• Dear Guest, Please note that adult content is not permitted on this forum. We have had our Google ads disabled at times due to some posts that were found from some time ago. Please do not post adult content and if you see any already on the forum, please report the post so that we can deal with it. Adult content is allowed in the glory hole - you will have to request permission to access it. Thanks, scara

Oliver Skipp

So the thing is, that congestion is by design

I didn't quite understand the Ange system from what people described, but watching it in preseason and yesterday, what you see is, with the midfield three plus the FBs coming into that space, the midfield is congested, it means when we lose the ball there generally isn't a route strait through the middle, you have to go wide to counter, and typically diagonally wide (as our wingers are high and wide as well). We could argue what it means, but what I saw was the opposition has to take the longer route, gives quick CBs/FB's chance to recover

Re Skipp, I think your CM players need to be very comfortable in tight spaces, something Bissouma, Bentancur, Sarr, Maddison are much better than him at.

Yes it was almost like we could have done with a player like Solomon or Gil rather than Skipp in that game (or Skipp plays where Royal was). But Brenford are quite unique. The way they so effectively pack the final third is impressive. Most other teams won't close the space as well.

I don't think Postecoglou changed things up enough. We needed a bit more down the flanks to pull and stretch them second half. It was encouraging to see runs and overlaps down the flanks, but it needed to be coordinated better with runners to the edge of the box, in the box, other side of the box etc to receive a pass or cross. And it needed to be faster.

Skipp was blocked out the game and it wasn't clear where he should go. Maybe he needed to support Kulu more and create more 1-2s and triangles around the edge of the box.

Last edited:
Yes it was almost like we could have done with a player like Solomon or Gil rather than Skipp in that game (or Skipp plays where Royal was). But Brenford are quite unique. The way they so effectively pack the final third is impressive. Most other teams won't close the space as well.

I don't think Postecoglou changed things up enough. We needed a bit more down the flanks to pull and stretch them second half. It was encouraging to see runs and overlaps down the flanks, but it needed to be coordinated better with runners to the edge of the box, in the box, other side of the box etc to receive a pass or cross. And it needed to be faster.

Skipp was blocked out the game and it wasn't clear where he should go. Maybe he needed to support Kulu more and create more 1-2s and triangles around the edge of the box.
Yes, Skipp didn't seem well suited to what he did, and nor did Kulu. Almost like Kulu would have been more suited to the deeper role, and Solomon would have been more suited to the forward role.

It is strange to see the fullbacks Udogie and Royal joining Bissouma as a midfield 3 quite a bit... a very strange midfield 3.

It was too crowded in the corner with a 5 man defence ...our players weren't circulating enough and short passes in attack not as pacey as Liverpool or arsenal ...yet. I'm sure the players and ange will sort it out in time.

Quite pleased that the big issue is upfront rather than at the back.

I think the team needs to create overloads down the weaker side of teams like Brentford. It was hard to force things through the middle and while our crossing was decent, Richarlison isn’t the same target man that Kane is. Hopefully Skipp comes good as we need more HG options around.

I think the team needs to create overloads down the weaker side of teams like Brentford. It was hard to force things through the middle and while our crossing was decent, Richarlison isn’t the same target man that Kane is. Hopefully Skipp comes good as we need more HG options around.

They attempted to but Brentford played 5 at the back and had their men consistently behind the ball. We needed a more creative LW and the Skipp role to break Brentford. I also agree that Richarlison isn't that good a target man. Don't be surprised to see teams play the 5 man at the back vs Spurs. I also hope Ange has a plan B for more defensive play.

They attempted to but Brentford played 5 at the back and had their men consistently behind the ball. We needed a more creative LW and the Skipp role to break Brentford. I also agree that Richarlison isn't that good a target man. Don't be surprised to see teams play the 5 man at the back vs Spurs. I also hope Ange has a plan B for more defensive play.

It was game.one of the new system in the league, I'm sure it will refine and the plan A will have success against teams in future.

Not sure if this was picked up on TV, but when the late VAR review for a handball pen was going on, I noticed a couple of their players got around the penalty spot and started scuffing it up in case the pen was awarded. Skippy noticed and ran over and got in their way and protected it.

Really good awareness from him (and them tbf)...only good thing he did, mind

Not sure if this was picked up on TV, but when the late VAR review for a handball pen was going on, I noticed a couple of their players got around the penalty spot and started scuffing it up in case the pen was awarded. Skippy noticed and ran over and got in their way and protected it.

Really good awareness from him (and them tbf)...only good thing he did, mind
They should retrospectively issue a 1 game ban to the players that did it and that would stop that from happening again.

As this is basic common sense obviously it wont happen.

I've been a bit harsh on Skippy in a few of the OMTs of late, but he's really doing a job for us in less than ideal circumstances. Just gets on with it, really grew into the game yesterday too. Fair play Oliver, forget how young he is sometimes.

Not sure the pace of Ange's Spurs suits him, and he's struggled this season (never for a lack of effort), decent game yesterday

His biggest issue will always be he is going to be compared to the other midfielders in the squad, Bentancur, Bissouma, Sarr, Maddison, even GLC, he's simply not that level ..

Not sure the pace of Ange's Spurs suits him, and he's struggled this season (never for a lack of effort), decent game yesterday

His biggest issue will always be he is going to be compared to the other midfielders in the squad, Bentancur, Bissouma, Sarr, Maddison, even GLC, he's simply not that level ..
I'm not sure it's level, more profile.. I just can't really think who he's a like-for-like swap for if you're talking about our first 11.

Maybe Sarr? But he doesn't seem positionally aware / athletic enough to do that role.. So then Bissouma / Bentancur? But he's not really able to carry the ball all that well.

He's a recycler / plays intricate little bounce passes and probably needs a bit more time when given the ball.. One thing for sure is you can never question his effort.

It all depends on Skippy's own outlook.

He might feel like Winks ie Spurs thru and thru and desperate to get some chances and make it work.
Of course, the day comes when you realise you're at a fork in the road.

In the meantime his dedication to us is a bonus. He could be quite low down in the pecking order but he's happy to be here and clearly is a dedicated pro and a learner.

He can fill in in situations like yesterday and give our regular starters 15/20 mins rest at the end of games....and be reliable doing that. And those rests are going to be much needed next season when we are back up to 55+ games.

It all depends on Skippy's own outlook.

He might feel like Winks ie Spurs thru and thru and desperate to get some chances and make it work.
Of course, the day comes when you realise you're at a fork in the road.

In the meantime his dedication to us is a bonus. He could be quite low down in the pecking order but he's happy to be here and clearly is a dedicated pro and a learner.

He can fill in in situations like yesterday and give our regular starters 15/20 mins rest at the end of games....and be reliable doing that. And those rests are going to be much needed next season when we are back up to 55+ games.

He's needed this season, no question

But I really hope we don't do a Winks with him, if PEH goes (now or summer) and we get someone else in, I hope we send Skipp out on loan at least (game time at his age is critical), with a fit Bentancur, Bissouma, Sarr, Maddison, new player x1/2 (depends on GLC as well), he could be 3rd choice.

I'm happy to keep Skipp but he needs to up his game a little. Out of possession he looks a little lost at times. You can see his whole game was previously based on being a fairly stable pivot. Receive, turn, release etc

But in our system he needs to be more mobile, actively look for space in the right areas to give and receive.

Tbh watching him yesterday. I'm very confused by his position. He was playing the 10?? But he never got in or around the box.

He did play some nice passes. But that's what you expect from the 8 or deeper. Maybe Ange is working on his game. Or just playing who he has. But out of the three we had available yesterday he told have been my third choice to play the 10.

But I think Ange wants more mobile players in the deep position to resist the press. So . .

I'm happy to keep Skipp but he needs to up his game a little. Out of possession he looks a little lost at times. You can see his whole game was previously based on being a fairly stable pivot. Receive, turn, release etc

But in our system he needs to be more mobile, actively look for space in the right areas to give and receive.

Tbh watching him yesterday. I'm very confused by his position. He was playing the 10?? But he never got in or around the box.

He did play some nice passes. But that's what you expect from the 8 or deeper. Maybe Ange is working on his game. Or just playing who he has. But out of the three we had available yesterday he told have been my third choice to play the 10.

But I think Ange wants more mobile players in the deep position to resist the press. So . .

This is what has been confusing me. At times he's almost treading on Richy's toes and was occasionally further forward on the left side than Werner was.

He's obviously a talented player but it's hard to see how anyone could make a case for him playing so far up. Because there's no threat from him in terms of attacking output it's not even like he is occupying defenders, they just ignore him as you would do. And then when we're out of possession it's so easy to get at our back four because of floaty midfielders that weren't going to achieve much anyways in those advanced positions. It's one thing having players like Porro / Destiny drifting in to a 10 role but it's not playing to Skipps strengths being there.....

Got to appreciate his efforts though, along with Pierre they're not exactly what you'd want but they both have a knack to simply being available when required. If you could fuse Skipp / PEH's reliability with GLC's skillset there'd be one hell of a player there.

With Skipp there's potential to improve and Ange must like what he sees (even if the usage of him looks really suspect imo), don't see us selling him anytime soon. You need players like him in the squad that aren't going to demand a starting spot but can step up when required.

That is the position Ange asked him to play though
What was the alternative I guess… Brian backwards gil

That is the position Ange asked him to play though
What was the alternative I guess… Brian backwards gil
well out of the three we had available. I would have thought even Rodrigo or PEH tbh. That was my point. Rodders can get in the box and has show he has a finish on him. But he is more press resistant.

PEH has a good pass and a good shot on him at times.

Im starting to think that even though its not his best position Ange wanted Bents and PEH in the deeper roles to resist the press and be more mobile. Thats all I can think really.

well out of the three we had available. I would have thought even Rodrigo or PEH tbh. That was my point. Rodders can get in the box and has show he has a finish on him. But he is more press resistant.

PEH has a good pass and a good shot on him at times.

Im starting to think that even though its not his best position Ange wanted Bents and PEH in the deeper roles to resist the press and be more mobile. Thats all I can think really.
I agree but I think it’s part of plan we don’t see as fans

If I was putting it on paper It would have been Pierre as the holder, Skipp B2B and Bentacur the 10 role

They did interchange a lot as the game went on TBF

Back