if that formation is going to be the diamond, it needs a lot of work or tweaking, cause it hasn't worked well so far.

The changing of formation during games is a consequence of getting the formation wrong from the start. You don't change the formation if things are working out well.

Two terrible penalties from Eriksen in the space of a week. Didn't do much in the game. If he ends up staying he better knuckle down or we are going to suffer for it.

He’s always had a mental fragility. If he stays I could see him struggling for a while. I think he had left us in his head at the end of last season. Staying, particularly as a result of no one really wanting him, will be a tricky situation for him to handle imo.

As I've said before, I don't ever see what benefits playing with a diamond offers us as a team and the players as individuals. Poch seems instant in forcing it through, but whenever we've played it we've ended up switching formations.

It just doesn't suit us as a team, also it let's Kane try and play as a complete forward rather than a #9, something which doesn't benefit us either. Stay up to p and score goals.

It was rarely sucessful as far as I can remember. Dortmund at home we played 5-3-2/3-5-2. Not my favourite formation either, as it gives you similar problems defensively as in the diamond with not being able to cover the width defensively, but it worked well in the second half in that game when we pushed our wing backs higher. In the return leg we started in the same formation, but quickly had too change to a 5-4-1 because we couldn't contain Dortmund.

City at home:

City away:
Started in the diamond, which might have contributed to us scoring two early goals, but it also left us completely open in the other end. At 3-2 we changed to a 4-2-3-1 which made us more solid.

Ajax at home:
Started in a 5-3-2 which didn't work well at all. When Vertonghen went off, we changed to four at the back. I can't remember if it was a diamond or a 4-2-3-1, either way, it helped us get better control of the game, but we didn't create much.

Ajax away:

So, to sum it all up:
If the diamond was important in our run to get to the CL final, that was all down to ten minutes in Manchester. It hasn't been a success in the league either. We pretty much always look horrible in it. The exceptions was Chelsea at home last season because they couldn't work out that they needed to switch play from side to side and use the flanks.

The constant changing of formation from game to game and during games is also a problem the way I see it. We've done best under Poch when we've had a settled team and a settled formation over time. Yes, we've had periods playing 4-2-3-1 and a period when we played 5-4-1/3-4-3, but we kept those formations over a period of time, which made it possible for the players to find the rhythm and each other on the pitch.

The flexibilty in formations started partly two seasons ago, but was most prominent last season. And last season was our worst season since the first season under Poch in terms of the quality of our play, and possibly also in terms of points and goals scored and conceded. Our CL run masked that. Even early in the season, when we picked up a lot of points, we were grinding out results rather than actually playing well. Injuries throughout the season and a difficult pre-season played a role, but if we have fewer injuries this season, we should try to keep a more settled team/formation. And if that formation is going to be the diamond, it needs a lot of work or tweaking, cause it hasn't worked well so far.

The changing of formation during games is a consequence of getting the formation wrong from the start. You don't change the formation if things are working out well.

Played a diamond against chelsea at home which was probably one of our best performances last season

58,000+

Ticket office were saying it was a sell out although there were some enpty seats around us.

As I've said before, I don't ever see what benefits playing with a diamond offers us as a team and the players as individuals. Poch seems instant in forcing it through, but whenever we've played it we've ended up switching formations.

It just doesn't suit us as a team, also it let's Kane try and play as a complete forward rather than a #9, something which doesn't benefit us either. Stay up to p and score goals.

We always switch formations several times a game. We also always play different offensive and defensive formations. That is the beauty of having flexible players like we do.

There were plenty of times last season where we switched to a diamond and got control of the game.

City at home:

City away:

Ajax at home:

Ajax away:

So, to sum it all up:

So in defence of your argument you pick our two games against the best team in the country. I wonder if there are other factors that we might want to consider? :confused:

We switch formations when we have to, when we're playing well we don't. I've never seen has controlling a game then switch formations, it makes no sense to.

Last season we'd start in a diamond, play badly for 20 mins and then switch and play better. This happened repeatedly.

Back