• Dear Guest, Please note that adult content is not permitted on this forum. We have had our Google ads disabled at times due to some posts that were found from some time ago. Please do not post adult content and if you see any already on the forum, please report the post so that we can deal with it. Adult content is allowed in the glory hole - you will have to request permission to access it. Thanks, scara

OMT SPURS v burnley

Over one season you are right, because nothing is guaranteed, but surely it is better to get your players in early and have a full squad available?
How many times has this happened? It must make a difference.
Poch is saying he needs 3 more players. It is going to be a last minute scramble, where we could end up with anyone. Perhaps trying to hijack and deal , like Sissoko.

I'm just countering the assertion that early signings guarantee points and that's it's a simple fix.

It's well documented why we tend not to make early signings. It's a reality rather than an ideology but people still use it as a stick with which to beat the club.

We can name plenty of clubs that have made numerous signings that have started slowly.

It's a fault of the system which will hopefully be corrected next season.

We're also largely talking about a squad which finished 2nd last season, so it's not like we're starting from a position of weakness. We're pretty much at full strength so I don't think personnel is the issue in the early part if the season.

I think it's more just about getting into the swing of things, with a bit of adjustment to the change in routine thrown in.

It's well documented why we tend not to make early signings.

Forgive me that documentation must have passed me by, kindly explain or tell me where it is documented.
We hav
We're also largely talking about a squad which finished 2nd last season, so it's not like we're starting from a position of weakness. We're pretty much at full strength so I don't think personnel is the issue in the early part if the season.

But by not improving we are standing still, and while we are standing still other clubs are improving so we are in effect going backward. For clarification I am talking about our attack in particular. With Harry and his August woes and Son not being match fit we do not seem to have a plan B. It is obvious by his non inclusion that Janssen is not even trusted from the bench

Too many or multiple signings have proved very counterproductive for us in the past.

We have not come remotely close to ""
We'll be strong as the season progresses. Adding some fresh blood will help, and when Rose, Lamela and Wanyama are back, we'll have a very strong squad.
Lloris, Vorm, Gazzinga
Trippier, KWP, Aurier, Sanchez, Alderweireld, (Foyth), Verthongen, Davies, Rose
Wanyama, Dembele, Dier, Winks
Lamela, Eriksen, Son, Alli, Sissoko, (Barkley), Nkoudu, Oakley-Boothe
Kane, Janssen/New Striker.

How many of those players you name do you think Poch trusts enough to start a league or CL match? I would not include Lamela because unfortunately we have no idea when or if he will be back this season

We have not come remotely close to ""

How many of those players you name do you think Poch trusts enough to start a league or CL match? I would not include Lamela because unfortunately we have no idea when or if he will be back this season
Pretty much all of them, with maybe the exception of Nkoudu, Oakley-Boothe and Foyth (if he comes).

Forgive me that documentation must have passed me by, kindly explain or tell me where it is documented.
We hav

But by not improving we are standing still, and while we are standing still other clubs are improving so we are in effect going backward. For clarification I am talking about our attack in particular. With Harry and his August woes and Son not being match fit we do not seem to have a plan B. It is obvious by his non inclusion that Janssen is not even trusted from the bench

We are three games in. This time last season we were all supposed to be watching City's march to the title and the continuing disintegration of Chelsea. I'll begin to think about which clubs have moved forward and which haven't after the 10 game mark.

We are three games in. This time last season we were all supposed to be watching City's march to the title and the continuing disintegration of Chelsea. I'll begin to think about which clubs have moved forward and which haven't after the 10 game mark.

I know that our options have not improved if Kane gets injured and I can see that Poch has very little faith in Janssen.

We have CL football so if Kane got injured we would be without both Kane and Dele and not a lot else.

The window is still open. I expect we'll make at least two more signings.

Harry was out for two extended spells last season; Poch shuffled the pack and we did more than alright.

My thoughts as well, we had chances in both the Chelski and Burnley game but failed to take them. Far too early to start with the doom and gloom posts and remarks that i have heard since Sunday. I can not believe that some fans think we are going to struggle because we did not get the 9 points from three games.

Every season it's the same. We start the season unprepared, without having completed our transfers. We have to use players who are not ready to start the season, as we have a lack of depth in the squad. We gamble on players fitness and then we are stung. I really wish that the transfer window closed before the season started, that or we would just get our transfers completed early, rather than deliberating about it all. I never understand how it can take so long to process transfers. I know it doesn't work like Football Manager, but equally, when the January transfer window closes, that doesn't stop club discussing prospective transfers for the summer, both in-house, and between the two clubs. That the season can then end in May, and there is no major International Tournament and signings still having been completed over 3 months later is inexcusable. It's failure to adequately prepare, it's failure to get the squad together and ready, and then failure by relying on players who are not yet ready. But I almost guarantee you that next summer will be exactly the same, with further support granted by the players presence in the World Cup. Agents and players are unlikely to conclude transfers until their teams participation in the tournament is over. So, we can look forward to some transfer deadline day specials next season. And when I say specials, they are just as likely to be the Saha and Nelsen double act, as they are to be a VDV.

I take comfort in the fact that practically every PL club agrees that the transfer window should close before the season starts and I believe it will happen eventually, common sense has to prevail at some point. Even if you put incoming transfers aside, it's hardly ideal when you have players just waiting around to be sold like Wimmer.

Before any of the "if we sign players early and pay more money we will do a Leeds" posters jump all over this, I fully accept that getting transfer done and dusted early guarantees nothing, but surely you have to concede that you give yourself a fair greater chance of succeeding? There aren't many facts in life but if you have two options and one of those options gives you a better chance of achieving your targets, would you not take it?

I take comfort in the fact that practically every PL club agrees that the transfer window should close before the season starts and I believe it will happen eventually, common sense has to prevail at some point. Even if you put incoming transfers aside, it's hardly ideal when you have players just waiting around to be sold like Wimmer.

Before any of the "if we sign players early and pay more money we will do a Leeds" posters jump all over this, I fully accept that getting transfer done and dusted early guarantees nothing, but surely you have to concede that you give yourself a fair greater chance of succeeding? There aren't many facts in life but if you have two options and one of those options gives you a better chance of achieving your targets, would you not take it?

We aren't likely to do a Leeds, but if it costs an additional 5-10-15 million that quickly adds up to another player that we can't afford. Everton got most of their deals done early and it doesn't appear to have helped one bit. Then there's the fact that it isn't always up to us. There's a player and an agent involved that might not have their hearts set on joining Spurs.

We aren't likely to do a Leeds, but if it costs an additional 5-10-15 million that quickly adds up to another player that we can't afford. Everton got most of their deals done early and it doesn't appear to have helped one bit. Then there's the fact that it isn't always up to us. There's a player and an agent involved that might not have their hearts set on joining Spurs.

Well as I said before, it's not a guarantee but I can only believe it would improve our chances of starting the season on a better foot. Let's just hope they will eventually change the rules so that the window closes before the season starts, that way the decision is taken out of our hands, and the rest of the clubs.

Arguably it may have cost us an extra £10-15 million conducting our transfers late. Firstly, we may drop points in matches which we are ill prepared for. I'd argue, and have done so, that this has happened this season. Then, you risk perceived values of players increasing. Does anyone really think Davinson Sanchez is worth £40m? A highly rated defender but arguably a player who we still paid over the odds for. Bonucci cost Milan a lot less and is, at this moment, a better defender.

Other examples can come from World football and include Barcelona offering £100m for Coutinho. £89m was considered a huge amount at start of transfer window, following last year's Pogba move. That this was more than doubled in one year is insane. Act early before prices go crazy.

Then the value of having a player available who trains with the squad and understands the tactics. This can't be priced but it's value is certainly of significance.

Arguably it may have cost us an extra £10-15 million conducting our transfers late. Firstly, we may drop points in matches which we are ill prepared for. I'd argue, and have done so, that this has happened this season. Then, you risk perceived values of players increasing. Does anyone really think Davinson Sanchez is worth £40m? A highly rated defender but arguably a player who we still paid over the odds for. Bonucci cost Milan a lot less and is, at this moment, a better defender.

Other examples can come from World football and include Barcelona offering £100m for Coutinho. £89m was considered a huge amount at start of transfer window, following last year's Pogba move. That this was more than doubled in one year is insane. Act early before prices go crazy.

Then the value of having a player available who trains with the squad and understands the tactics. This can't be priced but it's value is certainly of significance.

Both your quoted examples are for players that the selling club DONT want to sell

We have got £18m for Wimmer today and that's a fair price with nothing to do with timings IMO

. Does anyone really think Davinson Sanchez is worth £40m? A highly rated defender but arguably a player who we still paid over the odds for. Bonucci cost Milan a lot less and is, at this moment, a better defender.

Even when Bonucci moved it was commented that he was cheap - he was insisting on staying in Italy, if he wanted to go to City or Chelsea they were getting quoted double. To use him as an example of doing business early is a bit disingenuous.

Back