• Dear Guest, Please note that adult content is not permitted on this forum. We have had our Google ads disabled at times due to some posts that were found from some time ago. Please do not post adult content and if you see any already on the forum, please report the post so that we can deal with it. Adult content is allowed in the glory hole - you will have to request permission to access it. Thanks, scara

OMT SPURS v burnley

Both your quoted examples are for players that the selling club DONT want to sell

We have got £18m for Wimmer today and that's a fair price with nothing to do with timings IMO

I'd imagine that we wanted to sell Wimmer. So £18m is an acceptable price on that basis. Most clubs don't want to sell their best players, so unless a club is selling a player off, then big money is usually required and can be linked to an escalation in price. Selling clubs may additionally be less inclined to conduct transfers nearer deadline day as they will be less likely to find a suitable replacement at an acceptable price.

I'd imagine that we wanted to sell Wimmer. So £18m is an acceptable price on that basis. Most clubs don't want to sell their best players, so unless a club is selling a player off, then big money is usually required and can be linked to an escalation in price. Selling clubs may additionally be less inclined to conduct transfers nearer deadline day as they will be less likely to find a suitable replacement at an acceptable price.

Take Kyle Walker for example, how long did we know that he was going to be sold? It was fairly common knowledge since around April-May time that something wasn't right and we would be in the market for a new right back. We have just played our third league game and we still haven't signed his replacement, which has meant we have started the season with Trippier who is a high level backup player but whose level in terms of starting for a PL club is a midtable club like Everton or Southampton I would say. His backup is KWP who Poch said only a few weeks ago "wasn't ready".

Take Kyle Walker for example, how long did we know that he was going to be sold? It was fairly common knowledge since around April-May time that something wasn't right and we would be in the market for a new right back. We have just played our third league game and we still haven't signed his replacement, which has meant we have started the season with Trippier who is a high level backup player but whose level in terms of starting for a PL club is a midtable club like Everton or Southampton I would say. His backup is KWP who Poch said only a few weeks ago "wasn't ready".
Poch said on April 25, "The players that we want to keep, we will keep, because (Levy) said to me 'we don't need money'. If we sell some players it is because we want to sell some players.

"We will sell players because of the players we want to sign."

Then around May 7/8 Graham Roberts tweeted in response to Simon Jordan's claim that several players wanted out that Walker would be the only big name to be sold in the summer, and so it has proved thus far.

It wasn't a problem when we finished last season with him.

It wasn't a problem when we finished last season with him.

He did well for the most part but he will come unstuck when we play the top sides like when United for example when Martial gave him a bit of a roasting. He has limitations defensively. Do you think he's good enough to start for a top 4 calibre side week in, week out just of out interest?

We have been linked heavily with Aurier, that suggests that Poch is in the market for a higher calibre player in Trippier's position.

Last edited:
He did well for the most part but he will come unstuck when we play the top sides like when United for example when Martial gave him a bit of a roasting. He has limitations defensively. Do you think he's good enough to start for a top 4 calibre side week in, week out just of out interest?

He played for a top four side last season and was playing week in, week out by the end of the season, so yes. Should we improve this position if we can? Yes. Should we panic after three games. No.

He played for a top four side last season and was playing week in, week out by the end of the season, so yes. Should we improve this position if we can? Yes. Should we panic after three games. No.

Fair enough if you think he's good enough to play week in week out, I disagree.

Who said anyone is panicking? But we have been linked with various right backs since the start of the summer and yet the transfer closes in 2 days and we haven't signed anyone.

Who said anyone is panicking? But we have been linked with various right backs since the start of the summer and yet the transfer closes in 2 days and we haven't signed anyone.

I said that I would be happy with an upgrade if we can get one. The two games that he has played this season have been in a back four which gives him less license to get forward.

I am surprised that you are surprised that we are leaving our business until late in the window.

Could be that Aurier was our first choice and he hasn't really been on the table until PSG signed Alves and made him first choice and other clubs with more money seems to have backed off, not to mention his work permit issues.

Unfortunately signing top players early is not really an option for us at the moment. Any top quality player ( and more especially their agent) will be waiting to see if the money doped clubs may be interested in signing you. Let's be fair, wouldn't you do the same in their position?

Consequently, we are forced to wait till the sharks have finished their feeding frenzy before we are likely to be able to conclude our business. Even when we think they are done, it's not all over. United might still steal Aurier and Chelsea could nick Barkley. Regrettably, we are where we are.

Pochettino said as much himself the other week.

We have to wait for the big spenders to get it out of their system before making any moves.

Thats our place in order of things.

Look at how much Utd and City etc inflated the market early in the window? Its only now that things are normalising somewhat.

Aside from that, given who/what we are, we are generally looking at a very small pool of players to improve us* which means we cannot afford to show our hand too early. Clubs like Utd and Chelsea would, I have no doubt, gazzump us just to spite us.

*We dont have the top money for wages or fees, we dont have the outright kudos of some clubs, we do play a very defined system and so need quite specific attributes, we have a policy on age and potential - it all adds up to the fact that players good enough, at the right price, and willing to come arent exactly plentiful

Back